Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
AlphaPaladin
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

Post by AlphaPaladin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:30 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:21 pm
I wondered that too, but looking at the PM the bramble pack only shows straights.

With the PF2 association, I also wonder if DF is going to test the waters with retail distribution again, this time with Paizo's network. Could be interesting.
Its straight in the instagram picture too, its just two pieces, one against the wall and then another section coming out at an angel. The pieces are not connected if you look close enough.

AlphaPaladin
Kobold
Kobold

Post by AlphaPaladin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Give the beans we have thus far I think the Plaguestone sets will have only fewer unique pieces (curved cells) than I feel many would think. However, if these sets have more bread and butter pieces for say mountains without buying another whole mountain set I am definitely interested.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:21 pm

I wondered that too, but looking at the PM the bramble pack only shows straights.

With the PF2 association, I also wonder if DF is going to test the waters with retail distribution again, this time with Paizo's network. Could be interesting.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:58 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:49 am
Looks like a couple new pieces there. I do like hte vine wall, hope that is in Wildlands.
Is the vine wall really a new piece, or is it the thorn wall from KS6?
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:49 am

Looks like a couple new pieces there. I do like hte vine wall, hope that is in Wildlands. Should be some good beans in this next week with Gencon on the horizon, or maybe well closer than the horizon.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:19 am

I think that the rocky crag to the left of the cave entrance is a new corner piece.

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 am

DF posted a bean on instagram if you missed it. Here are pics showing the curved cage piece we've seen but there are some new vine walls pictured. The outdoor motif is continuing. I'm glad we'll get to see these and pre-order soon - this week ?!?!?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0gu-vWFGQG ... _copy_link

AlphaPaladin
Kobold
Kobold

Post by AlphaPaladin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Gargs454 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 pm

That said, the DF agreement is a bit different. They've known 2ed was coming likely for years now. The real question comes down to when did they decide they wanted to partner with DF? The problem there is that DF is a very small company without a lot of extra room in the budget as well (both time and money) so squeezing in the PF sculpts with the rest of their sculpts (and getting time at the factory overseas) becomes pretty difficult.

I'd bet that the Paizo Dwarven Forge partnership is fairly new and that doing the 1st module in Dwarven Forge was a more recent after thought. I think that if the partnership had been established three years ago when 2nd edition was first announced the timeline might have made more sense. Given that this was slotted in between two major kickstarters really speaks to me that DF was given an opportunity to do this more recently than we would think and ran with it. The marketing for this I hope moved DF towards a more mass appeal and remove some of the HYPER LUXURY view than some people have of it.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 pm

AlphaPaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm
kitenerd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

paizo is notorious for "almost getting the timing right" - they do a really good job of making maps and minis to align with their adventures, but they very rarely have them ready for a simultaneous release - it is kind of remarkably inept for an operation of that scale

but yeah, missed opportunities left and right (what a bout a box set with maps, modules, minis?)
So a lot of Paizo's timing issues have to do with their art schedule and payment. Generally their modules are six months and they don't pay for all the art upfront when they start art process for the first part of the six. Because of this all the art for tokens and maps and such for the whole story is not done until the art for the sixth part is wrapped up. Paying for all that art up front is an expensive endeavor given the revenue from some of that art will not be obtained until the 6th month after the first part is released. So its not inept its the fact that art is expensive (rightly so) but Paizo doesn't necessarily have the excess capital sitting around to tie up in art for that long.
This is definitely a valid point. The only real counterpoint is that most of their income, at least with respect to AP's comes from the subscriptions (I would guess) so they could at least anticipate the amount of revenue coming in on the back end. The problem of course is that they are releasing a new AP module every month, so the expenses just keep adding up. Certainly having minis available at the time of the initial release of the first module could result in more revenue, but also more expense on Paizo's part up front.

That said, the DF agreement is a bit different. They've known 2ed was coming likely for years now. The real question comes down to when did they decide they wanted to partner with DF? The problem there is that DF is a very small company without a lot of extra room in the budget as well (both time and money) so squeezing in the PF sculpts with the rest of their sculpts (and getting time at the factory overseas) becomes pretty difficult.

AlphaPaladin
Kobold
Kobold

Post by AlphaPaladin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

paizo is notorious for "almost getting the timing right" - they do a really good job of making maps and minis to align with their adventures, but they very rarely have them ready for a simultaneous release - it is kind of remarkably inept for an operation of that scale

but yeah, missed opportunities left and right (what a bout a box set with maps, modules, minis?)
So a lot of Paizo's timing issues have to do with their art schedule and payment. Generally their modules are six months and they don't pay for all the art upfront when they start art process for the first part of the six. Because of this all the art for tokens and maps and such for the whole story is not done until the art for the sixth part is wrapped up. Paying for all that art up front is an expensive endeavor given the revenue from some of that art will not be obtained until the 6th month after the first part is released. So its not inept its the fact that art is expensive (rightly so) but Paizo doesn't necessarily have the excess capital sitting around to tie up in art for that long.

Return to “Pathfinder Sets”