What add-ons in the PM have you committed to?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What add-ons in the PM have you committed to?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:04 am

GODofwar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:20 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:19 am
dice4hire wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:09 am
two rowboat packs will make DF happy!!!! I am also mostly thinking of outdoor though I also would like to get all of the big pieces this time around.
We like the boat a lot and don't have any worth mentioning - well apart from a Sloop but that's a ship so does not count!

Love the flexibility of the boat, big boat, small boat, wrecked boat, rebuilt boat ....
BunRab, isn't that boat damned expensive? I looked at it after all the fuss and think there are better for much much less already available. Convince me here...

The Least Weasel, Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
Yep the boat is damned expensive, still hoping they throw in another mid section as the final $3.3 million stretch goal in the PM - then they would sell a boat load! :lol:

Reasons for us getting one (probably 2) is that we like it a lot :)
Its bigger than it looks and there is no other boat on the market that gives you the same flexibility. So we would rather give DF our 'boat' money and know we are getting a high quality, highly durable and uniquely flexible boat.

Each backer will make their own decision on their own criteria, those are ours :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:53 am

GODofwar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:40 am
Pledged enough in the KS for all the forest items we wanted - may reduce the number of trees by a pack or two.

Additional add-ons (funds dependant - remembering that our focus is for over ground use) considered are:

Since Weasels so deeply respect Lagomorphs, a few questions....

1 X Cave of Ruin - Adventure Pack (Encounter 5) - Hand Painted ($40)
---> Why is this one so good, Rabbit?
It has a massive CBS compatible double door, several doors - including a ruined set and a Yorghrim Warchief for a decent price

1 X Mushroom Grotto - Adventure Pack (Encounter 7) - Hand Painted ($55)
1 X Savage Gorge - Adventure Pack (Encounter 8) - Hand Painted ($60)
1 X Ice Catacomb - Adventure Pack (Encounter 12) - Hand Painted ($114)
2 X Camp Pack - Hand Painted ($42)
1 X Dungeon Ruins Pack - Hand Painted ($82)
1 X Stalagmite Pack - Hand Painted ($53)
1 X Mimic Pack - Hand Painted ($21)
1 X Vile Mushroom Pack - Hand Painted ($59)
---> Why thisone and the Mushroom Grotto?
Cos we like mushrooms - duh! also will go nicely in Dreadhollow :)
2 X Cave Cliff Pack - Hand Painted ($262)
2 X Natural Bridge - Hand Painted ($120)
2 X Stairway to Violence - Hand Painted ($152)
1 X Stalagmite Pack - Icicles - Hand Painted ($53)
1 X Driftstone Pack - Hand Painted ($62)
1 X Villian Pack - Hand Painted ($63)
1 X Dock Pack - Unpainted ($50)
2 X Rowboat Pack - Unpainted ($138)
1 X Stone Banks Packs - Hand Painted ($49)
1 X Suspension Bridge Pack - Unpainted ($44)

Even after all that we don't have a cavern in our pledge - so a small one maybe considered (again funds dependant.
Thanks for y'alls advice.

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:11 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm
--->Dice, whassa diff between the Core packs and the Adventure packs? Short version? Really playing catchup here...
Simple

There are encounters, like in KSV.
Each encounter is broken up into its component parts, usually Core, Adventure and Add-on packs.
The core packs are usually the basic building pieces.
The adventure packs are the "sexy" bits that make the encounter interesting.
Add-ons are as usual.

So you can get parts of the encounters unlike in KSV where it is the whole encounter or nothing.

It is a really good system IMHO.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:12 am
DroopyMcCool49 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:11 pm
The only thing holding me back from ordering from than two square feet of Dreadhollow is the hope that there will be more Dreadhollow items in KSVII.
DF have never offered anything from previous Kickstarters in their current KS or PM.

So while we expect further additions to Dreadhollow in KSVII we fully expect that they will be new sculpts.

So we are going to try to get .....er.....12 square feet of forest (3x4) ........blimey!

---> Isn't there a story about a greedy Lagomorph choking on too many carrots? Vaguely remember this as a Weasel child story...............

The Least Weasel, Chief Least Weasel (Pretendant) of Valoria
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, Except KS5
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 am
I would love to go to a con and play in each of our different worlds and DM styles. So much creativity here.
Years back there was forum discussion of actually doing that. ForgeCon is what it was going to be called if I remember correctly. Shadox was actually looking into renting space. The idea is we would all bring some sets and make massive layouts and smaller dungeons for games. This was pre dwarvenite so we figured folks would bring two or three sets each.

