April Update

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Re: April Update

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 am

Wait, what? William I had no idea you were doing that. Every photo? That sounds like a lot of work.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed May 05, 2021 8:50 am

Since about 2015, every picture. Not any if it was just a link, it had to be viewable here in the Forum. It's become easier over the last few years since more people post on other sites like FB or IG. All due to some GREAT posts being lost over the years. You will probably come across a few older threads where we went in and reposted the pictures, but then the links were fixed so there is now two variations of the pictures. That is because the newer version of the Forum required smaller sized photos to post, but D.F. made those old larger pictures work again somehow. Although if you link a large picture from an outside host it will show up and I do save those (again, if it shows on forum...).

Here is the latest limits from D.F. info.

Forum Attachment Limits
Maximum size file upload: 700 Kb
Maximum size file messaging: 500 Kb
Maximum number of attachments per post: 25
Maximum image dimensions: 680px x 680px
Maximum avatars size: 75px x 75px, 20kB bytes
No attachments in private posts
New usernames - 6-20 characters
New passwords: - 8-24 characters
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Wed May 05, 2021 9:12 am

A lot of work, but a noble endeavor.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Wed May 05, 2021 9:23 am

William wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 am Not as of now, but they are saved here on external HD.

If they have a crash I could send to D.F. a disc or few+++
Someday (hopefully, before any crash) I would like to make some 'repository' on line, but I'm the worst at computer/organization and know zilch on making a blog or web site. I'm a lot more of a crafter/builder than computer geek. Never even got into games on them, I so preferred real games and doing stuff outside over sitting in front of a screen. Truthfully, I wish these things were never invented, because I'm O.K. with a 'small' world. I so much preferred drawing on velum with ink or graphite, rather than connecting lines on a dumb screen. It took away any personal individuality out of architectural plans. Drafting and design used to be a skill that took years to develop, today not so much. Just churn out those ugly sterile looking plans. Technology keeps on trucking and we individuals are being lost in transition or is that translation...? :? I don't know, just a bunch of 1's and 0's now.

Back on target... essentially I have made a giant main folder and single folders for every Forum Poster who has dropped any picture in here (even the bad memes). Some larger postings have subfolders with those builds separated out. As of right now I have just under 340 folders of members, with some having multiple folders under that. Doing a properties check on the main folder it has 34,330 Files, 647 Folders and is 13.7 GB (14,730,883,072 bytes).

If you know someone who could set it up and then I could fill over the next few years... ;)
I really think just burning some discs after the crash/problem would be much easier in the long run (FOR ME). ;) :lol:
Wow, started working as a Draftsman while finishing up my undergraduate degree, was at the top of that pecking order in a couple of years, but that was back in 1980 when computers were just starting to enter the world of drafting and word processing in a bigger way. Most of what I worked on were precision mechanical parts or circuit boards (a lot more involved back in the days before the computer routed everything for you!!!). So hear and understand your lament William.

As for computer file size, that 13.7 GB total is not that bad overall. I suspect that is because of the file size limits DF has on images being posted. Even easier than burning multiple CD's would be using a small thumb drive and putting them on that. Most really free hosting sites have a few GB limit that I am aware of, so those would not be an easy option.

I wonder if we could convince DF to consider hosting an Image Archive site, separate from the forums, not sorted beyond the level you already have them at. Restrict write access to that site, and let folks know it exists. There are tons of classic images from some builds that it would be a shame to lose access to down the road.

Droooo
Orc
Orc

Post by Droooo » Wed May 05, 2021 9:33 am

If you already have a Microsoft Office subscription, you get 1TB per user of OneDrive space which lets you share folders publicly.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed May 05, 2021 9:46 am

Droooo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:33 am If you already have a Microsoft Office subscription, you get 1TB per user of OneDrive space which lets you share folders publicly.
I haven't had MS Office in a decade. Last computer death I just decided I didn't use it enough to pay for it. My wife gets pretty irritated by that, when she leaves her laptop at the office (it is the company's). She's been hinting for a few years to have work give her a copy for my computer, hasn't yet though. Also, then I probably wouldn't get the license to get the free TB.
It's kind-of how things go here anyway. Mission, NOT critical. ;) :lol:

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 05, 2021 11:17 am

I'd just ask DF if they would be interested in buying you a large flash drive and having you copy the stuff over and ship it to them so they can have it on hand in case the forums crash again. You have more capacity now on flash memory than on anything on a disc.
101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed May 05, 2021 11:40 am

True. :) I was just saying, as they say. ;)
A flash drive is probably fairly cheap anyway, I could cover that.
Plus, I'm still at it for awhile, so might as well wait till I say 'uncle' for good.

I sure hope they are backing things up at this point, so I probably should find when that (if it did) started. Then I could just send what's before that date. :?:

Edit-
If I would have thought about it earlier, I should have saved them by thread names. That would have been the easiest way to link the picture to it's place it should go. Some of us have posted hundreds of pictures and they are only slightly organized by location. Only the subfolders have a clue as to the locations. Finding locations with only forum member names would still be a daunting task.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm

You can get a 10 pack of 32GB flash drives for like $30 on Amazon these days. A pair of 128GB flash drives for under $20. They are in fact pretty inexpensive. I use a series of 128GB drives for keeping digital copies of old pictures and files in my Safe Deposit Box at the local bank branch. Compared to the old CD, or DVD's they hold tons of stuff and fit a lot easier in the box.

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Wed May 05, 2021 7:18 pm

William wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 amthe main folder has 34,330 Files, 647 Folders and is 13.7 GB
So that's 13 GB for Law's pictures and 0.7 GB for the rest of us? :lol:

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”