Orc
Orc

Re: Wildlands Survey

Post by NiandoBG » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:33 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am
NiandoBG wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:23 pm
I already have 5 high quality 3x3 feet battle maps.
Out of curiosity what are your battle maps of?
I have some from DeepCut Studios; Canvas: Mousepad.
https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/w ... mat-swamp/

I‘m very happy with the quality
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:36 am

combs1ng wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:29 am
kodiakbear wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:12 am
combs1ng wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Btw, have you had them for a long time? I assume you use them a lot, does the finish on them hold up well to constant use?
I have had them since KS4 fulfilled or just after that and yes they have seen a good amount of use. As for the finish, well, :oops: I have not painted any of my Dwarvenite yet so far so I really can not say much about that. I have so much fun setting up and playing with it when I have time, I never get around to painting it.
:lol: Everything I have gotten has been painted for that reason. I just know I wouldn't get to it nearly as much as I would want to, especially now with my two young daughters. I prefer to spend my painting time on miniatures and have gotten through a hundred or so. I still have plenty of unpainted though :?
Kudos on getting a hundred or so minis painted :) - got to look at the positive and not the big pile of grey/white plastic staring at you.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

NiandoBG wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:23 pm
Out of curiosity what are your battle maps of?

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:23 pm

I‘m not a fan of DF battle maps.

Even if I use them in many builds they are still very limited in the way you can use them.

A big part of DF terrain is creativity and versatility of the tiles. Battlemaps don‘t fulfill these needs for me.

IMO it is to far way from the core business and the DF brand.
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:29 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:12 am
combs1ng wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Btw, have you had them for a long time? I assume you use them a lot, does the finish on them hold up well to constant use?
I have had them since KS4 fulfilled or just after that and yes they have seen a good amount of use. As for the finish, well, :oops: I have not painted any of my Dwarvenite yet so far so I really can not say much about that. I have so much fun setting up and playing with it when I have time, I never get around to painting it.
:lol: Everything I have gotten has been painted for that reason. I just know I wouldn't get to it nearly as much as I would want to, especially now with my two young daughters. I prefer to spend my painting time on miniatures and have gotten through a hundred or so. I still have plenty of unpainted though :?
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 am

Between what mountains I have and what forests are coming i can do a decent start on covering one of our tables. Maybe I can cover it. I am gonna find out!!!!

I think I will be pretty happy with my forest and outdoor terrain once CD arrives. In a way I hope Wildlands makes me eat my words and I get a bunch, but on the other hand i hope I can just pick up a bit.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:47 am

Szath01 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:54 pm
I’m ok with scatter terrain, but I don’t need DF battle maps. There are enough companies out there with good quality battle maps (or like some, one may want to print custom and put it under some plexi).

DF is about tiles for the most part, and I hope that even if they do come out with scatter terrain there is also the option to pick up enough tiles for whatever “biospheres” they take us to.

I dream of a full table coverage DF forest with tiles from edge to edge.
Whilst we agree DF do not need to do battle mats, they could do an on demand version that would match their tiles.

All they need to do is supply a third party battle mat producer a High rez version of whatever tiles are requested.

For example a forest battle mat would use an image of a forest tile (s) - without the stumps/trees. The same for mountains, cobblestones.

Of course these would be expensive and delivery time is likely to be ‘soon’ ;)
And would also lead to further enquiries where you want printed 2D terrain features of DF 3D terrain, a CBS, Castles battle mat. So probably more hassle than it is worth to DF.

We believe that there will be plenty of tiles too in KSVII.

Our intention is also to fill our table with wilderness tiles, we made a decent start with Dreadhollow, very much expecting to add to it - time and cost will tell if we get to completely cover our table (probably not)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:16 am

Personally I am curious how much a 6' by 4' "terrain tray" with steel inside would cost to ship ....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

DF could definitely sell large sheets of its terrain tray artwork on the thin sheets pretty easily, but making it into actual high quality mats is another step away from tiles. I still really do not support DF getting too far away from tiles.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:59 am

The problem with the DF should not do battle maps statement is that they have already gone down the terrain tray path and it would be nice to have something 2'x3' that matched those terrain trays. If you are doing a elevation build with rivers leading into a large lake you do not want to take 6 terrain trays and put them on the table at the very start of the build and not have any for the rivers. And since a KS called Wildlands screams for large builds it makes sense for DF to make battle maps that work with their terrain trays.

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Szath01 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:54 pm
I’m ok with scatter terrain, but I don’t need DF battle maps. There are enough companies out there with good quality battle maps (or like some, one may want to print custom and put it under some plexi).

DF is about tiles for the most part, and I hope that even if they do come out with scatter terrain there is also the option to pick up enough tiles for whatever “biospheres” they take us to.

I dream of a full table coverage DF forest with tiles from edge to edge.
I like your term "biospheres". I think there is zero risk that DF will not provide a wealth of tiles to create a full and dynamic biosphere. For most the restriction is going to be cost, not a lack of tiles to choose from.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”