Kickstarter 6.66

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Kickstarter 6.66

Post by GardenDM » Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 pm

To be clearer in meaning: I meant that I believe what they are showing and what they are offering will not likely be the same. I do believe they used underlighting for the demo game along with a modified terrain tray or plastic printed facsimile.

It seems likely to me that the pieces offered in the KS will use integrated LEDs (3-4 in the base of each piece for more even lighting), but I'm fully prepared to be wrong on this point. :D

jazzman
Orc
Orc

Post by jazzman » Mon May 20, 2019 9:22 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 pm
Or just get some terrain tray sized sheets that are really just plexiglass/acrylic but with the lava tray graphic printed on it so you can illuminate it from behind. Combine that with using the base yellow color from the A&S KS and that might not be too hard. Not sure how useful for gaming it would be, be clearly it is impressive for a showpiece setup.
They were doing overlays for the water and stuff maybe it is just a translucent lava overlay....

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Or just get some terrain tray sized sheets that are really just plexiglass/acrylic but with the lava tray graphic printed on it so you can illuminate it from behind. Combine that with using the base yellow color from the A&S KS and that might not be too hard. Not sure how useful for gaming it would be, be clearly it is impressive for a showpiece setup.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon May 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Personally I think they cut open the lava terrain trays and placed them on plexiglass for the left and center parts of the build but not for the parts past the bridge (since they do not glow). This would be a easy mod for any of us but they could also be thinking about allowing this as a option in this KS. With their showing of Axe N Shield products they may have wanted to showcase elevation ideas and options to kick a display build to the next level. Even with out the Axe N Shield product this would be a elevation build but the synergy just makes sense.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm

For the bunnies and those who eat too many carrots, how do you explain the glowing lava tray then? It doesn't seem like UV lighting to me; it seems like a light underneath it. And if it were a normal terrain tray, it would have metal inside and wouldn't light up. Something is amiss.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 am
Looks backlit to us, light along the Lava river is too consistent to be a few leds. Tha backlit (or underlighting) also exaggerates the gaps between tiles. Pretty sure you underlight almost any DF build you will start to see gaps.

Also this is just a display build, whose aim is to look as spectacular as possible and it is not a dedicated sales pitch.

DooFers have a habit of applying constraints to free form builds, this happened with the Boat pictured at PAX where DF got flak for adding items to the boat that did not come with the boat Add-on.

That picture and this setup are not Retail or Kickstarter definitive builds, they are creative builds that show off what can be done with old and new sculpts as the builder sees fit.

Now we got that off our collective chests onto the wild speculation.

We would be staggered if DF offered an uderlighting tray of some form that the lava sculpts would sit on. Fully expect each lava sculpt to have multiple flickering leds. Thats not to say that if, DF could offer an alternative method of lighting up the lava, they shouldn't an underlight tray would be fascinating - just don't see it.

So far we are not seeing much we can use, but time and actual sculpts will tell.

Comparing KS2 lava cavern sculpts with Hellscape could be interesting but think that a Hellscape to KS2 Lava river would not a be a good look.

That Hellscape gate looks awesome, will again be fascinating if DF resculpt it for Hellscape.
Oof, twice in one day that I'm in complete agreement with the bunnies. Maybe I've been eating too many carrots.

Odds are that the actual pieces will have several LEDs in each one (under the translucent lava) and this setup was straight up showmanship. While DF continues to push the envelope with innovation each time, a full underlighting system feels unlikely.

We shall see. :)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 am

Looks backlit to us, light along the Lava river is too consistent to be a few leds. Tha backlit (or underlighting) also exaggerates the gaps between tiles. Pretty sure you underlight almost any DF build you will start to see gaps.

Also this is just a display build, whose aim is to look as spectacular as possible and it is not a dedicated sales pitch.

DooFers have a habit of applying constraints to free form builds, this happened with the Boat pictured at PAX where DF got flak for adding items to the boat that did not come with the boat Add-on.

That picture and this setup are not Retail or Kickstarter definitive builds, they are creative builds that show off what can be done with old and new sculpts as the builder sees fit.

Now we got that off our collective chests onto the wild speculation.

We would be staggered if DF offered an uderlighting tray of some form that the lava sculpts would sit on. Fully expect each lava sculpt to have multiple flickering leds. Thats not to say that if, DF could offer an alternative method of lighting up the lava, they shouldn't an underlight tray would be fascinating - just don't see it.

So far we are not seeing much we can use, but time and actual sculpts will tell.

Comparing KS2 lava cavern sculpts with Hellscape could be interesting but think that a Hellscape to KS2 Lava river would not a be a good look.

That Hellscape gate looks awesome, will again be fascinating if DF resculpt it for Hellscape.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Well, some people are already setting wallets and credit cards on fire so why not?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Sat May 18, 2019 8:45 pm

I heard they're releasing Dwarvenite-S, which is basically an orange slime that you pour into your lava river chasm and hit with a creme brulee torch to set :)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm

[quote=GardenDM post_id=157285 tim

So yer sayin that we're getting mechatronic, animated terrain! The castle gate was a nice start, but I for one will be pleased when all of the doors, pit traps, and rolling boulders can be easily controlled with a simple 206 key remote.

;)
[/quote]
:lol: you need to warm up your soder iron ;)

We probable need to think about how we are going to use the magma river. If it was water I could see six feet. May be a magma barrier a round the castle?
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”