April Update

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: April Update

Post by Law » Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 am

Hahhahaha, I suppose we're dealing with a very specialized group here, the bar for "crazy" is different with us.

Starved Hound wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm How many pages were in the book Law, and I love the feel of a book in my hands.

Oh, did you have it bound in leather?

That's priceless 🙂
It's 111 pages, glossy, pages are about 11x15", I think? No leather cover, tho. ;) But it does have a nice slipcover.

And, seriously, I like holding a book in my hands. I don't like having to be dependent on power and the internet and a working computer. I like the nineteenth century simplicity of pulling a tome off a shelf and perusing in its purest form. ;) (I've said before I would suspect a tendency towards ludditism in at least SOME of the people who enjoy gaming in a pre-technological society... surely one can't spend all day painting wizards and bookshelves and scrolls and not at least KIND of like books, no....?) I would defend my position by pointing out that if I want to look at photos from my time in grad school, they're in a small photo album on a bookshelf and I can locate them in about 3 minutes and the work in keeping them has never been more than "remember where this album is." Photos of my son when he was born? Well, they're on a laptop that died ten years ago, but I have a backup on a cloud, but I need to update the password constantly, and spend time uploading them every time I get a new laptop since they're designed to be obsolete every three years or so, and sometimes there are problems with the upload or the internet connection, and meanwhile I have to pay to keep the cloud maintained . . . .so, yeah.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Fri May 07, 2021 8:51 am

Luddites are us. I do not own any electronic books, gaming or otherwise that I do not also have a physical copy of. My cellphone still flip open and is far from smart. While my mom liked the digital camera (since it had become so hard to get film and get it developed), she still got prints (with my help ) of all the pictures she took of her hobbies and crafts and trips.

I like the convenience at times of the digital pictures, but they can also be a pain to store and sort consistently. Got a new storage card for the camera and there was no obvious way to set the storage scheme to pick up where the old one left off. Just started at 001 again. Sigh. Got about a year or two before I run into the same numbers on the folders the old one had.

As far as crazy, not sure any of us are crazy, what about the rest of the world who does not engage their minds and explore fantastic worlds and lands. Who live day to day with nothing but current reality. Doing just that could drive one crazy. Let me drift off to Valaria, or Hagglethorn, or Exandria, or Greyhawk and enjoy a different time and world. Read actual books (my wife devours them almost daily), play actual games with boards and pieces on a table. Real stuff.

Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Starved Hound » Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 pm

Thanks for the reply Law. It sounds as if it was quite the project indeed. 111 pages, glossy, semi thick and with a slipcase, is no small undertaking. Great size too at 11"x15" for resting on your lap, or even to fit in beside the rest of your books in a bookcase.

Hard to beat the feeling of weight, and the feeling of adventure everytime you turn a page. I do not use any digital media when running my games, as I like to have the physical item/s in front of me when I need to reference something.

It takes up room, not as quick to access, and can be a pain to lug around.

But damn it feels good. 🙂

You should do a leatherbound edition Law, and sell them to members. I'd by one, for the livingroom coffee table.
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 2500 pieces of Valoria

Seraphis the Bland
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 pm

zenako wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:25 am
Vegomatic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 amTop10.JPG
And Vegomatic is lurking just below the Minotaur Lord level with about 50 posts to go to hit it so he was just out of sight on his screen grab... :D
Where do you find the post counter? that's kind of fun.

Seraphis the Bland
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat May 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 am Law we would be interested in your coffee table photo book you produced for DF a while back.
Or at least the pictures you decided to include.

All our pictures are sourced from Flickr as we find that easier to publish and gives us an online repository of all our hobby related pictures.
I had no idea that existed. How about a couple of simple shots of your book Law? that would be really cool to see what you created. :)

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sat May 08, 2021 6:18 pm

Seraphis the Bland wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 pm
zenako wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:25 am
Vegomatic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 amTop10.JPG
And Vegomatic is lurking just below the Minotaur Lord level with about 50 posts to go to hit it so he was just out of sight on his screen grab... :D
Where do you find the post counter? that's kind of fun.
There is a link at the bottom of the Forum Page called "Members" click on that and listing of all forum members shows up, you can then click on the various column headers to sort by that column, so clicking on "Posts" sorts by post count.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 pm

That members bit is interesting. Is the post count since the 2010 reboot?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri May 14, 2021 12:10 am

zenako wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:51 am Luddites are us. I do not own any electronic books, gaming or otherwise that I do not also have a physical copy of.
I LOVE books - i own far tooo many - the feel of a book, the artwork... they are just magical

Sadly, over the last few years i have become totally reliant on the PFSRD (and the 5e equivalent) - when you are choosing between spells in an evolving tactical situation (and you have the memory of a houseplant) having four tabs open and clicking back and forth is a LOT easier than having four bookmarks and flipping the pages - not to mention being able to click on the details of a spell, poison, condition or whatever

I feel like a traitor....
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

John D
Ogre
Ogre

Post by John D » Fri May 14, 2021 3:16 am

Should I get these? It's 400 bucks for the set - leather bound, etc.
Tolkiens-Classics-0193-1.jpg
Tolkiens-Classics-0193-1.jpg (113.2 KiB) Viewed 127 times

wait, what forum is this again?
;)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 am

If you have the desire and funds..., go for it. :D

I like the color too.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”