Light Panel Size (s)

John D
Orc
Orc

Re: Light Panel Size (s)

Post by John D » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:47 am

William wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:27 am
That's much more than what I was wondering about. I was thinking more like a small 4"x4" or 4"x8" panel under (1 or 2) 4"x4" tiles to make rivers without the 2" on either side glowing. I was asking more for Oldent's type of "river", than anything I'm getting. Which ought to be a fairly small pledge.
I think the foamcore risers are supposed to block the light for 'unlit' sections. I think that's why they're 2x2s and 4x4s.
But, might be misreading all that, it's all just one swirling Lavapool at the moment.

Oh,..think there will be a Lavapool?

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:47 am

William wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:27 am
That's much more than what I was wondering about. I was thinking more like a small 4"x4" or 4"x8" panel under (1 or 2) 4"x4" tiles to make rivers without the 2" on either side glowing. I was asking more for Oldent's type of "river", than anything I'm getting. Which ought to be a fairly small pledge.
You can always just mask off part of a 8x8 panel to make a 4x8, or 4x4, or whatever size illuminated area. Making smaller panels wouldn't be that much cheaper, since a big part of the price is in the power supply, connectors, and tooling.

Other sizes are a future possibility if they prove super popular, but for now they've picked a size and are sticking to it. Many of the other piece designs and layouts work around the 8x8 size.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 am

kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 am
Didn’t biowizard build a whole lightbox for all his pieces - color addressable etc???

Seems like it would be easier to mask with thin black material than raise the whole surroundings
If I remember right, he used light strips inside of a box topped with a clear plastic topper.

EDIT: Found it! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6033
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am
This may be taboo to ask, but there are a lot of slim LED lighting options out there... Does anyone know of a backlight alternative that is a cheaper option? I doubt we'd find one that could daisy-chain together but it's worth asking...

There's stuff like this but it's meant to be ceiling mounted... https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... aOSjxD&s=p
I don't think it's taboo, there are other products on the market but none of them are quite the same. The new Lightboxes are meant to be an elegant solution perfectly sized for DF tiles, without dealing with excess cords and working around big black bezels. They're a no hassle option for people who don't want to experiment, hack, or mod other off the shelf options. And they're priced pretty competitively per surface area.

Some DF fans have shared lightbox builds on these forums, and they're awesome. Some people embed flatscreen TVs in their gaming tables, and those can combine with 3d tile builds in interesting ways. They might backlight Hellscape tiles nicely too. There are also some very high tech, color programmable options on the market. They're significantly more expensive and fiddly, for people who enjoy expensive fiddly things.

Whatever you go with, can't wait to see the builds!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 am

Didn’t biowizard build a whole lightbox for all his pieces - color addressable etc???

Seems like it would be easier to mask with thin black material than raise the whole surroundings
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:27 am

Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am

This may be taboo to ask, but there are a lot of slim LED lighting options out there... Does anyone know of a backlight alternative that is a cheaper option? I doubt we'd find one that could daisy-chain together but it's worth asking...

There's stuff like this but it's meant to be ceiling mounted... https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... aOSjxD&s=p
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:38 am

I'm currently leaning towards getting some lava tiles without the lighting system since a) it's additional setup work, storage, etc. and b) it's a "new" technology (for DF) that I'm not 100% sold on (for my purposes that is).

I have some minor regret over purchasing the Fog Monster and unless the cost differential on the light system is a 50% increase or DF tells them they won't be available from the store later, I think I'll likely wait and see how it turns out. Preferably would like to see it in person before committing since it doesn't feel like something that's easy to appreciate (pros and cons) via video or picture.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:51 pm

That's too bad.
I haven't watched that yet, I'll try later tonight. Thanks. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 pm

During the live event I am 99% sure I heard someone say, "No" to other sizes besides 8"x8". Or maybe someone else in the comments? But an official DF person.

Today is a blur for a lot of other reasons besides DF.

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”