What’s the latest on when KS7 launches?

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: What’s the latest on when KS7 launches?

Post by Talistran » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 pm

zenako wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:46 am

A production bean was that when they order stuff, they need/want to order on the amount of any given tile roughly 3000 of them. 3000 Dungeon floor tiles, no problem, 3000 Spirit trees for Dreadhollow, not likely to sell that many, maybe a few hundred. That is the core of why the Encounters are likely a thing of the past. Impossible for DF to afford to restock them. While they might go for a few hundred copies, they cannot afford to sit on 3000 copies of Encounter 14 for example. Retails at $1930 for the Underdoom - or close to $6 Million at retail value. The entire KS was only half that. So lots of behind the scenes insight into the guts of making terrain work as a business.
This isn't surprising or news. I've been talking for a year or three that all of the chase pieces drive up the costs substantially, that in order to succeed DF needed to go back to the basics of providing beautifully crafted "basic" terrain and not all the little odds, ends, miniatures, and one of a kinds. You can produce five or ten different kinds of walls or floors for a dungeon, np. People need a bunch of those. But the individual chase pieces from KS5 and 6? NOPE. Sell all the individuals all together as a pack to increase production quantities or don't produce them at all.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Eric Zimmer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:52 am
Yesterdays "on the anvil" had a lot of information
and beans. I surely didn´t get everything, cause I listened to it on my way to work,
but here are some interesting things i picked up:

Launch will be soon soon. ;)

The Factory limited the amount of new sculpts to only150 (caverns deep had 236)
There is possibility to unlock up to 25 more sculpts, but only if we reach 2 million $ +

Encounters are gone! They are probematic for the web shop ( many caverns deep encounters will not be seen again in the shop)

--->YAY! I have always hated encounters. Give me packs of pieces and let me build my encounters (which is what I do anyway -I've never runa DwF encounter and never will, b/c I have my own ongoing campaigns). ---TLW

Pledges:
There are 4 Zones ( desert, forest, mountain, ruins) and all the pledges let you choose one zone.
--->GOOD! ---TLW

1. The classic build your own adventure pledge (10$)
The new part here is, that you´ll receive some stretch goals if you spend certain amounts of dollar.

2. Starter pledges (56$ painted)
You choose one of the 4 encounters and get around 12 pieces of scatter terrain.
2*. Starter bundle pledge (200$ painted)
Starter pledge from all 4 zones at a dicounted price
--->This is great if the scatter terrain section is good for each terrain type. ---TLW

3. Wargamer pledge (300-350 painted)
Again, you choose one of the 4 zones and get a lot of usefull scatter terrain for battle maps, etc.
3*. Wargamer bundle of all 4 zones, again with a discount.

4. Zone Pledge (target price here is 650$)
A variety of pieces of the choosen zone to get some table space filled.
IMPORTANT: There won´t be any ( or max a handfull) of sculpted floors in this pledge level.
This will be mostly terrain trays 2.0 plus scatter terrain. Because the sculpted floors we swa in dreadhollow are extremly expensiv.
--->Great for me b/c I prefer fairly flat (ie felt, TT, etc) base rather than the complicated DH forest floots - mostly b/c we game primarily in 15mm, which are much more unstable on floor irregularities than 25mm ---TLW
4*. Uber Zone Pledge bundle with a discount

5. Mega Builds (prices to be anounced)
A bigger build of your choosen zone including sculpted floors and all the other possible pieces of said zone.
5*. Super mega build bunlde of doom
All 4 mega bundles, 2x stretch goals, dice, etc. at a discounted price.
Target for that price is lower than the caverns deep all in. (yay)
--->This is great too, even though I won't buy it. It puts the floor pieces - which I won't want- in a good spot for those who do want them, b/c if you get 'em you need quite a large number. That quantity would not have fit in the smalle pledges well. ---TLW

What else was there...
- There will be an option to buy only dice
- The limited edition resin exclusives will return (maybe even one per uone)
- There will be some sample build every few days using some packs of the zones(like a build of the month) and you´ll be able to buy the packs for these sample build at a discounted rate ( so something thatt looks a bit like an encounter).
--->THIS is how 'encounters' should always have been done. Not 'you have to buy this' but 'here's an example of how youcan use the loose pieces you can buy'. ---TLW

thats all I was able to catch while driving to work.

If you guys find some errors or have something to add, you´re welcome...

Some interessting changes to the last bi kickstarter.
the hype is real :)

greetings

Eric
---Eric, thanks so much. I'm not paying attention to videos right now so your summary is tremendously helpful.

Looks to me like DwF listened and learned.

Also helpful to know their economic survival forces them to do the KS soon!!! :twisted:

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except, well, maybe I will buy some KS 7.........curse y'all DwF Staff!
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:18 pm

period3 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am
I didn't hear him call out the spirit tree as a problem? I don't think it is much of a problem. The spirit tree is a centre piece, and stocking a lot of them doesn't seem unreasonable as I expect there is a contingent of buyers who focus on centrepiece items (e.g. lots of other companies survive with a focus on centrepieces).