--->I've run two DwF sets at local cons, one VSF and one DwF. Both well received. Now that I could do a village with baswements, sewers, Burrows, caverns and dungeionsl...well.. I think we should pursue this idea! Playing with Feymous and other Trogs has widened my DM skills and I think meeting a few of you to do so would be great.

WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:33 pm
I come at dungeons very differently than Law.

Many of my dungeons are underground caverns that were dug out and converted into dungeons so often the over all shape will be similar to a cavern that has been squared off (or other shape).

In some of my dungeons a vein of harder rock causes the builders to have to build around or over it causing strange shaped rooms, passages or stairs up to small rooms and back down to other rooms.

While I do some times do the dungeon that fills every inch of a table or graph paper, my dugeons are often effected by the location and history of the area and do often have parts that are not from the origianl dungeon as it was build but have added rooms and features as the owners changed. I also do abandon dungeons that are over run with monsters using them as caves, since building dungeon out away from civilization is a risky buisness.

Any way you build them dungeons and caverns are fun.
---> Urra Prodiba for Kodiak!

the real fun of DwF KS's for me is that now I can build a village, or a city, and it will have as surprises:
--Basements
---Sewers under that (now maybe with a few Burrows of insects...)
---Dungeons under that, maybe with some sewer/burrow connections...
---and caverns under that, with rivers and lakes and Gawd knows what else.
All connected. All leading the PC into a story.

WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Law wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Wow. This is a theoretical treatise on Dungeons and DMing, which I feel the need to respond to.

For me, there are really two categories of DF settings - those which in large part serve as a backdrop for accessories (and figures) and those which are complete unto themselves.
--->Hmmm...why? I think every RPG setting should be 'complete unto itself ' - meaning it should have a theme, its parts tied together by the story, and every part (even empty ones) meant to DO something to the players. Either physically, or psychologically, or both.

Dungeons are a prime example of the former. Dungeons are, at their core, just a series of rooms. Until you place the bookshelves, tables, beds, torture equipment, tombs, traps, treasure, weapon racks, etc., they're just rooms. The DoD has given us the unprecedented ability to customize rooms by their architecture, but a real fully-built dungeon would have different rooms which serve different functions and which are "populated" accordingly.
--->See above. At a sufficiently high level of abstraction, all things are the same. A world is just a series of scenes (stuff you can see from one place) - that sort of thing. I don't see this as useful to a DM. Each dungeopn element (room, corridor, trap) should fit into the total purpose of that locale for the story. I always try to rememvder that RPG is about me and the players telling a story together. I don't have setups, I have 'sets' - for the play.

A cave - a cave just isn't like that. Sure, one part of a cave could have water and another not. And a cave might have mushrooms or not. And now we'll see other ways to customize. But while these options will be fun - ultimately you don't need different "rooms" in a cave.
---> Respectfully suggest that (see above) every element of a cave serves a function, just like every element of a dungeon. But the elemnts are different...they are natural not man-made, which affects what one should find there...more important, they affect the minds of the players differently than a dungeon.

Because a cave is just....a cave. KS6 will make populated caverns possible, and the bridge and the dock and the traps and so on will make it POSSIBLE to differentiate between rooms. But unlike with a dungeon, it still won't really be NECESSARY.
---> Why not?

So I'm fine with just one large cavern, maybe two linked by a small passage. Dungeon - one room? Hells no! I need to make as many as possible - because I want a mess hall and an armory and an archive and a torture chamber and a prison...
---> And a cavern has the cavern with the waterfall (behind which is the escape route the PC forget to look for ) and the long downsloping water-slippery spiral thich gets steeper and steeper and oops, the PC find they suddently can't climb back up and daren't go ahead on for fear of slipping to their doom...and caverns are more believably endowed with a natural ecology of critters who always live there.

I'll add - for the record:

Cities require accessories. Citizens milling about, differentiations between homes and inns and shops and an open market and guild halls and govt buildings and money lenders and brothels - lots of ways to distinguish buildings or neighborhoods with accessories.
---> The essential back ground of a cavern is that it is naturdal. Of a dungeon, that it is manmade but (usually) abandoned. Of a city, that its bustling with activity.

