Light Panel Size (s)

John D
Orc
Orc

Re: Light Panel Size (s)

Post by John D » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm
I would think one would want to have more than one power supply for nine tiles.... more often than not I would expect to need one here... two or three there...
One power supply will not be sufficient if the places one needs illumination are not adjacent to each other.
Right. I was thinking at least 2 power supply units so that I could light up opposite sides of the build. Using only one would force you to link all the panels along a single pathway.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm

I would think one would want to have more than one power supply for nine tiles.... more often than not I would expect to need one here... two or three there...
One power supply will not be sufficient if the places one needs illumination are not adjacent to each other.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:46 pm
Pulsing and flickering options for the light panels would be very nice.

Regarding obsolescence, DF could design them to have a detachable/plug-in control board that could be upgraded in the future? Unless we're talking color, most likely the bluetooth capability, flickering, dimming, and pulsing options could utilize the same LEDs.
Just have one of your kids pull out the plug and plug it back in as fast as they can... walaaaaah! Instant flickering ;)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Pulsing and flickering options for the light panels would be very nice.

Regarding obsolescence, DF could design them to have a detachable/plug-in control board that could be upgraded in the future? Unless we're talking color, most likely the bluetooth capability, flickering, dimming, and pulsing options could utilize the same LEDs.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:09 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am
This may be taboo to ask, but there are a lot of slim LED lighting options out there... Does anyone know of a backlight alternative that is a cheaper option? I doubt we'd find one that could daisy-chain together but it's worth asking...

There's stuff like this but it's meant to be ceiling mounted... https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... aOSjxD&s=p
I don't think it's taboo, there are other products on the market but none of them are quite the same. The new Lightboxes are meant to be an elegant solution perfectly sized for DF tiles, without dealing with excess cords and working around big black bezels. They're a no hassle option for people who don't want to experiment, hack, or mod other off the shelf options. And they're priced pretty competitively per surface area.

Some DF fans have shared lightbox builds on these forums, and they're awesome. Some people embed flatscreen TVs in their gaming tables, and those can combine with 3d tile builds in interesting ways. They might backlight Hellscape tiles nicely too. There are also some very high tech, color programmable options on the market. They're significantly more expensive and fiddly, for people who enjoy expensive fiddly things.

Whatever you go with, can't wait to see the builds!
geekjeff, can you tell us, are there any hot spots on the DF light panels, and do the translucent dwarvenite tiles diffuse the light well enough that the hot spots don't really matter? I am debating between the DF panels or the nanoleaf type of programmable option, and those definitely have a hot spot (and also are only 5"x5"), so am wondering how the DF panels compare and how the tiles might stand up to that.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm

I am thinking 7 should be more than enough. If we need to make a larger table than that "glow with hotness" probably should just borrow some heat lamps and aim them at the players to make the sweat!! for a touch of realism.. :D :twisted: :twisted:

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm

I'm a bit torn on them still (in spite of the AHBL pledge). Mainly because I feel they are just a touch under-developed. The sizing/daisy-chainability makes complete sense and feels well thought out. The only white aspect feels a bit limiting, but maybe acceptable with enough filters eventually. (Though I wouldn't expect more in this KS, we might get a few in wildlands -- I can picture some haunted swamp type things fitting that KS and needing backlight. Glowing pools and/or water or non-hellish, but still eldritch are all other things I'd like to be able to do, and don't quite see them as likely in wildlands, so a bit unsure when they'll picture in.

But the main limitation I'm a bit worried about is any form of pulsating/flicker effects. Seems like it would be a good fit and a likely upgrade if they do well. So getting two full sets in AHBL feels excessive in terms of possibly obsolescence. Now maybe that's possible via an upgraded transformer in the future with some blutooth/wifi control possibilities, w/o needing to change the light panels. But I would doubt it, unless advertised as a planned extension point.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Twelve(12) 8x8 light panels would grant almost 6 sq. feet of coverage (really a bit over 5 1/2).
That's half of my largest board. Can't really see using more than that, so we'll call that the ceiling.
Now, I'm deciding if Seven(7) is going to be enough ...it might.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm
GardenDM wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm
Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

8"X8" will be a very cool size. More filters please :!:
Huh! I was really on the fence about the light panels, but you're doing a great job selling it! All kinds of possible pools, enchanted terrain, glowing fae groves, etc., etc. that you could do with the right variety of filters...
Think about the acid encounter on a light panel :!:

More filters please :!: :!: :!:
I hope DF sends you a commission at this rate, my fence sitting on the light panels is melting away to getting some.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm
Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

8"X8" will be a very cool size. More filters please :!:
Huh! I was really on the fence about the light panels, but you're doing a great job selling it! All kinds of possible pools, enchanted terrain, glowing fae groves, etc., etc. that you could do with the right variety of filters...
Think about the acid encounter on a light panel :!:

More filters please :!: :!: :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”