KS8 theme - Hear Me Out

Hexenmond
Kobold
Kobold

Re: KS8 theme - Hear Me Out

Post by Hexenmond » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:04 am
I wonder if walls with magnets inside would work? We have walls with metal inside already (and magnetic accessories). With the magnet in the wall you could do bendable vines, mirrors, etc. Lots of stuff made out of metal. Of course, metal is prone to snapping, scratching, and denting though.
My gut feeling is that we already have enough sub-systems at this point. I would rather see ongoing support for those than new systems that can be better under certain conditions, but essentially solve the same problem.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:06 am

Rhapsody2008 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 am
DWChancellor wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm
MrMorden wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:27 pm
How about something they have never done: coasts.
Galladoria took a stab at coasts. Beach, docks, cranes, a pelican. Box has been sitting on my desk for months. Just doesn't come up for me.
I honestly have to second this... mine are sitting there untouched sadly. I've used a few dock pieces as scatter, but the artistic style of the pieces, and the number of them don't allow for much variance in setup I find, so alas, they sit alongside 6-8 secret weapon mine boxes I'll never get around to painting lol.. (though 1 core set does make a nice detour through a breached wall passage)
Welcome to the forums Rhapsody :)

Our docks have been used - though they could do with a touch-up.

Apologies for the gratuitous adding of picture ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:50 am

Arbados wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:43 am
WOW, so many thoughts and ideas posted here and here are mine!

I'm not a big fan of DF going the route of outdoor terrain with trees. However, I may be in the minority with this.

When I think of DF I think of various ground terrain tiles. Yes they could make tiles which have bushes, rocks, roots, etc. but full grown trees are not my thing. I think the model train trees which are quite inexpensive serve this purpose wonderfully. You can basically get amazing looking realistic trees for a fraction of the cost and they look so much better and realistic than any dwarvenite tree. Simply look around and you'll find gorgeous trees for a fraction of the DF cost and they look awesome! You can get birch, oak, pine, etc! Anything you want.

If DF wants to go the outdoor route (which I'm not a fan, but will still offer my thoughts to assist in the endeavor) I'd say go for more floor terrain tiles. You could do so much with this. Awesome tiles with bushes, flower patches, grass, weeds, cattails, reeds, etc. Of course you'd have to make the tiles so minis could be placed on them but that would be the same issue with trees I guess. I'm sure they could figure it out!

With that being said MY #1 desire is for ongoing support and tiles that work with the original caverns and dungeons! That is my #1 desire and is the BEST interest with gamers using terrain.
We strongly believe that Dreadhollow showed that dwarvenite trees were what we wanted, even when we also felt them as unnecessary and amply covered by a lot of cheaper options by other companies

Before Dreadhollow all your misgivings were felt by most here and some are still valid, trees are cheaper elsewhere, and having got a lot of trees, Dreadhollow feels like a massive upgrade.

This is admittedly without actually having any yet. But their modularity and aesthetics will, we believe, set a new standard to forests and trees with the ability of actually being able to play within and around them.

So we are looking forward to KS7 expanding on Dreadhollow with more tile options, paths etc more tree options, fir trees, dead trees, winter trees, tree houses ?

We are told that there will be a lot of scatter terrain and hopefully now some lava transition tiles.

We expect some CBS related buildings and hoping for some more Castle ruins. Would love to see some overgrowth options for CBS and Castles too.

Also perhaps a docks expansion, this we feel may well depend on how the dock sold in CD (we ordered one). We have the Galladoria docks and have used them a number of times and quite happy with them (even if a light wash and drybrush would not go amiss). Would like to see more elaborate docks with some serious machinery to go with it, Derricks etc.

