Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Kickstarter 6.66

Post by GardenDM » Sat May 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:06 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 pm
I barely like LEDS so i would not like a backlit system.
Has any one said they are selling a back lit system? We have seen a display at a convention.

I do not understand what it is, so now we must speculate on baseless assumptions, draw conclusions and make and give an option :?

Clearly created by aliens :lol:

My concern is that people need to see the offering in natural light so that there will be fewer misunderstandings, misconceptions and disappointments.

Dice for hire, I did not intend to pick on you but you were last ;)
So yer sayin that we're getting mechatronic, animated terrain! The castle gate was a nice start, but I for one will be pleased when all of the doors, pit traps, and rolling boulders can be easily controlled with a simple 206 key remote.

;)

Szath01
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Szath01 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:36 pm

Baseless speculation is part of the fun. I have liked almost everything DF has done in their dwarvenite line and spent lots of money so far. I have no reason to believe this will be any different.

Agreed on normal lighting pics/videos though.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sat May 18, 2019 6:06 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 pm
Has any one said they are selling a back lit system? We have seen a display at a convention.

I do not understand what it is, so now we must speculate on baseless assumptions, draw conclusions and make and give an option :?

Clearly created by aliens :lol:

My concern is that people need to see the offering in natural light so that there will be fewer misunderstandings, misconceptions and disappointments.

Dice for hire, I did not intend to pick on you but you were last ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 pm

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Szath01
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Szath01 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:26 pm

To be honest, backlit sounds absolutely horrible from a buyer perspective. How many scenarios do you want your entire floor backlit? Lava and maybe a few water-based campaigns? I am sure they could make it cool, but no way am I investing in a whole new system like that when it doesn’t add anything to the stuff I already have. For that reason I can’t believe that’s the way they are going. There is no way I can be alone among DF buyers.

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Sat May 18, 2019 4:28 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am
Looking at this on video it looks like they are sitting on a lighted table or a TV screen. I am thinking that yea it may be because they have not rigged the LEDs up to them yet. They do look incredible my only worry is lets hope the factory can get the paint job correct on them. This is a more advanced paint job with more that just slapping down some paint as fast as a factory can do. We will see. This is why I would prefer this to come out after I get to see what the paint job from KSVI looks like. I think DF is making a mistake by trying to run this KS when they have not finished the last one. They are going to have too many irons in the fire (no pun intended).
Hi Unclebilly,

I understand your concerns. I typically buy unpainted because I’m often not happy with the painting quality of the Dwarvenite pieces - and of course because I really enjoy painting them. :D
The paint job on this KS may be more difficult or consists of more steps than usual. Therefore your wish to see the factory standard paint job upfront is valid imo.
If DF changes things with KS7 (degree of alignment with the factory) maybe they could include this topic... :?: :?:

But despite any paint job and everything else...
I’m really happy that they connect themself to certain Campaigns like the new D&D campaign and the pathfinder module. That’s the best way to get a more regular Cashflow and with each new campaign maybe new customers as well. Both helps to stay strong as an innovative market leader.

So keep going this new route. I really looking forward to what’s coming next...

Some last thoughts on backlight system...
It would be very innovative and would fit to DF, but I have no idea how it would work with the height of the existing tiles if you wand to mix stuff. The backlight system would have some height as well.
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 pm

On the left side of the picture in question, I think, we can see a part of a normal lava terrain tray which is definitely not lit. Neither from below, nor by itself. I assume, this terrain tray continues under the lava tiles that are glowing. So I think, there is no LED table below. Either the tiles have LEDs inside, or it is some special UV light effect, or it is just good photoshop.

I think
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm

I'm thinking maybe it's 12"x12" flat LED panels under the terrain. That way, the panels could be used to light the lava rivers, and also light things like transparent terrain tray sheets. I imagine it could open up a lot of possibilities for future offerings as well.

That DOES seem to step away from magnetic trays, but it would be more modular than LEDs built into the 4x4 tiles.

At this point, I honestly don't know what I'm hoping for!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat May 18, 2019 1:08 pm

While i hope for backlit and clear - it seems impractical for most consumers to have a backlit table... so perhaps some new type of embedded lighting (in the edge like the 4x4 piece?)

did anyone consider phosphorescent pant and black light? That would be a lot easier to implement - work without the black light etc

obviously volcano and spitting wall both have LED's
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 am

unclebilly wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:21 am
Where is the miniature from ?

D&D Miniatures: Dungeons of Dread (2008)

I have no idea about the monster’s story or stats, but it’s a very cool looking miniature.

https://www.miniscollector.com/dd-minia ... d/immolith

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”