--->Didn't hear Nate, but yes, the spirit tree is a restock problem. How likely is DwF to sell 3000 of them? What I understand from the above is that ANY production run order has a minimum of 3000 items. Ain't gonna sell 3000 spirit trees in the store any time soon. And so on with other speciality items.---TLW

My understanding (1:05:50 or so in the video) was that the problem were the mixed sets that contain only 1 or 2 of a piece -- stuff like encounter core sets, or even encounters in general.

I am expecting that they will restock the spirit tree and cave mouth at some point. It sounds like the majority of encounters will not be restocked.
WeaselWarGod

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am

I didn't hear him call out the spirit tree as a problem? I don't think it is much of a problem. The spirit tree is a centre piece, and stocking a lot of them doesn't seem unreasonable as I expect there is a contingent of buyers who focus on centrepiece items (e.g. lots of other companies survive with a focus on centrepieces).

My understanding (1:05:50 or so in the video) was that the problem were the mixed sets that contain only 1 or 2 of a piece -- stuff like encounter core sets, or even encounters in general.

I am expecting that they will restock the spirit tree and cave mouth at some point. It sounds like the majority of encounters will not be restocked.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:46 am

Good summary, I would add that Nate kept mentioning that any dollar numbers he mentioned were notional and not locked in. That some of them reflected their current design targets and will depend on actual content costs once the KS is finalized for a go.

He did mention that they "Had to do one this summer" since it is vital to their ongoing operations, cash flow and schedule with the factory for production.

He also mentioned that they will probably not be doing multiple paint schemes like we saw in CD again anytime soon. To complex and divides up the market into too many smaller buckets that later become impossible to afford to restock.

A production bean was that when they order stuff, they need/want to order on the amount of any given tile roughly 3000 of them. 3000 Dungeon floor tiles, no problem, 3000 Spirit trees for Dreadhollow, not likely to sell that many, maybe a few hundred. That is the core of why the Encounters are likely a thing of the past. Impossible for DF to afford to restock them. While they might go for a few hundred copies, they cannot afford to sit on 3000 copies of Encounter 14 for example. Retails at $1930 for the Underdoom - or close to $6 Million at retail value. The entire KS was only half that. So lots of behind the scenes insight into the guts of making terrain work as a business.

Eric Zimmer
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Eric Zimmer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:52 am

Yesterdays "on the anvil" had a lot of information
and beans. I surely didn´t get everything, cause I listened to it on my way to work,
but here are some interesting things i picked up:

Launch will be soon soon. ;)

The Factory limited the amount of new sculpts to only150 (caverns deep had 236)
There is possibility to unlock up to 25 more sculpts, but only if we reach 2 million $ +

Encounters are gone! They are probematic for the web shop ( many caverns deep encounters will not be seen again in the shop)

Pledges:
There are 4 Zones ( desert, forest, mountain, ruins) and all the pledges let you choose one zone.

1. The classic build your own adventure pledge (10$)
The new part here is, that you´ll receive some stretch goals if you spend certain amounts of dollar.

2. Starter pledges (56$ painted)
You choose one of the 4 encounters and get around 12 pieces of scatter terrain.
2*. Starter bundle pledge (200$ painted)
Starter pledge from all 4 zones at a dicounted price

3. Wargamer pledge (300-350 painted)
Again, you choose one of the 4 zones and get a lot of usefull scatter terrain for battle maps, etc.
3*. Wargamer bundle of all 4 zones, again with a discount.

4. Zone Pledge (target price here is 650$)
A variety of pieces of the choosen zone to get some table space filled.
IMPORTANT: There won´t be any ( or max a handfull) of sculpted floors in this pledge level.
This will be mostly terrain trays 2.0 plus scatter terrain. Because the sculpted floors we swa in dreadhollow are extremly expensiv.
4*. Uber Zone Pledge bundle with a discount

5. Mega Builds (prices to be anounced)
A bigger build of your choosen zone including sculpted floors and all the other possible pieces of said zone.
5*. Super mega build bunlde of doom
All 4 mega bundles, 2x stretch goals, dice, etc. at a discounted price.
Target for that price is lower than the caverns deep all in. (yay)

What else was there...
- There will be an option to buy only dice
- The limited edition resin exclusives will return (maybe even one per uone)
- There will be some sample build every few days using some packs of the zones(like a build of the month) and you´ll be able to buy the packs for these sample build at a discounted rate ( so something thatt looks a bit like an encounter).

thats all I was able to catch while driving to work.

If you guys find some errors or have something to add, you´re welcome...

Some interessting changes to the last bi kickstarter.
the hype is real :)

greetings

Eric

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:37 am

As Dory would say "just keep saving, just keep saving …"
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:32 pm
Currently it's "summer."
Thanks. I will just keep saving and dreaming.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:32 pm

Currently it's "summer."
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:15 pm

soon for the announcement

soon for the start date

I am thinking.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”