Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Yeah, we're on the same page, Blunderbuss. Here's what I wrote in the Bravo! thread:
AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:04 pm
My only complaint is the overuse of terrain trays. I get it keeps the cost down, but the mountain floor one in my opinion should have just been floor tiles so newcomers could have more variety in future builds and it would look better. Especially as the terrain tray has fixed hazards on it with the acid pools. :(
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Blunderbuss » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:40 pm
I didn't order any of the terrain trays due to their limited use options this time.
I’m not really too big of a fan of terrain trays for solid ground coverage. I can appreciate their use for things like water, acid, lava, etc., especially if you build around them with ledges, banks, etc. to maintain some element of multidimensionality.
But for textured surfaces like forest floors and mountains, I’d rather stick with the traditional tiles.

Especially if the terrain tray has built-in features, like the acid pool in this particular run. It just looks a little too flat, and the versatility of the tray is lessened by having a permanent hazard printed on it. Seems like something that really should be built with standard mountain tiles (perhaps over an acid terrain tray), and it just looks a little out of place amidst the rest of the build. At least, to me.

So I went for Encouters 3 and 4 and just picked up some addons from the first half of the setup. I’m not yet sold on the “solid” terrain trays for my builds.

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:58 pm

I get the foam risers for 6.66 - it was to raise passages or edges of a build to the level of the light panels. For Plaguestone, I don't get its use over the stilts.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:52 pm

gwhansen wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 pm
I noticed Area 2 contains (16) 2x2 foamcore risers.
Shouldn't the foamcore risers match the size of the terrain trays?
Do people really want to lay out 16 small pieces of foam to raise terrain trays like that?
I love using the trays/magnets to fly into builds during game play but I'm not 'flying in' 16 small foam pieces. I suppose the magnetized small stilts from CD is the best answer
I've also been wondering about that. CD introduced the magnetic stilts for this purpose and they haven't been getting as much attention lately (6.66 & here) compared to these foam risers. 2x2 seems like a less than ideal size for this application as well.

gwhansen
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gwhansen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I noticed Area 2 contains (16) 2x2 foamcore risers.
Shouldn't the foamcore risers match the size of the terrain trays?
Do people really want to lay out 16 small pieces of foam to raise terrain trays like that?
I love using the trays/magnets to fly into builds during game play but I'm not 'flying in' 16 small foam pieces. I suppose the magnetized small stilts from CD is the best answer

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Yeah, we can always step down to a new terrain type when we finally get some banks in hand - that is a good point. Erinthor is a mountain after all - it should be above the forest.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:19 pm

scott102303 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:13 pm
How is everyone feeling about the terrain tray transition piece? I would prefer a DH to Erinthor sculpt transition but understand why they wouldn't want it here. Will the transition terrain tray be a piece that is actually used?
I'm on the fence about the transition TT. I could see myself using it as follows:

Dreadhollow sculpts -> DH banks -> DH TT -> Transition TT -> Cavern banks -> Erinthor sculpts

I don't think I'm going to use the Erinthor TT since I have plenty of Erinthor floors...

Regarding a DH->E sculpt, I think Caverns banks and/or DH banks mostly fills this need, right?

I wouldn't say no to another type of transition piece, especially since using banks requires an elevation shift while a floor transition sculpt could be at the same height, but I'd choose Swamps or Rivers over this particular transition at this point since I have options already to solve it.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:40 pm

I didn't order any of the terrain trays due to their limited use options this time.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:13 pm

How is everyone feeling about the terrain tray transition piece? I would prefer a DH to Erinthor sculpt transition but understand why they wouldn't want it here. Will the transition terrain tray be a piece that is actually used?

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:10 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:52 am
Is it me or do they really need a page with the sets on it - it seems silly that to see an encounter breakdown i need to reopen my pledge manager
Yes! they need a page with the sets on it. They are not going to bring the casual PPM miniature buyer in, if just to see the add-on set for the plants you need to sign on to a pledge manager.

Return to “Pathfinder Sets - Plaguestone”