Castles don't NEED accessories. You can try to give a castle unique character, like you can a cavern, but ultimately a keep surrounded by high walls and a gatehouse is pretty self-sufficient. Like caverns, and unlike cities or dungeons, castles don't look strikingly empty if you skip the accessories.
---> I think they do.

Catacombs, Realm of the Ancients and the Den of Evil take it one step further. I actively dislike trying to create populated rooms in these spaces. Like caverns and castles, you could add elements to them. You could ofc always add defining features - a particularly ruined area, a fountain, a staircase - but none of that is NEEDED. But mostly, IMO, accessories look out of place on these settings. They're entirely self-sufficient and complete with the basic walls, floors and corners - trying to add beds or chairs or tables or bookshelves to any of them just looks odd.
---> Yabbut...adding other things besides beds etc does NOT. For example, in DoE adding torture racks and prison cells is very natural. In Catacombs, adding unusual sarcophagi that entice or repel or warn...in RoTA things the PC simply can't understand at all! These follow the theme but require development.

So that's my long winded explanation for why I treat caverns and dungeons differently.
---> Certainly agree on that!

With dungeons I really want lots of rooms - and I can build more rooms with the same number of walls and corners if I have them share. That also makes it all more compact and leaves no empty space on the table.
---> Negarive space is your friend. Use it.

With caverns, I don't need so many rooms - until now there hasn't really been a way to differentiate them anyway. And even when there is, unlike dungeons I don't really feel the need to use them all at once anyway. A big empty cavern, or one with some mushrooms, or one with a lake, is fine to me. Unlike a dungeon, where I want as many rooms as possible and a single chamber always feels like an excerpt from a dungeon and never like the whole thing.

---> So there.

WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:00 pm
Interesting .....

this thinking has made me realise why we don't want or need a cavern, we just have no a desire to have a cavern. Because we want total table coverage for a war game or skirmish game.
As an aside have managed to get the young bunnies to play some very simple DnD and its proven to be successful, so come the PM we might see if we can stretch to a starter cavern at least :)
---> Honest, Rabbit, get 'em into RPG. I'm a veteran wargamer, not RPG...but RPG did things for kid imaginations and horizons WG could not. NOw we play WG too. But I recommend it for Young Weasels. Mebbe young Rabbits lack the imagination capacity????? <ahem>

WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Law wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 am
I'm starting to realize that passages may be needed. I never used to use them - when building dungeons I prefer zero negative space and total table coverage. My recent pics show what I mean - a big rectangle of solid DF.

With resin caverns (never used KS2 for much), I accepted the more organic overall shape of a cavern setting, but I still exploited the double-sided nature of the S-shaped corner to share walls between "rooms" - .......... When I used river and lake pieces, I'd place some of the freestanding walls with the water to create "tunnels," and I'd use ledge pieces from the chasm set to do multi-tiered caverns, but otherwise I didn't separate "rooms" for the most part.

But now I'm seeing that with KS6, even if I only get a fraction of what's available, I'll be making larger caverns. And I'm realizing that sharing walls between cavern "rooms" doesn't work as well as it does with dungeon rooms. It makes more sense to have full caverns linked by passages than to have them all clumped together with shared walls. It's less efficient this way - it leaves open table space so you need more room, and you need four corners for every cavern (at least!) whereas by sharing rooms you can get more complete rooms with fewer corners. But it will look better. It will feel more like proper caves. .............but I'll also probably separate out some chambers with passages.

So - yeah. Sigh. Imma need passages.
--->Law, consider this: With lots of 'negative space' you have great opportunities to fiddle with your players. Players in caverns tend not to think of "secret doors" (ways into the Negative Space). I tend to Junkyard Dog foam to fill the neg cavern space for just this reason...it fools the tiny Player mind into ignoring the neg space. And then I make the Neg space into another cave...sometimes. Done on a partial reinforcement schedule, it can drive 'em nuts. Add having the 'secret entrances' in caves where a fight occurs, prefereably one which the PC are likely to retreat from if they are prudent, leaves them wondering if they missed something. And I make sure they would miss something (and find out about it later) enough to tempt them to go back into that dangerous cavern....just a thought.

WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:19 pm
I envy your passages. I am trying hard to get at least one of each in my pledge. Have you looked at the prison passages core? It has good passages in it and seems pretty cheap.
--->Dice, whassa diff between the Core packs and the Adventure packs? Short version? Really playing catchup here...

WeaselWarGod

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”