Re: Kickstarter 7 teaser?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:02 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:41 am
Oldent wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 pm
kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:05 pm
If DF does medieval mines I am all in, if they do them old west or more modern like other terrain companies, NO THANKS.
I recall you mentioning medieval mines before. What do they look like?
Very similar to Ancient Roman mines.

Unlike the more modern mines you see in old west movies they would not have expensive metal rails or rail carts, grooves in the stone or dirt would have been more likely with log rails with groves also possible. Wooden rail carts would likely have the same wheel axle distance of other Roman vehicles since the Roman empire loved consistency. Water was used in a lot of ancient mines so wooden ducts could take it in and screw pumps and water wheels could get it back up for wooden water ducts to take it back out. I list all this water hardware to make flooded mines and attacks from above water ducts a possibility in a DF mine.
Wooden railways ........time to do some research......

Which lead to some interesting facts about Waggonways and Dandy carriages.
Wooden railways and equivalent were introduced in the 16th century and in some cases consisted of two lines of planks separted by a small gap/gully with the carriage have a ventral wooden rod that would be long enough to ride in the gap between the planks, Scalextric style :)

BTW the Romans used pulleys and slaves.

DF doing mines and all the associated paraphernalia would be cool and have no objection to them in a wooden fashion, this would probably be more work.

We like the idea of have separate tracks that could be laid out on existing cavern sculpt, again that feels like a lot of work to make them fit 'snuggly'.

DF could certainly create other mining elements such as pulley cranes, water extraction wheels and screws and of course carts and miners.

Certainly a lot of scope here, other ideas we had was to create vertical rock walls that could then have magnetised scaffolding and pulley carts added to give that 'mining a gold seam on a cliff face' look.

Overlays could be used to create different types of seam such as Gold, Copper, Diamond, Quartz etc.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Wow, AS, that's perfect!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:15 pm

TBH I'm pretty sure we won't get any beans now until at minimum after PAX East.

100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Man, nothing yet? The design team must be a bunch of has-beans.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:13 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Oldent wrote:
kodiakbear wrote:
If DF does medieval mines I am all in, if they do them old west or more modern like other terrain companies, NO THANKS.

Unlike the more modern mines you see in old west movies they would not have expensive metal rails or rail carts, grooves in the stone or dirt would have been more likely with log rails with groves also possible. Wooden rail carts would likely have the same wheel axle distance of other Roman vehicles since the Roman empire loved consistency. Water was used in a lot of ancient mines so wooden ducts could take it in and screw pumps and water wheels could get it back up for wooden water ducts to take it back out. I list all this water hardware to make flooded mines and attacks from above water ducts a possibility in a DF mine.
I am set as far as mines go. I would like to see something different. I am more likely to play cowboys than Gangs of Rome
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 am

John D wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:49 am
Oldent wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:09 pm
The components are The glass shards from Michael's. They come in colors.I used glitter glue.
Oh, I was wrong - my guess was Secret Weapon's Crushed Glass glued into clumps.
The Secret Weapon's Crushed Glass makes good snow.I wanted something in between the small crystals and sand. The craft product is made from safety glass and is very random sized.

I was trying to avoid the uniform size of some of the craft products. Note the model on the left.

I used a clay cutter to make the bases for this batch. I have switched over to mosaic glass bases.The LED effects work better.

I hope to combine elevation with LED effects.

I was experimenting with an LED coaster in the negative space.

A few of the large crystals go a long way.

I am going to make some much smaller.
Last edited by Oldent on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:49 am

Oldent wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:09 pm
The components are The glass shards from Michael's. They come in colors.I used glitter glue.
Oh, I was wrong - my guess was Secret Weapon's Crushed Glass glued into clumps.

kodiakbear wrote:
Very Informative, Kodiakbear. :)

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:45 am

Seraphis the Bland wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:33 pm
kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:59 am
I had forgotten about it's appearance in the video.

Here is another pic of it.
pillar.jpg
pillar.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Wow, KBear, those are beautiful pics. I never saw them. Now I wish I had them! I stand corrected, sir.
It was this pic that really made me excited for KS5, so I was really sad they never got produced in KS5 or KS6.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:41 am

Oldent wrote:
kodiakbear wrote:

Last edited by kodiakbear on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:33 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:59 am
I had forgotten about it's appearance in the video.

Here is another pic of it.

pillar.jpg
Wow, KBear, those are beautiful pics. I never saw them. Now I wish I had them! I stand corrected, sir.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”