Budgeting for versatility - asking for advice

John D
Orc
Orc

Re: Budgeting for versatility - asking for advice

Post by John D » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:51 pm

extra floor pack +1 - I think it's only a half a sq foot, so I'll probably need another down the line.

Yes, Hag's Core + Trifecta + etc is a good way to go. Considered it, but I didn't wind up doing that.
I was looking for a broad spread of pieces, but I did want to "beef up" some elements (extra cliffs, extra lg. swells, etc), so I based around the Universal packs + add-ons. To be sure, a Hag's Core or Savage Core (that one might actually be better for me - more cliffs), would probably complete the Underdark I'm envisioning, but we'll see. Maybe I'll just keep throwing Uni's and Passage packs at it (from retail), till it starts spilling off the table...

It's interesting that configuring Dreadhollow building elements requires a completely different approach from Caverns. I worked up a couple different 'a la carte' Forests, but in the end settled on the Encounter 15 (unpainted - yeah, that'll be fun).

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm

I know I grabbed an extra Floor Pack for just that reason, to make sure I can make a larger floor footprint if needed. A larger encounter area gives more options for the players and the DM than a narrow passage does.

RisingSeraph
Goblin
Goblin

Post by RisingSeraph » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:22 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 pm
I'm a big fan of Hag's Den so that is a good starting point.

What is your base pledge? Don't waste the $10, get a starter for $74 and get a bunch of walls and corners to add variety to your KS2 (i am assuming you have a decent amount) - well worth the $64 over BYO

Adv 12 and Adv 9 both get you top of stairway to violence - i like 9 better because i will use the heck out of the trap door floor (nevermind you are getting it in Covert Warcamp) - i think both these packs are cool ways to get a unique combo of pieces

This looks like a great pledge with a reasonable budget - there is a lot of fun to be had here!
Thanks Kitenerd!

I went with the $10 because I wasn't interested in any specific pledges, that being said I may switch to the unpainted cavern started / $48 (I want to do unpainted - I don't mind painting and want to get more pieces - just about finished painting my KS5!) . My budget is about $700. My gaming table is also a dining room table so I don't need to get too crazy just yet.

At the moment when it comes to caverns / KS2 I just have a cavern floors set and a lake tile set. I plan on getting more in the future, but I really like the unique sculpts in KS6 and the Trifecta and elevation pieces

With that being said and your response, I think this will be a good place to start for me and caverns. The Hag's Den Core with added trifecta and elevation pieces gives me some good options. My one issue may be footprint size - not a lot of floor - thinking I may want to throw in an essentials 10-11, or just get some bling now since it may be harder to get later, then get more of the bread and butter stuff at release.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm a big fan of Hag's Den so that is a good starting point.

What is your base pledge? Don't waste the $10, get a starter for $74 and get a bunch of walls and corners to add variety to your KS2 (i am assuming you have a decent amount) - well worth the $64 over BYO

Adv 12 and Adv 9 both get you top of stairway to violence - i like 9 better because i will use the heck out of the trap door floor (nevermind you are getting it in Covert Warcamp) - i think both these packs are cool ways to get a unique combo of pieces

This looks like a great pledge with a reasonable budget - there is a lot of fun to be had here!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

RisingSeraph
Goblin
Goblin

Post by RisingSeraph » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

With all of the feedback and adding some flavor items, here is what my pledge is looking like:

1x Hag's Den Core (lots of multi-use floors, walls and passages)
1x Trifecta Terrain Pack (lots of multi-use floor / walls)
2x Cave Cliff Pack (elevation)
1x Stilt pack (for elevation with terrain trays I already have from KS5)
1x Ice Catacomb Adventure Pack (Elevation / bling)
1x Drifstone Pack (floating elevation)
1x Underdoom Adventure Pack (Bling floor / wall)
1x Covert Warcamp Adventure pack (just for some small doors)
1x Villain Pack (Bling)
2x Crystal Cavern / Festering floor terrain tray (Love the festering floor / gibbering mouthers)
1x Transition to KS2 water

I recently just bought the KS2 Lake Cavern set, which gives me a lot more "floor" coverage. I also have water terrain trays from KS5 so figured the transition piece would go well with this and give me more floor coverage. I also have 3 acid / stone and 2 fire / stone terrain trays from KS5.

