Ruins, cont.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Ruins, cont.

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon May 13, 2019 3:49 am

Was really impressed with KS3 and KS4 ruins even though we felt the Castles could have done with much more.

Was disappointed that DoD had none but they rectified that in CD even though there were no Cavern ruins, which is maybe excusable give their natural nature.

We would however have liked to have seen some standalone rubble in CD to be able to create blocked passages, cave ins etc. They did provide bone piles, stalagmites, freestanding basalt, risers, banks and ledges.

You can argue you can provide your own rubble, just go outside you can normally find it just lying on the ground ;)

Here are a few pictures of our use of KS3 and 4 ruins :)

But first FIRE!!!!

Now you get ruins

Some Castle ruins

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 pm

zenako wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:36 pm
Here is a quick sample from a preliminary set up from last year. It used to be a more developed fortification, but had fallen into disrepair, and was being occupied by some portion of the local Orc Invaders. Note all the Tower ruins portions forming the remains of a couple of small buildings in the back middle portion.
That looks seriously kewl! DF, I hope you are listening!!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun May 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Here is a quick sample from a preliminary set up from last year. It used to be a more developed fortification, but had fallen into disrepair, and was being occupied by some portion of the local Orc Invaders. Note all the Tower ruins portions forming the remains of a couple of small buildings in the back middle portion.
Attachments
Field Fortification with Ruins inside small.jpg
Field Fortification with Ruins inside small
Field Fortification with Ruins inside small.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 1133 times

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sun May 12, 2019 3:19 pm

zenako wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:39 am
I would guess my collection of ruined walls and structures have gotten more collective use than any other DF tiles. There is almost ALWAYS a place to use them. They provide intermediate cover locations for approaching forces, be they the players or the DM's minions. They provide a sense of age and vulnerability to the location. Even vibrant locations (think Winterfell) can suffer a lot of damage and have extensive ruined portions in times of conflict.

One of the few cavern/dungeon encounters I picked up in the KS6 offering was the ruins.
How about a pic or two? :)

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sat May 11, 2019 8:39 am

I would guess my collection of ruined walls and structures have gotten more collective use than any other DF tiles. There is almost ALWAYS a place to use them. They provide intermediate cover locations for approaching forces, be they the players or the DM's minions. They provide a sense of age and vulnerability to the location. Even vibrant locations (think Winterfell) can suffer a lot of damage and have extensive ruined portions in times of conflict.

One of the few cavern/dungeon encounters I picked up in the KS6 offering was the ruins.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 11, 2019 2:35 am

Ruined FTW, lots more use for ruins than perfectly functioning dungeons, castles and cities.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Tue May 07, 2019 11:32 pm

I would definitely like to have a Ruined Keep at some point.
I would use it more than a ruined castle.

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 am
You cannot have enough ruins - FACT!

We created a thread about how many ruined sculpts you would need for a decent ruined castle back in KSIV.

While we may have adimitedly go over the top by saying each non ruined sculpt should have two ruined versions, we dont think it was unreasonable for there to be at least one for each.
That would include crenellations that were seen in some pictures, both wall spacers, corner walls, 4" towers, tower floors, roof platforms, doors, draw bridge, the list can go on :)

So for us we would like to see a ruin for any sculpt of a man/rabbit made object, even if it is already a ruin !!!!!

Ruined ruins is the way forward ....... too far?.........ok scratch that last bit.
I think you are seriously on to something RB. :) Common'! Ruined castle out in the waste? Are you kidding me?! even if it was just the charred remains of the BASE of the castle, this would be amazing. And so versatile. Even just a couple more ruined versions from KS5 would be great to have: ruined window/wall from the KS1 could be used in so many circumstances.
Last edited by Seraphis the Bland on Wed May 08, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Tue May 07, 2019 10:13 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:09 pm
::raises hand::

Just my personal pride moment here. Stefan had originally sculpted chasm pieces that were more round, but decided to re-do them. After releasing pics, I suggested he make them work together so they could be used in the same 2x2 square. He changed the sculpts a little so they would fit.

Not that anyone cares but me, but I've always loved those pieces as a result. :D Not that I really DID anything substantial, but I feel a connection.
That's a great story. I really need more of those pieces now. I love how they almost fit together.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Tue May 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 am
While we may have adimitedly go over the top by saying each non ruined sculpt should have two ruined versions, we dont think it was unreasonable for there to be at least one for each.

Ruined ruins is the way forward
So, like a semi-ruined version and a total devastation version?
A ruined 'shored up' ruin?

btw, I have the perfect method for 'devastating' DF sculpts: Cover lightly with peanut butter, then give it to my bulldog for an hour. never fails.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”