forest terrain tray - grid?

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Re: forest terrain tray - grid?

Post by MrMorden » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:21 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 pm
If you need a well defined grid though, we do have the 12x12 acetate sheet overlays as an option. Those should work equally well with Forests as they do with existing Lava and Water Trays.
I just got two of these with a DF order that arrived yesterday. They are very nice and work well.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 am

Did anyone get an overlay pack? How well do they work?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 am

Thanks again,
I thought about getting a couple of terrain trays with some scatter forests to create a "cheap" woodlands. The grid overlay seems a bit fiddly, not sure how well it sticks to the terrain tray...
The organic grid does sound like the best option.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:21 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 pm
It would be nice if DF offered those sheets in a format that just used a + at each 1" intersection instead of lines. I like my coverage to have a grid, but not one that is distracting.

Something like this:

blood-bowl-playmat-grass-field-4[1].jpg

Instead of this:

79e1a3b39b7d0b3ddbf3dfc3e822d31d_original[1].jpg

DF currently has the second option version, but in black. I'd like option 1 in black.
See, and to some eyes either of those look like a football field. Great for BloodBowl! :lol:
Very, very distracting if you're building dioramas though.

The thinking I've always heard is that grid overlays allow the design to work for either kind of gamer, but if you silkscreen a grid (or +'s) all over it then you've locked everybody in to one option. If there can be an organic grid like on the Forests tiles and Burrows, where it's so subtle some people have trouble seeing it even when they know it's there, I think that's something they'd explore.

@Koraldon I don't expect that the Forest/Clearing artwork will be finalized before the end of the pledge manager, unfortunately. That's something which Backers are going to have to take on faith that DF will make them awesome. The other tiles are probably fairly representative of the final designs at this point, but there may still be some tweaking.

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 am

Thanks for the response, do you know if the artwork will be finalized before the pledge manager ends?
At least on the subject of the grid.
For the lava / water trays for me this was a non issue, since I thought of them as a supplement to dwarvenite - which provide the grid.
But here I'm thinking of using them as standalone items.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 pm

It would be nice if DF offered those sheets in a format that just used a + at each 1" intersection instead of lines. I like my coverage to have a grid, but not one that is distracting.

Something like this:

blood-bowl-playmat-grass-field-4[1].jpg
blood-bowl-playmat-grass-field-4[1].jpg (138.65 KiB) Viewed 876 times

Instead of this:

79e1a3b39b7d0b3ddbf3dfc3e822d31d_original[1].jpg
79e1a3b39b7d0b3ddbf3dfc3e822d31d_original[1].jpg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 876 times

DF currently has the second option version, but in black. I'd like option 1 in black.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Impossible to say yet, since the forest Terrain Tray artworks (both sides) are still a work in progress.

If you need a well defined grid though, we do have the 12x12 acetate sheet overlays as an option. Those should work equally well with Forests as they do with existing Lava and Water Trays.

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

forest terrain tray - grid?

Post by koraldon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm

I know that for DoD terrain trays there is no built-in grid, but since it seems that the forest terrain trays will have a similar art to the forest pack, I wondered if anyone knows if it will also include an "organic" grid?
This will greatly enhance the play value of those and definitely push me to have my own "simple" forest consisting of some trays and scatter trees.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”