If I'm concerned about having a good, versatile set of caverns, does this seem good? If I'm wanting a decent mixture of floor / walls / elevation / some bling, does this look like it will gel well together?

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:32 pm

I am right there with you. I keep trying to make compositions subbing in various Core packs, thinking I can find a better deal, but every time, Essentials 1 - 6 plus numerous add on packs just comes out more complete, and cheaper per piece to boot.
realarete wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:11 pm
Thats a very nice pack, and cheap relatively! Would let me drop the passage pack, but it doesn't have enough walls to let me drop the starter cavern, or enough floors to drop the floor pack. Thats the issue I'm having with the Core packs. Great packs, but parts will be redundant if I get specific parts packs. If I don't get specific parts packs I'll miss certain pieces. Trapped going in circles in the dwarves mine ...

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Thats a very nice pack, and cheap relatively! Would let me drop the passage pack, but it doesn't have enough walls to let me drop the starter cavern, or enough floors to drop the floor pack. Thats the issue I'm having with the Core packs. Great packs, but parts will be redundant if I get specific parts packs. If I don't get specific parts packs I'll miss certain pieces. Trapped going in circles in the dwarves mine ...

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm

realarete wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:25 am
I gave a hard look at Core set 11 ( 6x6 floor, lots of passages, both the big corners, nice array of walls floors and building parts) but in the end I went with the specific packs: Floor pack, Trifecta pack, Crooked and starter set ... was cheaper and I will get ALL of the relevant pcs rather than just a sampling, which in my mind is better versatility.
You need to take a hard look at Core Pack 2 for some great big pieces. Straight Passage, 45 Passage and Widening Passage.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:25 am

I gave a hard look at Core set 11 ( 6x6 floor, lots of passages, both the big corners, nice array of walls floors and building parts) but in the end I went with the specific packs: Floor pack, Trifecta pack, Crooked and starter set ... was cheaper and I will get ALL of the relevant pcs rather than just a sampling, which in my mind is better versatility. But for me I don't want duplicates of things, as I don't build large - so The "half" set of trifecta coming from Core 11 wasn't needed, if I was getting the trifecta pack also .... same thing for the universal sets - you are getting a sampling of things, but not complete groups.
For instance in UNI set 10-11 you get some passage 45, a ton of floors, corner entrance and some misc stuff ( all nice) however you are missing out on the other passage pieces, the large floor, etc, and to now fill those slots from other packs you have a good chance of getting duplicate parts. Not a bad thing, but if budgeting for versatility then it seems like a step in the wrong direction.

If getting a full set of things like say " each passage piece" isn't a huge concern, then just ignore this :lol: My pledge is built on that idea, get the big pcs, and a couple of each small bread & butter building parts and add a good bit of versatility to building with my resin caves.

I say "big pieces" because after getting some limited DoD stuff, I can instantly say my favorite parts are in fact the big building pieces - Epic Stairs, Large curved corners, The Double Door .... they are unreal. The small things - diagonal corners, 2x2 floors, they are necessary, and thats why I have them.

Cutting myself off while I'm behind and rambling ;)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:02 am

One thing I’d also consider doing is looking at the photos in the PM of the core sets. I wish we’d gotten shots like this sooner, because they’re super helpful. They establish what you can build very clearly so you can see what kind of a cavern each set makes. Takes a LOT of guesswork out of the equation - shows, for example, that Mushroom Grotto can be a fairly large half a cavern, while Smuggler’s Cove would really need some bread and butter pieces if you want it to work independently of other sets.

Since the core sets are a slightly more economic way to get a wide variety of pieces, scan those pics over to see if any tempt you.