Thoughts on painted vs unpainted

Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Thoughts on painted vs unpainted

Post by Trollface » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:24 pm

I like painting, and modding, and fiddling. I just don't like my setups to look like anyone elses :?
That said, I have not finished painting all my cbs, I have one set of my secret weapons mines finished, 1 more to go, plus the extras. I have all my KSV stuff to paint, plus I am planning to get some basic cavern stuff on the restock, and then KS6 next year, and Mantic and Bones, I have enough for a lifetime. If situations like this don't thrill you, get painted. If you are going to cut them up and green stuff them and epoxy and ,... get unpainted.

To the person complaining about cost of paint:
I get very good results with folk art, or other cheap plaid products. I prime my pieces with army painter colored primer closest to the main color I am going to paint the piece, and that helps with the poor coverage of plaid paints.
For terrain I would not use a 10$ brush. Michael's with a coupon acrylic brushes are good enough, I only use my good kolinsky brushes for fine detail, and mostly on minis.

my 2c

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:29 pm

For me its always been a series of choices:
a) Do I think the piece needs to be painted (factory or otherwise) to be used the way I want to? (If no, unpainted it is. However I personally almost always think they need to be painted.)
b) Does it look like a piece I would have fun painting? (Even if just matching/near matching factory -- typically doing a few accent pieces is more interesting to me than bulk painting an entire set)
c) Is it a volume of pieces I can see myself painting, or is it just going to sit in a box? (I have five sets of ks1 still sitting in boxes... I have ~3 sets of ks2 I recently ordered to try a red rock I'm excited about, and a small castle worth of ks4 that I'm "actively" working on... but even the small castle's scope is sapping my desire to work on it)
d) (for store rather than KS purchase): Do I need the set for a game really quickly (painted it is)
e) Do I need a custom look? (redrock canyon and cavern-matching castle are the two big ones for me... Autumn forest will be a large one too.)

I seem to like the idea of spending a day painting, but almost never actually do it. I keep wanting to get large amounts of unpainted, but they often just sit. I think I need to find a hobby buddy. Either someone who wants to help me paint my stuff, or someone with their own, just to sit and chat with while painting.

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Well, this whole thread has me depressed. I was going to go completely unpainted based on Lady S’s advice, but now it appears she has changed her opinion. I am very, very particular about my paint jobs though, so I imagine the factory paint job will have too many glaring issues for me, especially in the Dreadhollow.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 am

I agree with Law, and IMO painting yourself is only cheaper if you value your time at zero. I have enough other commitments and interests that makes that math fail miserably.

Now, if you have plenty of time, want and are capable of making a better paint job, and enjoy the painting process enough to want to paint hundreds of nearly-identical pieces in assembly line fashion, that's great. But trying to justify it on cost is a frail argument. Again, just IMO.

If you make $25 an hour and the painted cost difference on a set is $100, you can work four additional hours...or you can paint for 20 hours. I know a lot of folks are salaried or this math otherwise doesn't apply, but you get the gist of the economics.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:43 am

I tend to buy painted when I can get it. Nothing like being table-ready. For DF KSers, I have twice tried to go unpainted with my pledge and then in the PM upgraded with no regrets. Just wish that I could buy more historical minis painted so that I could conquer Europe sooner with a Roman Legion or Napoleonic Army in style.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:25 am

For me - and I fully admit what follows is partly my own fault - I have found that unpainted anything in this hobby is not so radically cheaper as it appears at first.

Hobby brushes are expensive - $5-10 for even a basic brush, even more if you're talking about large ones. And I tend to go through them (that's the "my fault" part). Drybrushing kills brushes no matter what you do, but even regular painting - care and proper cleaning are essential. And all it takes is one ill-aimed dip and you get paint on the base of the bristles - and in my experience, game over. That brush is living on borrowed time, it's bristles will soon be splaying out and it'll be useless for any kind of precision, let alone fine details (this is where most of my drybrushes actually come from - no-longer-useful regular brushes).

Then there's the paint. I picked up just a small amount of paint from my FLGS the other day, to paint up some elves for the forest. Two shades of green, a silver, a flesh tone, a brown, and two inks (green and black). And a brush. $50. My god, I could've gotten a whole add-on for that!

And these paints - sure, they'll cover a lot if I have a lot to paint. But I picked up $10 in unpainted elves! Those five figures now cost me $60! The paint I'd go through to do all my DF... I don't wanna think about it.

And these hobby paints dry up - Citadel bottles aren't designed for long term storage. So whatever I don't paint in the next few months - yeah, these won't help me if I try to save them.

I've tried cheaper acrylics to save money, too. Never liked how they came out. Only proper hobby paint looks right to me- and hobby paint is pricey.

So - yeah. The unpainted version is cheaper. But there is a huge hidden cost.

Now. If you enjoy painting - and when I have time, I do! - that's fine. I didn't say it wasn't worth it or a mistake. Just that it wasn't cheaper. Or at least, not AS cheap as it seems. I haven't done the math - adding up the costs of Pokorny paints and calculating how much I need and then comparing painted and unpainted pledges. I just know unpainted comes with hidden costs and I don't have the time to do it (or the patience involved in getting all my stuff but having it be unfinished).

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 am

Different horses for courses, every DooFers has different criteria to what gives them value and affects the decision to go painted (should that decision even need to be made).

It is worth pointing out that we agree with Lady S OP but feel its worth pointing out that for all us non DCD and DOD the cost per piece to have painted goes up.

So we establish the value of prepainted against the cost of individual encounters and add-ons.

For us the value is immense for prepainted coupled with the time we save and the wow factor when unboxing painted terrain and using it immediately. We have an absolute mountain of un painted armies and terrain (started a thread on what was on DooFers todo list if anyone is truly interested)

It is clear that our paint standards are different to others and that is reflected in our painting. We dont have our DoD items yet, but we have not been put off by the pictures we have seen so far of what has been reported as dodgy paint jobs.

For us dungeons are dark, dank, dirty places that may, or may not, have seen recent activity so the terrain should try to reflect that. An erratic paint job can do just that (we will wait to see what ours looks like before apssing final judgement.)

In our own painting we dont always go for the final highlight if we think the minis should look grimy. Our Death Guard we forwent the final highlighting as it would in our opinion make the bling stand out, which is the exact opposite of what we think they should look like.

So one DooFers unfinished is another DooFers perfect :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:15 pm

BTW, not everybody has kids, and the neighbors get strangely testy when you chain their kids in the basement and force them to paint... 😁

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I enjoy painting. Most of what I've bought is unpainted. But I have to look at the overall complexity of the pieces, whether I like the default paint scheme, etc. I have decided to go painted for KS6, just like I did for KS3, as I believe the overall complexity of the tiles and paint jobs would make the factory paint job a relative bargain. KS1, KS2, KS4, and KS5 I consider relatively easily paintable, so I have gotten those unpainted.

I have yet to receive my entire KS5 order as of yet, but I plan to use a paint job that's actually somewhat simpler than the default colours. And I plan to make my own custom jade and also marble/granite in two basic schemes.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:47 pm

I have always gotten painted. I love to paint, but time is limited And I want to spend my painting time working on exciting characters, monsters, or accessories and special pieces. For the cost per piece, getting painted is a bargain.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”