Thoughts on painted vs unpainted

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Re: Thoughts on painted vs unpainted

Post by electricmotorcycles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm

for the "how much it costs to paint it yourself" or "how much is your time worth", etc... it depends on a lot of things [as pointed out in the thread] for me i live by myself and don't have a great need for a sparkly clean house so i have some extra free time, so a few times a month [usally weekends] i watch a show drink some beer and do a little painting at the end of the day i've had no issues keeping up with painting the sets and i've painted all 5 KSers thus far [ i currently have somewhere between 45-60 square feet of terrain ] as for cost, most of my paint and brushes where hand me downs. i've used the same brush for dry brushing for every piece and one tube of paint almost lasted 4 KSers. plus i like the painting and consider it part of the whole tabletop gaming experience. as a bonus all my pieces match each other, i can put any pieces from any KS together and they will be seamless

Cookiesandart
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Cookiesandart » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:08 pm

The adventure essentials packs...I’d rather have someone else paint for the extra 10-8 dollars so i can focus on monsters and creatures to populate. Unfortunately I got essentials 1-11 and as it worked out...it was cheaper to get lots of stuff unpainted and essentials painted but this terrain is so detailed compared to other ones I’ve made or painted that I decided the extra money after doing the math for painted, was way worth the time than what I’d have to put in to paint it myself.

I have augmented my ks2 pre-painted though. I think painting ks2 looks much easier and less time consuming than these pieces after seeing them in person at gen-con. I also think DoD arrived “expertly hand-painted”

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:35 pm

I doubt these discussions change many peoples minds.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:57 pm

by Rabbit Burner » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:36 pm

"I would be fascinating to know if anyone changes their mind reading this thread."

I have not. I repaint prepainted.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:36 pm

I would be fascinating to know if anyone changes their mind reading this thread.

Lets just say one DooFers reasoning is not wrong just because anothers is different.

We started painting our terrain crate an honestly found it a pain, mostly the detail on the furniture pieces. As all the time we are spending painting bookshelves our Death Guard and Necron armies are looking at us all disappointed in their shiny unopened cellophaned boxes.

So we will stick to getting as much of our Terrain prepainted as possible.

It is funny :lol: as when it comes to our army minis we are not sure we would buy prepainted if there was an easy option.
LadySabelle wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:47 pm
You could also hire Erin to paint them all for you over the next 3 years.

Let's be totally clear here, you will be very unlikely to get any of Erin's time to paint your Dwarvenite because she will be painting ours!*
We called first dibs so you can all get in line.

*hopefully, subject to negotiation
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Correct, the prepainted caverns were presented in the kickstarter with more of a brown scheme but came from the factory as you have in your picture with the dwarvenite with a layer of cream-colored drybrush on them (with some accents in brown/yellow). The Caverns Deep pieces should match the color scheme with your sample pack pieces if all goes as stated by DF.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Cavern-Yogi

Post by Cavern-Yogi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Will the Caverns Deep dwarvenite be a "Brown" base-color or the standard black? I bought the {3-Piece Cavern Sample Pack} and it is black dwarvenite with a light drybrush over the entire piece. The only parts with a brown color are the stalagmites and accent stones. The pieces are not "brownish" based like shown in every picture of the K2 kickstarter. I feel the pieces really need a brownish base coat (or brown cavern dwarvenite) to closer match the initial caverns feel. If the factory painted Caverns Deep pieces won't have a brown base, then I guess will need to buy all unpainted pieces... hmmm... Any guidance is welcome for this DF noob. :) The dungeon wall on the right is from the Classic Dungeon Remastered Core set that I painted (my first time ever painting) and finished a few days ago. It was fun! Cheers
Attachments
Caverns-Sample-Pack.jpg
Caverns-Sample-Pack.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

subtalon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by subtalon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:51 pm

I find the painting relaxing and a great way to get through audio books and podcasts. That said I usually end up with a blend my kids want to play with a bunch right away so getting a good cross section painted lets me do that. Then for misc add-ons I go unpainted because of cost and relaxation.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Painting does take discipline. You do have to set aside time. But it's not an insurmountable amount of time, and it helps if you have a plan. I had my whole KS4 order done in about 3 weeks, and that was $4.2K worth of stuff. 2 weeks for 90% of it, and the remaining 1 weeks for all those fiddly stretch goals. I did my whole Erinthor Mountains in about 1 day. Any by "day", I mean 2, maybe 3 hours. By "week", that probably represents 20 hours.

My biggest reason for buying unpainted, other than cost savings, is that sometimes I don't like the approved paint scheme. For KS1 and KS5, there were too many coloured stones per piece. I wanted something much more uniform, so it was best to do it myself. For KS2, I thought some of the detail colours were weird, so it was an easy enough decision to do it myself (although I did purchase some mushroom packs pre-painted from the DF store sometime afterward). KS3 looked great right out of the box, and I figured I wouldn't to as good or better job if I did it myself, so painted was a fairly easy decision. KS6 to me looks good with the chosen paint scheme, so I will take a chance and see how the factory does the job this time.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:37 am

I usually have my DF orders painted in a week or two.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”