Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
AlphaPaladin

Re: Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

Post by AlphaPaladin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

paizo is notorious for "almost getting the timing right" - they do a really good job of making maps and minis to align with their adventures, but they very rarely have them ready for a simultaneous release - it is kind of remarkably inept for an operation of that scale

but yeah, missed opportunities left and right (what a bout a box set with maps, modules, minis?)
So a lot of Paizo's timing issues have to do with their art schedule and payment. Generally their modules are six months and they don't pay for all the art upfront when they start art process for the first part of the six. Because of this all the art for tokens and maps and such for the whole story is not done until the art for the sixth part is wrapped up. Paying for all that art up front is an expensive endeavor given the revenue from some of that art will not be obtained until the 6th month after the first part is released. So its not inept its the fact that art is expensive (rightly so) but Paizo doesn't necessarily have the excess capital sitting around to tie up in art for that long.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

nielsene wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 pm
I'm just very, very sad that the DF PF stuff is obviously landing much after the launch of the module its tied too. I'm tremendously excited for PF2 and have multiple groups looking to have me run that module for them, since they know I'm a DF collector and they saw the advertised tie in. But if things are still being ssculpted for it, theres no way, its going to be released anytime soon... and the module comes out in a month.
paizo is notorious for "almost getting the timing right" - they do a really good job of making maps and minis to align with their adventures, but they very rarely have them ready for a simultaneous release - it is kind of remarkably inept for an operation of that scale

good news is that if you are patient and wait long enough you can have all the bits to run a really cool integrated campaign...

but yeah, missed opportunities left and right (what a bout a box set with maps, modules, minis?)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 pm

I'm just very, very sad that the DF PF stuff is obviously landing much after the launch of the module its tied too. I'm tremendously excited for PF2 and have multiple groups looking to have me run that module for them, since they know I'm a DF collector and they saw the advertised tie in. But if things are still being ssculpted for it, theres no way, its going to be released anytime soon... and the module comes out in a month.

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Oh yes, anything LSB is sculpting for is probably a must.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Especially since Lady Sabelle mentioned that she was hoping to finish her sculpts for pathfinder this week! (mentioned in ks comments)

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:44 pm

I too went 4E to PF to DCC to 5e. PF2 holds no interest to me. I'm old and it gets in the way of play too much. DCC has tons of flavor but players have too little control. 5E seems to work best for my group. Golarian can be fun but it is a bit messy.

Having said that, still interested in PF minis and DF collaboration.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:03 pm

kmj9907 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:00 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm
My players really like PF but I like 5E. I like them not having a million books with feats/races/classes to break the game, but I have a few who like the options, even though they aren't munchkins per-se.
Anyway, with Pathfinder, my first experience playing it was at a con; my wife and I didn't bring characters, so we were handed pregens. It was fun until it took the DM about 20 minutes to realize that none of our characters did enough damage to get through an enemy's damage reduction.
This sounds like an issue with Cons in general. If players are, more or less, randomly grouping up for an adventure, you sometimes run into notable holes. I remember one time at GenCon I was in a D&D game (believe it was 3.5, maybe 3.0) and our group encountered a few swarms. The swarms were not actually all that powerful . . . if you had a spellcaster with area of effect damage (basically what you need in order to damage a swarm). Unfortunately, we didn't have any characters like that in our group, so all we could do was run.

That said, nothing wrong at all with preferring one edition/system over another. I don't have a lot of experience with 5ed yet, but there are some things I'm not all that crazy about, but I still have had fun when playing and that's the important thing. As you mention though, just because these sets are made with a PF product in mind, doesn't mean they won't be equally good with D&D!

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:00 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm
My players really like PF but I like 5E. I like them not having a million books with feats/races/classes to break the game, but I have a few who like the options, even though they aren't munchkins per-se.
I don't play D&D Adventurer's League, but I'm really keen on their rule of PHB + 1. Your character can have elements from the PHB and no more than one other source. This way each source only has to be balanced against the PHB for character creation, officially.

Anyway, with Pathfinder, my first experience playing it was at a con; my wife and I didn't bring characters, so we were handed pregens. It was fun until it took the DM about 20 minutes to realize that none of our characters did enough damage to get through an enemy's damage reduction. The other time I've played, a friend ran a one-off with a lot of rpg first-timers. He did a great job, but all the characters were pregens and ultimately we used maybe a quarter of the full complexity of the pathfinder ruleset. I know a lot of that is from 3.0/3.5, but I stopped at 2e and picked it up with the playtest just before 5e... For me it's just more than needed for a good time at the table, and (for me) it starts to detract from the actual point of the game.

I'm glad its out there, and people love it. Paizo and Pathfinder do great things for the hobby. I admit I'm a massive 5e fanboy and won't likely ever purchase any Pathfinder books, but I've bought tons of Pathfinder minis from both Wizkids and Reaper, and I'll be happy to support this partnership with Dwarven Forge. Partnerships like this are very exciting and good for the hobby!

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Ok so it's pre-order not pre-sale. Thanks

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

nielsene wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm
Can you tell us when we might hear more about this? I kinda thing on 6.66 get here you'll be too swamped to talk about this at all, and I'd really like to know what to expect.... How much to budget, how much space to reserve in luggage for hauling it back from GenCon assuming pre-sale means onsite pickup, etc.
Pre-sale means you pay now and we ship when it arrives. Just like with Kickstarter but without the KS platform/fees. We are currently at 100% focus on KS 6.66 since launch is only 11 days away. The PF pre-sale launch at Gen Con will be available to everyone, but those at the Con will get to see prototypes in person. In July we'll start spilling beans and more details.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Return to “Pathfinder Sets”