Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Pathfinder 2nd Ed DF pieces

Post by nielsene » Sun May 26, 2019 2:58 am

Sad, no details at all at the Paizo Banquet, other than 'working with our friends at Dwarven Forge on a set for a full dungeon" which we already knew. I was really, really hoping they saw/show something more.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm
Yeah, I tried limiting the number of books and got pushback as for some people the fun is in finding odd combos (but not going bonko with them). I try to be a GM that is there for my players' fun more than my own, so if they as a group want something and I don't, I typically let them win and I go with it. We haven't had anyone really broken yet as the group is more character driven than focusing on stats.
This is definitely a very good approach too. The point is for everyone to have fun. I might create a world for instance wherein I don't really have a place for say tieflings, but if a player really wants to play one, then I put the onus on her to explain where her character came from. I think oddball combos are one thing, but making a character that breaks the game with said oddball combo is another. I do think its fair for a GM to veto a character combo if it is breaking the game. Fortunately though, I've always been pretty lucky in that regard as my players have either all gone pretty high powered (easy enough to work with) or all keep at about the same power level.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Yeah, I tried limiting the number of books and got pushback as for some people the fun is in finding odd combos (but not going bonko with them). I try to be a GM that is there for my players' fun more than my own, so if they as a group want something and I don't, I typically let them win and I go with it. We haven't had anyone really broken yet as the group is more character driven than focusing on stats.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon May 20, 2019 4:23 pm

In my current 3.5 game, I just preselected and limited which books applied and which classes and prestige classes were even available so that the character mix would be well suited to the campaign I was going to run. Wrote up a whole separate character creation document that outlined exactly what they could use. That has severely limited the abuse potential, which can become severe when all the source books are in play.

It is VERY unlikely our gaming group will ever move away from 3.5 at this point, just too much invested in materials and knowledge and we are all STEM geeks so the math and complexity is right up our collective ally. Tends to be more roll play than role play in our campaigns, but we do get some folks taking on their characters as more than a stat sheet at times, or at least we try.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon May 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Very true.

If you want to use one or two things out of a book but not the rest or just spells but not classes it is less easy than just leaving the book on the back shelf.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 am

dice4hire wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:48 am
I really agree with this. Kitchen sink games can get old quick, especially when some people like using/abusing the rules and others in the group do not.
Having a group that understands the importance of everyone having fun is pretty key. I ran a 4ed game in a game store and so, allowed everything from official WotC sources (wanted to help the store with sales, etc.). There were some oddball choices in there, but fortunately my group was pretty good about keeping things largely in check. Biggest issue was with the healer who got somewhat out of hand.

My current PF game though, I did limit the source books that could be used initially, mainly because I was still learning the system. We still have some odd combos, but ironically, for a very experienced group, they still tend to be a bit underpowered compared to most groups I've been in. They tend to stress character more than pure power.

Bottom line, just because a system has a ton of books doesn't mean you have to use them all.

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun May 19, 2019 3:30 am

I love the idea of a circular prison! Awesome idea! Of course price will make the difference with purchase as it always does - not cheap but looking at value to me and my game!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun May 19, 2019 2:48 am

I really agree with this. Kitchen sink games can get old quick, especially when some people like using/abusing the rules and others in the group do not.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun May 19, 2019 12:04 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm
My players really like PF but I like 5E. I like them not having a million books with feats/races/classes to break the game, but I have a few who like the options, even though they aren't munchkins per-se.
I wish RPG makers would stop doing books but do high quality binder pages with races, classes on two or four page spreads then as a DM/GM/gaming group you could take your worlds races and classes and put them in a game world players binder so you could have a book with only the things you wanted and not have to have the cherished but stupid race/class or the stupid new crap race shown. I have had my players play some really weird races/classes but that does not mean I wish to have all the race/class of the moment in a players book.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm

My players really like PF but I like 5E. I like them not having a million books with feats/races/classes to break the game, but I have a few who like the options, even though they aren't munchkins per-se.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Pathfinder Sets”