Kickstarter 7 teaser?

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Re: Kickstarter 7 teaser?

Post by scott102303 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:52 pm

I'd like some earthen walls and floors with rounded walls and dirt floors that is similar to the Burrows but more for humanoids. A cool swampy entrance like the Cave Mouth Escarpment from DF would be awesome that could lead to the earthen area. Some rickety wooden beams holding up the walls would add a nice touch to the sculpts.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:11 pm

@hunter - Yes, swamps seems like such an easy extension of DreadHollow forest. I hope they go for it!

Here's what I would put in the Swamps "encounter" / add-ons:
  • New terrain tray to expand existing options
  • 2-3 muddy earth sculpts
  • New banks style to integrate with above
  • Scatter terrain (roots, logs, boulders, etc.)
  • New tree trunk toppers for swamps
  • New tree uppers (more scraggly, less beautiful)
  • Platform stilts for CBS buildings to stand on
  • Wooden style CBS walls for swamps huts (plus other uses ;) )
  • New CBS roof for huts
  • "Bling" - minis, accessories, LED parts, etc.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:58 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:34 pm
kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm
KS6's basic caverns lent themselves well to teasers, KS7's terrain just may not with out revealing thing that have not been decided 100%.
Speaking of which...what's the dang theme this year!?!? That's what I'm dying to know. Or more accurately, what are the themes (forest, swamps, CBS2) we should expect to see? (since I doubt DF can stick to just one ;) )
Swamps would be awesome. Could just be some terrain trays, a ledges style ground pack, maybe some boulders / protruding roots and some swampy trees...

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:09 pm

The longer they delay the kickstarter, the more time they have to create things. Which means it won't help your wallet in the end. :P
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:34 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm
KS6's basic caverns lent themselves well to teasers, KS7's terrain just may not with out revealing thing that have not been decided 100%.
Speaking of which...what's the dang theme this year!?!? That's what I'm dying to know. Or more accurately, what are the themes (forest, swamps, CBS2) we should expect to see? (since I doubt DF can stick to just one ;) )

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 am
Quite happy for no beans :)

We never got onto the bean train for DF, they don't need to do it, we know that whatever they produce will be amazing.

Very happy to wait until the KS launches and be absolutely blown away.

As for moving production to the US, we suspect it also depends on current agreement with the Chinese factories and getting their current set of expensive steel molds shipped across to an equivalent US facility.
I enjoy the beans and they're probably good from a marketing perspective, but I'm with you on not needing them. I seem to recall in either KS2 or KS3 there was a last minute addition (Add-on pack) that they didn't even have artwork for and I (and many others) jumped in to get it just based on the description alone. DF has proven themselves to us over and over again and that goes a long way!

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:56 am

zenako wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 am
The costs of making stuff in China are getting closer to domestic costs as each year passes. That is partly why Reaper made a point of starting to move it production back. Once you factor in the cost of shipping and the process control issues, the margins get smaller. Now a huge difference is that Reaper is just selling the plastic Bones, no extra labor from a painting option. DF painted items are a huge part of their appeal, being able to get stuff that is table ready right from the box is a major plus. I know some smaller KS have been able to offer affordable levels of cost increase for their terrain to be painted. A mass painting operation can output a lot of product in a single shift, with the right tools, paints and approach, and a certain level of not caring about every little spec of paint. The day when moving production closer to home is likely coming sooner than some might expect.
As costs in China increase, I could see DF looking at a move to Vietnam (or similar; at least for the painting process) as costs are lower there and I've seen some fantastic paint "factories" churning out high-quality work at an amazing pace.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 am

The costs of making stuff in China are getting closer to domestic costs as each year passes. That is partly why Reaper made a point of starting to move it production back. Once you factor in the cost of shipping and the process control issues, the margins get smaller. Now a huge difference is that Reaper is just selling the plastic Bones, no extra labor from a painting option. DF painted items are a huge part of their appeal, being able to get stuff that is table ready right from the box is a major plus. I know some smaller KS have been able to offer affordable levels of cost increase for their terrain to be painted. A mass painting operation can output a lot of product in a single shift, with the right tools, paints and approach, and a certain level of not caring about every little spec of paint. The day when moving production closer to home is likely coming sooner than some might expect.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:51 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Quite happy for no beans :)

We never got onto the bean train for DF, they don't need to do it, we know that whatever they produce will be amazing.

Very happy to wait until the KS launches and be absolutely blown away.
I suspect you think the same as Nate. It is a viable strategy I guess, but not my preferred one.
We understand that we are part of the Bean Minority
we are zen with this :)
dice4hire wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:51 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:

As for moving production to the US, we suspect it also depends on current agreement with the Chinese factories and getting their current set of expensive steel molds shipped across to an equivalent US facility.
So many companies outsource to China that the cost savings must be very significant.
As far back as the 70's companies have been outsourcing production to China, it has only increased this millennium :)

Back in the 90's a lot of British engineering firms were outsourcing to eastern Europe but as costs rose and quality declined they brought it back in house or moved out to China.

The biggest concern for manufacturing in China is their complete lack of patent laws, or at least a failure to recognise international patent laws, such that as soon as a product is in China it is free to be reverse engineered, re produced and sold at cheaper prices and more often then not 'cheaper' QA.

I am sure there are DooFers that more about this than we do, we are not that big into international manufacturing patent litigation here in the warren, this is just what we hear in the carrot fields.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”