How many Forest banks are you getting?

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: How many Forest banks are you getting?

Post by zenako » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 am

dice4hire wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 pm
Good luck if you want it centered. Getting that many 1x2 or 1x1 cavern floors will not be easy.

I went for two sets of banks. They may well get augmented later.
One could always custom paint up some 1x4 or 1x2 dungeon tiles to make them more cavern/outdoor looking. Should not be too hard if you want. Also I could see dropping some of the scatter terrain on top of the dungeon tiles to mask them as another option Some debris or low shrubs surrounding the spire would be perfectly reasonable.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:53 am

I’m really torn on getting more forest banks. Since they only come with one corner piece, you’d need FOUR to make a pond. (Or, technically, to cap a river at both ends, though since that wouldn’t look natural it’s less of an issue...). $200 for a pond is too high. OTOH, it’s not really “$200 for a pond.” You’re getting all these great pieces and you can make an awesome river with them - and the more you have, the greater options you have. Plus I’m definitely getting at least two anyway. So it’s more “$100 for more options including a pond.” I don’t know. Because this is DF, I do have alternatives - I could close the pond off more abruptly with escarpments or something, just find some shortcut. Use stone banks. But on the other hand - the set itself isn’t overpriced imo. It’s not a bad idea to have those banks. Just not sure. Part of me wants to get them, just so when my backer rewards ship I can do what I’d like. Without having to wait or to cheat. Part of me thinks it’s overkill and I don’t want to be drowning in expensive stuff I don’t need. Hm.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 pm

Good luck if you want it centered. Getting that many 1x2 or 1x1 cavern floors will not be easy.

I went for two sets of banks. They may well get augmented later.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

ZayrZas
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ZayrZas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:28 pm
Perhaps the Stone Banks packs (in the water sets section) would serve you better here.
Oh I have the stone banks on my list but the forest banks look so nice!
zenako wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 pm
Just surround the base of the stairway with some "floor" tiles to make the 4x4 into a 6x6 footprint and then the banks would make a nice surround. Two sets to make it would be right since there are 2 outer curves in each pack.
Hm simple and an easy solution :shock: :D

Thanks for all the advice!

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

How are people actually going to use these banks?

I can picture using them with escarpments to form, say, one side of a river. But then I have no idea how to do the other side. I can lay down banks, but then what do I connect to those banks to? I don't want to buy 12+ sq ft of forest tiles for my table. I could double on the banks on the side of the river opposite the escarpments, to go from the river up a bank and then down a bank back to a mat. That seems weird? Just wondering what others are doing...

I suppose if the river idea doesn't work without a big investment, I'll get half the number of banks and just use them to transition from escarpments to a mat, or to make hills.

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:42 pm

We found that 2 Dreadhollow Encounters is an inefficient way of getting table coverage.
Unless you want 2 Spirit trees (and the fabulous SGs) and 2 cave entrances, we found it cheaper to get 1 encounter and then Light, heavy and escarpment packs and as many tree packs as you require.
Thanks much! I need all the help I can get being as efficient as possible.

In this case, I do like the second cave entrance with gnarled tree and long scatter piece. I can see all being used at the same time in a mountain, ravine or other builds. Two spirit trees at once are probably overkill. But since I'm thinking of unpainted, I could make the second swampy. And a second hollow stump scatter is always good.

I may revert back to your practical advise, which again is very appreciated. Just getting out my self-justifications above to see if they hold any merit ;)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:42 pm

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:50 pm
Right now this is my forest plans. Obv. likely to change a bunch over the next 30 days. But also need to focus on how much caverns is too much. (And how much painting is too much. Forest will be all unpainted for now! :o )

Dreadhollow Encounter x2
Forest Terrain Tray Pack x2
Escarpment Corners x2
Forest Scatter Terrain x1
Tree Variety Pack x1
Forest Transition Banks x8
We found that 2 Dreadhollow Encounters is an inefficient way of getting table coverage.
Unless you want 2 Spirit trees (and the fabulous SGs) and 2 cave entrances, we found it cheaper to get 1 encounter and then Light, heavy and escarpment packs and as many tree packs as you require.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Right now this is my forest plans. Obv. likely to change a bunch over the next 30 days. But also need to focus on how much caverns is too much. (And how much painting is too much. Forest will be all unpainted for now! :o )

Dreadhollow Encounter x2
Forest Terrain Tray Pack x2
Escarpment Corners x2
Forest Scatter Terrain x1
Tree Variety Pack x1
Forest Transition Banks x8

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:32 pm

It occurs to me that when my players aren’t in dungeons or caverns they are journeying “through the woods.” So I’m planning on investing heavily in forest pieces...

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Was hoping to stop at 4 packs... will likely do 6 based on Rabbit Burner’s furry math...likely will wind up failing my will save and buy 8. 🤕

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”