A lighthouse would float or dock moored boat big time. This could be developed using Castle towers and so could be integrated into a Castle build as either a lighthouse or beacon. Done this in a few builds using castle towers and Led elements :)

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:04 am

I wonder if walls with magnets inside would work? We have walls with metal inside already (and magnetic accessories). With the magnet in the wall you could do bendable vines, mirrors, etc. Lots of stuff made out of metal. Of course, metal is prone to snapping, scratching, and denting though.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Hexenmond wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 pm
What I'm hoping for is new options for various subsystems that were not supported in KS6.66: Magnetic wall accessories, wall-mounted LEDs, floor-mounted LEDs, 2x2 textures, etc. If the main theme of KS7 is going to be outdoor wilderness, then please give us magnetic creeping vines, LED ancient elvish wall orbs, LED enchanted well, 2x2 whirling faerie dust textures, etc. I'm much more interested in a new kind of terrain if I can take its theme to my dungeon or caverns.
100% agree. Compatibility is key for me. That means both having good transitions where needed, and ideally elements like you mentioned that I can drop right into other themes. I'd love magnetic or clip-on vines to allow me to drop dungeon seamlessly into a jungle or other wilderness setting, some more lush floors/cliffs to work into my erinthor mountains or caverns, or dungeon dressing that lets me turn those save dungeon/cave environments into places that really look inhabited by the beasts of the wildlands.

I think I'd also get a lot of use out of some more vegetation scatter terrain. I'm frequently using my KS2 mushrooms, and a broader range of pieces like that would be great.

Hexenmond
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Hexenmond » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 pm

What I'm hoping for is new options for various subsystems that were not supported in KS6.66: Magnetic wall accessories, wall-mounted LEDs, floor-mounted LEDs, 2x2 textures, etc. If the main theme of KS7 is going to be outdoor wilderness, then please give us magnetic creeping vines, LED ancient elvish wall orbs, LED enchanted well, 2x2 whirling faerie dust textures, etc. I'm much more interested in a new kind of terrain if I can take its theme to my dungeon or caverns.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:38 am

Rhapsody2008 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 am
DWChancellor wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
Galladoria took a stab at coasts. Beach, docks, cranes, a pelican. Box has been sitting on my desk for months. Just doesn't come up for me.
I honestly have to second this... mine are sitting there untouched sadly. I've used a few dock pieces as scatter, but the artistic style of the pieces, and the number of them don't allow for much variance in setup I find, so alas, they sit alongside 6-8 secret weapon mine boxes I'll never get around to painting lol.. (though 1 core set does make a nice detour through a breached wall passage)
One thing I can envision is later on using some of the Secret Weapon Mine stuff to cross an old mine that has been compromised by a magma breach!! Falling off a jump between those pillars into Magma instead of just slimy water ups the risk a bit for the characters. Just have to wait until my characters get to the old mines that the red Dragon has "upgraded" with its own heating system....I have nefarious plans ahead for those folks, perhaps a year or more down the line (we only get together to play about once a month - next weekend is our next session) so plot lines take a while to mature in the real world. I can also see a situation where they hit the coastal city down the road and all my docks and boats come into play.

As for those Galladoria (Forge Print) docks, I did get them painted, but I also picked up another 50 of the unpainted blanks of the original design. Painted those enough to use, but they could use some detailing. Secret Weapon stuff has been painted, too, but again could use time for detailing once I know I will be using them more. Already used them once for a seperate actual mine off of a DF dungeon type area.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:50 am

I will use mine once a chance comes up. They are simple, agreed, but decent and a good value.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rhapsody2008

Post by Rhapsody2008 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 am

DWChancellor wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:43 am

WOW, so many thoughts and ideas posted here and here are mine!

I'm not a big fan of DF going the route of outdoor terrain with trees. However, I may be in the minority with this.

When I think of DF I think of various ground terrain tiles. Yes they could make tiles which have bushes, rocks, roots, etc. but full grown trees are not my thing. I think the model train trees which are quite inexpensive serve this purpose wonderfully. You can basically get amazing looking realistic trees for a fraction of the cost and they look so much better and realistic than any dwarvenite tree. Simply look around and you'll find gorgeous trees for a fraction of the DF cost and they look awesome! You can get birch, oak, pine, etc! Anything you want.

If DF wants to go the outdoor route (which I'm not a fan, but will still offer my thoughts to assist in the endeavor) I'd say go for more floor terrain tiles. You could do so much with this. Awesome tiles with bushes, flower patches, grass, weeds, cattails, reeds, etc. Of course you'd have to make the tiles so minis could be placed on them but that would be the same issue with trees I guess. I'm sure they could figure it out!

With that being said MY #1 desire is for ongoing support and tiles that work with the original caverns and dungeons! That is my #1 desire and is the BEST interest with gamers using terrain.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”