Minotaur

Re: Light Panel Size (s)

Post by GardenDM » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

My phone is not up to making this type of photo

Lemax water mat as filter.

8"X8" will be a very cool size. More filters please :!:
Huh! I was really on the fence about the light panels, but you're doing a great job selling it! All kinds of possible pools, enchanted terrain, glowing fae groves, etc., etc. that you could do with the right variety of filters...

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

My phone is not up to making this type of photo

Lemax water mat as filter.

8"X8" will be a very cool size. More filters please :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 am
kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 am
Didn’t biowizard build a whole lightbox for all his pieces - color addressable etc???

Seems like it would be easier to mask with thin black material than raise the whole surroundings
If I remember right, he used light strips inside of a box topped with a clear plastic topper.

EDIT: Found it! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6033
Thanks Zach - i am on vacation and search sucks on tablet/phone (or i am just old and technically inept)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GriffinMace
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GriffinMace » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 pm

William wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 pm
Seeing only one Light Panel size of 8"x8", at this point.
I can see a want/need for narrower panels for rivers only 4" wide.

:?: ... Will there be any smaller sized Light Panels, like 4"x8" or even 4"x4"? ... :?:

Thanks. :)
We're currently just planning on the 8X8. For smaller sets, what we do to mask light (if needed) is put small bits of gator foam, but any hard construction paper will do to prevent light bleeding. We are seeing what we can do to make it as functional and easy for you guys as possible.
As this progresses, I'll keep you posted!

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:52 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am
Yah for me the time is money part of the equation is huge. Still in flux over what level of all this lava to get. I can most definitely see using some lava in a few settings, but how often will I need a LOT of hot stuff for a setting. Looking to make some sort of rational decision here, and it does not help when the wife keeps saying how cool some of the larger Hellscape builds look (she is one of the players in our RPG gaming group.)
I am going to try to get enough lava river with add on sets. I will then concentrate on the LEDs . I already have a lot of caverns coming. I only need a few Orange walls.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am

Yah for me the time is money part of the equation is huge. Still in flux over what level of all this lava to get. I can most definitely see using some lava in a few settings, but how often will I need a LOT of hot stuff for a setting. Looking to make some sort of rational decision here, and it does not help when the wife keeps saying how cool some of the larger Hellscape builds look (she is one of the players in our RPG gaming group.)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

I know by now you know, I can or already have built something. I am going to say why I think the light panels are going to be better.
First the size. The 8"X8" is perfect for some awesome builds. How about a reflecting pool with a DOD temple built around it!
Next the panels can be linked. If you need a two foot lava river you need three.
The Big Reason. I do not think a lot of you have the skill or the desire for DIY. Time is money. By the time you have worked it out purchased the tools and materials you will have spent a great deal more, Penny wise and pound foolish.

William pointed out the 4"X4" light box DF all ready makes. How about offering the box in a pack with out the accessories. Three would be close to the cost of a light panel.

It will not be perfect but it will be useful.

I hope more filters will be available. If not I have some ideas about making some ;)

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am

Sorry if this has been asked, but are the light panels “Magnetic” at all? Will pieces stick? Sorry if this a dumb question, but the Dwarves make many magical things....🤗

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am

dmalcolm wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:15 am
One question/concern about the transformers for the panels: annoyingly, different countries have different standards for electrical voltages, frequencies, and the pin configuration for power outlets. Hopefully DF has considered this complication. (I moved from the UK to the US many years ago: from 240V to 110V and different shaped plugs etc).
We are definitely aware of the varying power needs of international backers.

Keeping in mind that they are prototypes - the transformer on the current prototypes will handle inputs from 110v to 240v, but only have a US style plug.

They’re also currently a “wall wart” power brick. I’d love for it to be an inline power brick where you can change out the short wall plug section to whatever pin configuration your location requires. We’ll have to see what the factory’s options are though.
Last edited by geekjeff on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:55 am

Hopefully they can tell us the DC output and plug specs prior to KS end. One could then look for a compatible dual 110/220 substitute.

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”