can't afford these anymore.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: can't afford these anymore.

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Talistran wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:40 pm
It takes time to make an impact and the answer "too late to make a change" is too common. This is why we start asking for changes immediately... Because sometimes DF has a good idea they haven't shown us yet, and sometimes they need to be shown why their thinking was a little off. ;)
And to show where specific backer demand might lie. I know I would be interested in a lava river pack, that included mostly single path tiles (vs intersections and junctions). If you have a flow moving away from a source, I like to have a few feet of table covered at least, and perhaps more. If we are on a demonic plane I really do not need that many walls or edge pieces to bound the area, just "flat" tiles of cool looking terrain to navigate past.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:57 pm
geekjeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:37 pm
Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:32 pm

I want to be able to make moats and rivers. An add on with two curves, two straights,two diagonals and two Ts. Would be fine One straight throws the math off.

I will use the diagonals a lot after all rivers are not straight.

I am looking at lava falls, two dead ends, one transition, two Ts and six Straights for a project.
Notice no curves, I am not going to order twelve curves to get six straights. :!: :!: :!: :!:
Pairing the straights will satisfy me.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Wait and see how the addon composition works out.
I will, we have to lobby early before it is too late. ;)
So much truth in this statement!

It takes time to make an impact and the answer "too late to make a change" is too common. This is why we start asking for changes immediately... Because sometimes DF has a good idea they haven't shown us yet, and sometimes they need to be shown why their thinking was a little off. ;)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:46 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:22 am
kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 am
KS2 2sets was 208 sq inches for $205 or 99¢ per square inch - with 3 sculpts

KS1 2sets was 256 sq inches for $170 or 66¢ per square inch - with 3 sculpts (that have a footprint)

Ok so prices have slightly more than doubled in 7 years - pieces are more diverse, sculpting has evolved, painting is more sophisticated and there are more blingy scatter pieces in every set. In a similar time frame pre painted D&D minis went from $10 for 8 to $15 for 4.
Do you have the cost comparisons for the more recent KS sets? KS1, in particular, was a relatively simple design with an easy paint job. At first glance, KS 6.66 does not seem out of line with the fancier recent sets, like the crystal caverns, so I am wondering if there is still a price gap on those.
I just did the first two because they were the oft cited ridiculously cheap ones. (Easy enough to do the others - i suspect castle is the costliest but that is just perception). I was surprised that the base sets were relatively comparable. It seems like we are paying more for less but the 4” pieces give you a lot of area.

What is cool about lava is you don’t need atable full like you do with the 4 major environments
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

RogueJedi
Kobold
Kobold

Post by RogueJedi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 pm

I imagine for most people there's only really two reasons to grab the max tier: 1) More pieces for builds 2) Exclusive pieces. Given that, it seems like one wouldn't really need 2x of the light panel packs; is anyone really going to be able to put that many down at once? Even if it was 3x 7 panel packs, it'd be a couple hundred cheaper and nearly as many panels.

It seems like offering it with a single set of light panels and letting people add a second set if they need it would be more reasonable, given that there seems to be exclusive options to that tier.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:57 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:37 pm
Oldent wrote:

I want to be able to make moats and rivers. An add on with two curves, two straights,two diagonals and two Ts. Would be fine One straight throws the math off.

I am looking at lava falls, two dead ends, one transition, two Ts and six Straights for a project.
Notice no curves, I am not going to order twelve curves to get six straights. :!: :!: :!: :!:
Gotcha. Makes sense.

I will, we have to lobby early before it is too late. ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Oldent wrote:

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:32 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:56 am
Oldent wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:17 pm

I am less concerned for the cost than the strange configurations. Why are there less straight Magma river sections than curves.?
An all Straight Magma River pack may be something to consider if funding does well, you're not the only one who has mentioned it. Repetition is a problem, visually, without an alternate sculpt and that ups the cost quite a bit. You can possibly disguise some of that repetition with diagonal jogs, and maybe using the T intersection pieces and covering up the T leg with scatter terrain (which also uses up some of those pieces in the current assortment configs.)

What kinds of designs do you have in mind which require many straight segments? Lava Moats? Or something else? I'm sure you have something specific in mind.

I think it's a reasonable set to want, I don't know if it's in the cards.

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Rhizom wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am
Gargs454 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 am
Its gorgeous and I love that they keep pushing the capabilities of their products by adding things like the light pads. Those would work well with say the Eldritch Pools from KS5 for instance.
I am curious how you would do that: if you put the pools insert into the actual pool, that pool tile is opaque and won‘t shine through. And if you place the pool insert directly onto the light panel, it would be difficult to cover the surrounding space so that you do not see the light panel itself.

Oh! Or do you mean the little eldritch pool inserts in the trapdoor tiles? That could actually work!
The big Eldritch Pool also fits reasonably well on top of the KS4 Illuminated Floor circle. Something like that can work.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:05 pm

The cost vs utility question will always come into play whenever niche terrains are being offered. From an RPG gaming perspective, swamps are probably not that far removed from Hellscape terrain for how often games might venture into those realms.

I see these parts being useful in both normal land based locations near a volcano for example (favorite home of Red Dragons and like) or in certain underground locations where access to lava might occur, and then finally if the characters end up traveling to certain demonic homelands. So we have at least 3 potential gaming setting so that i why I will be getting at least a middling level of Hellscape. Definitely not the x2, that is tooo much.

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am

Gargs454 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 am
Its gorgeous and I love that they keep pushing the capabilities of their products by adding things like the light pads. Those would work well with say the Eldritch Pools from KS5 for instance.
I am curious how you would do that: if you put the pools insert into the actual pool, that pool tile is opaque and won‘t shine through. And if you place the pool insert directly onto the light panel, it would be difficult to cover the surrounding space so that you do not see the light panel itself.

Oh! Or do you mean the little eldritch pool inserts in the trapdoor tiles? That could actually work!
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”