Am I the only person that wants a Regular paint scheme?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Am I the only person that wants a Regular paint scheme?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 am

ilionblaze wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10 am
The way I look at it, the caverns are discoloured by the magma, so it makes sense that they don't match the regular colours.
This is what we think.

We find it strange to want lava sculpts in regular cavern (CD).

So thinking about this …..

This feels like it is a reality v aesthetics debate and as we are making it up with our table top terrain, you can go against reality and go for more aesthetic looks which allows for much more seamless reuse; such as using pieces that match CD caverns.

In reality a water cavern is going to look different to a dry cavern, both are going to look different to a magma cavern.
Many backers/players don’t care about this, which is fair, they want pieces that match previous purchases and so look seamless and can be retasked, CD cavern sculpts can be used in Lava builds with no noticeable change.

This makes sense from a cost and playability point of view. Few players are going to turn around and say well this cavern should be blacker with all this lava and ash.

We get that DF would however make the environment as realistic or as standout as possible, some want to see that they are entering a lava cavern rather then a regular one.

Apologies for the rambling, we kinda wanted to see why backers want CD caverns to look the same as Lava caverns, makes some sense now 

We don’t have CD caverns and have no intention to get any lava caverns just some sculpts we can use overground.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:53 am

LordDarkhan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm
I love the new pieces--lava rivers, magma pools, hellgate, and all--but they won't fit with any of my existing pieces.

I'd much rather have a paint scheme that matches KS2 and Caverns Deep. I'm holding out on buying this set until that happens. I hate the idea of the hellscape pieces sticking out so much.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Yeah, I'm leaning towards your way of thinking. I may just buy lava streams and few odd walls- there might be a good story in there somewhere... the backdrop to a previous battle where the fireball detonated (ha ha) or something like that. I really want to see picture of the lava streams next to normal KS6 cavern pieces.

ilionblaze
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ilionblaze » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10 am

The way I look at it, the caverns are discoloured by the magma, so it makes sense that they don't match the regular colours.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Doleo_DF wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Did anyone catch if the KS 6.66 pieces will have magnets in the bases? I want to assume so, but the KS 6.66 theme does not really have any magnetic bases since there are only light bases and overlays.
I believe I heard, or read, that they are... however the light panels might be problematic.
I expect the magnets will be hidden under the opaque painted parts.
In the livestream it was mentioned they were expecting some light panel prototypes from the factory any day now... we should hear more then.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:07 pm

I like the idea of lava pieces that look a little different, but I also admit that I love the alternate pieces we've seen showing regular cavern paint. I'd love it if the magma river got a regular river paint treatment -- not even sure it would work, since the sculpt isn't quite right, but I'd be curious to see it. There's a waterfall piece!

As for the rest (i.e. basic walls and trifecta pieces with none or minimal lava pools) for the most part they look so similar (or are the same sculpts) as what we've already seen, so I'm not seeing an issue.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 pm

I think this scheme integrates with existing sets, just not ks2 and ks6. I don't think it makes much sense to mix igneous lava with limestone caves, but I can imagine a volcanic eruption threatening a town (ks3), a mine or dwarven structure becoming flooded with lava when the mountain they were mining turns out to be a volcano (oops), or a lava channel running between erjnthor mountains (ks4).

I went standard paint in ks6 for versatility, but I would not buy it here even if it were offered. (maybe some of the stuff, but certainly nothing with lava on it)

not trying to say this thread is wrong, but maybe look at this in the context of all of DF''s offerings and not just the last KS. though they share many sculpts, they are really quite different.

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm

i'm on the fence about KS 6.66 and upset that i can't comment until i pledge. it would nice if pledging thousands of dollars on the last six KSers would grandfather me in.

i've gone unpainted for the last 6 KS since with the dungeon grey it only took a quick dry brushing and the pieces were mostly done. now with this translucent stuff it will be too hard to make them match my current paint job and if i get painted they will also not match my current sets.

i'm hoping they offer some in the old grey

Doleo_DF
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Doleo_DF » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Did anyone catch if the KS 6.66 pieces will have magnets in the bases? I want to assume so, but the KS 6.66 theme does not really have any magnetic bases since there are only light bases and overlays.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm

We asked for smaller KSers, and I think it sounds like their factory is also asking for simpler projects. This is an experiment, I hope it works. I think it has a few things working against it, light trays as a new tech/cost driver, different color/transparent casting material, niche environment for play. However balancing that we have what feels like a good scope, mix of re-used and new sculpts. Good tie in to the forthcoming 5e campaign.

I probably would have preferred the first mini-KS to be KS3/4/5 linked rather than 6. We'd all have had more experience with the basic building blocks and able to tell how stuff fits in/etc. We haven't played with Trifecta pieces yet, we have built the new more organic caverns, its harder to tell how many pieces you'll need to feel like its the right assortment. Imagine a third type of city construction (say full timber, either log cabin, plank siding, or palisade like and a thatched roof) Would be a fairly small KS, but well understood, integrated well with existing KS3 and is flows nicely in to KS7 for standalone hut type things. But it sounds like a fair bit of this KS was already in progress for Caverns Deep and got cut as DH fever took over, or something, so it was fresh on their minds and they definitely had awesome ideas.

For 'regular paint' hellscape I'd wait until addon backs are revealed, and generally go with floors, rivers, and banks. Like I was suggesting in the KS comments, make lava flows on top of a regular cavernbuild (w/ or w/o the light tray). The recent/cooling rock will be darker than the existing cavern that that should still be natural. You can probably avoid all the reskin walls, in that case.

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 pm

The only things I am definitely getting from this KS so far are the alternate paint pieces.

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”