Kickstarter 6.66

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Kickstarter 6.66

Post by Oldent » Wed May 22, 2019 9:22 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am
If there is a lightbox the thickness needs to be chosen carefully.
I think light box vs light panel is the answer. I have a light box for slides. Very old I know. Bio wizard has a cool plan for a light table.

The light panel concept already has been proven.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 am

Another thing yet to be mentioned is dimensions of the light box and if you have a build that doesn't cover it entirely.

I think it would be cool if DF could create 4x4 light boxes that magnetically snap together and when joined together share power. IE: have a master "power" box and any 4x4 attached to it is powered by it. Like a grid of 4x4 squares you can build on. This way you could make a small lighted area or a big one, and it could break down for storage.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Post by DWChancellor » Wed May 22, 2019 9:03 am

I'd prefer a lighting solution that's powerful enough to be useful outside of DF. I've been wanting a light table for drawing for ages but have been too cheap to get a real one that only puts out white. I know, I know... silly ask.

On the other hand, price. I think DF has firmly established there are many fans for whom price is no object so they can really reach and make neat stuff. I, on the other hand, am running out of storage room which is still more expensive than DF =)
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 am

I am enthusiastic about LEDs. I hope for a small 4" by 4" LED panel that would fit under each lava river tile.IF they were package three magma river tiles and three LED panel per package that would be a foot. That configuration would be as cool as the new castle configuration from the very beginning.

This effect was created with a LED coaster. Cheap and fun too :!:

This was done with cheap balloon light LEDs .Very very cheap :!: :!: :!:

This light panel is already in production.

This is the LED coaster under a tile. My phone will not do this effect justice.

The phone again.

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Tunnel- ... rch&sr=8-4 This crazy thing is cheap cost I hope DF will come up with something really cool too
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

If there is a lightbox the thickness needs to be chosen carefully.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed May 22, 2019 3:51 am

Wow underlight light panels who saw that coming a week ago? kudos to DF to keep pushing the envelope.

Couple of issues highlighted already.

One was storage, for use that seems straight forward assuming the light panel dimensions are the same as terrain trays, store them with terrain trays :) somewhat assumes you have terrain trays.

Another was height, now this could be tricky, we assume the height of a Light panel is greater than a terrain tray (this feels a pretty safe assumption). DF have already done something in DoD that could be adapted and that was with floor traps. They came in two pieces, a base piece (with spikes/snakes etc) and then the floor piece that sat on top of the base the two combined were of standard height.

DF could do this with Light Panels and effectively provide two bases for Lava sculpts, one specifically designed for the sculpt (like the DoD traps) and the other being the Light tray which would be the equivalent of an extra thick terrain tray.

Of course level start to get a little tricky if you want to use an underlit terrain tray especially if your using non Hellscape sculpts bordering it.

Another is scale, sigh, cant seem to ever escape this one with DF's decision to have one scale below ground and a slight change for overground. Hellscape looks like it will be the underground scale (some official confirmation would be cool) so should be compatible with KS2.

Be interested with their power solution and led placement. Batteries seem obvious but how insert them in a see through panel, panel corners would have the least impact on lighting. Also the power drain will be greater than previous LED offerings so life span will be reduced unless more batteries are used.

They could have a separate powerpack, advantages here would be no impact on light and could be rechargeable, but you then have wires and the powerpack to deal with and hide. Another option is mains powered, obvious advantages, but significant disadvantages with wiring and portability

Total confidence that in the KS will we get all our natural light pictures and information on scales, power etc.

One thing that Nina touched on was cost, 'this ain't gonna be cheap', but rabbit it will look so freaking cool.

#excitingtimes #indfwetrust #dooooom #momoforpresident #ourheadshurt
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 am

Not to mention how it lines up with a light box next to KS2 pieces. If the light box is for instance 1/2" thick, then the floors of KS2 will line up with the bottom of the KS6.66 pieces, so we'll need some adapters/banks/etc.
Great minds...

The first thing i thought of when they "offically" said it was light panels was "Where does that thickness come from?"

Either my rear illuminated tiles will be higher than everything else, or my 6.66 pieces used without lighting will be a step down from everything else... neither is particularly good... but i am quite sure DF has thought about this and they are at least a step and a half ahead of me if not two

I must admit i want a light box - Biowizard (i believe) made a cool one years ago with color addressable LED strips - i always intended to copy that (mainly for translucent ice caverns) - i look forward to seeing what DF has come up with

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6033#p77666

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6033&start=30#p144560
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Wed May 22, 2019 2:03 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 am
Talistran wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 pm
John Warlock of Sysuul wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:44 am
Most important thing to me is if my KS2 Lava Cavern Packs will look good with Hellscape. A side by side picture and video like they did with Ice Catacombs will help me make a better informed decision. I do like what I have seen, the new lava flow looks great. But I don’t need two types of lava caverns that aren’t compatible.
Also important to me is that the KS2 works well with KS 6.66
Not to mention how it lines up with a light box next to KS2 pieces. If the light box is for instance 1/2" thick, then the floors of KS2 will line up with the bottom of the KS6.66 pieces, so we'll need some adapters/banks/etc.
Height, width (KS1/KS2 or KS3/KS4... and I can't remember what was the size decision for the forest for KS6, is it different than KS6 caverns which kind of have to match with KS2... frack, why couldn't DF just choose one and stick with it instead of straddling a line forever), paint job, sculpt, etc all needs to "work" together IMO for me to invest.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 22, 2019 12:49 am

Talistran wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 pm
Most important thing to me is if my KS2 Lava Cavern Packs will look good with Hellscape. A side by side picture and video like they did with Ice Catacombs will help me make a better informed decision. I do like what I have seen, the new lava flow looks great. But I don’t need two types of lava caverns that aren’t compatible.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”