can't afford these anymore.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: can't afford these anymore.

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 am

And we are back to the same old value and cost comparisons over the years... looking back it is actually not as bad as it seems

First circle (painted) is 92 sq inches for $136 or roughly 1.48 per square inch - with 10 unique sculpts (that have a footprint)

KS2 2sets was 208 sq inches for $205 or 99¢ per square inch - with 3 sculpts

KS1 2sets was 256 sq inches for $170 or 66¢ per square inch - with 3 sculpts (that have a footprint)

Ok so prices have slightly more than doubled in 7 years - pieces are more diverse, sculpting has evolved, painting is more sophisticated and there are more blingy scatter pieces in every set. In a similar time frame pre painted D&D minis went from $10 for 8 to $15 for 4.

Of course both KS1 & KS2 had stretch goals that greatly expanded the footprint, but that ship has sailed and no amount of us jumping and waving will get it to come back.

While i am happy i got a ton of bread and butter when the getting was good, i am not too dismayed by the cost now. Once again the crew has done a great job of keeping packs small so we can all build inexpensively ($17 for an infernal door? - thank you don’t mind if i do!). The key is just to ignore the ever more obnoxious and ridiculous high end pledges and get what you want and need.

I’m happy for the folks who can spend thousands of dollars, they get all this stuff made so the rest of us can cherry pick what we want.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:04 am

I like the lava rivers if they get an add on pack and the soul cage gate but other than that lava stuff is too niche for me to spend this kind of money on. Looks great and really like the light floors but this might be a real small pledge for me this time. I miss the days like KS2 where I could get rooms of stuff for 400$.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 pm

The factory was not happy with us for the multiple paint schemes in Caverns Deep. They are trying to discourage us from doing it by charging a higher cost for the alternate schemes unless the order is really large. We want to give you what you're asking for, but it comes at a price.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:17 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:31 pm
DWChancellor wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 pm
One wonders where the whole tariff fun-times may be involved in import ratio material vs. labor.
I can’t comment on the painted costs for Gray sets at the moment, there’s a lot of factors which go into factory pricing and I’ve asked about it but don’t have answers to offer.

Did want to comment on the tariff question though - in the Risks & Challenges section of the Kickstarter page, it was clarified that there is no extra cost built in to prices for theoretical tariffs which don’t exist yet (and hopefully won’t happen.) If they happen, DF would have to swallow the cost on the Kickstarter shipments, and adjust pricing for future orders or campaigns.
I am less concerned for the cost than the strange configurations. Why are there less straight Magma river sections than curves.?
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:57 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:39 pm
With Oldent for Magma River and then some banks and some light panels.

We watched the Facebook video stream and the Youtube audio and it was passable and got in sync toward the end - bonus.

All sculpts are cast in translucent yellow and that is the unpainted option.
I am going to get some light panels for sure. I like the idea of linking them with a power source.
Interesting thought - would it be possible to power these light panels for an hour or two with a high-capacity power bank and an appropriate cable? You could even hide the power bank (battery) inside a portion of your build for a "wire free" build.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:31 pm

DWChancellor wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 pm
One wonders where the whole tariff fun-times may be involved in import ratio material vs. labor.
I can’t comment on the painted costs for Gray sets at the moment, there’s a lot of factors which go into factory pricing and I’ve asked about it but don’t have answers to offer.

Did want to comment on the tariff question though - in the Risks & Challenges section of the Kickstarter page, it was clarified that there is no extra cost built in to prices for theoretical tariffs which don’t exist yet (and hopefully won’t happen.) If they happen, DF would have to swallow the cost on the Kickstarter shipments, and adjust pricing for future orders or campaigns.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Standard usually is around 40% more.

Like banks in KS6: 25 -> 37.

Since Nate explained "this time painted will cost more, because it is harder and more work painting over translucent pieces with precision, it's not just drybrushing", I think the question "why cavern color also costs more, if that instead is the same old drill?" is a fair question.

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 pm

DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53 pm

marcoreds wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm
What I meant was: cavern color pieces will be cast in grey, so no need for any special tretament or priming, hence I don't see why painted costs so much more.
Double the cost is usually standard. But it does seem to be a big jump
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm

What I meant was: cavern color pieces will be cast in grey, so no need for any special tretament or priming, hence I don't see why painted costs so much more.

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”