LED Light Panels Discussion

Ken Mattson
Goblin
Goblin

Re: LED Light Panels Discussion

Post by Ken Mattson » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm loving these panels, but I think its the price which will keep them from selling well, not all the weird disco options some of ya'll want. I am going to buy one to test the waters, but it would be nice if we had the option in the PM/Retail to buy single ones without the controller thingy. If I like the one I get, not sure why I would need an extra controller if I wanted to pick up 2 or 3 more at retail.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:20 pm

@Cody N -

not sure what your point is.

You want certain things. Others want other things, Everyone has their own best solution. More power to you in getting your perfect system, whatever that is!

In response to Talistran's post, All I was saying is that some of us are happy with the DF light panels being offered, as zenako and others have mentioned.

Don't worry, be happy! The glass is half full!
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:33 pm

zenmaster wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 pm

DF's offering is no muss, no fuss for DF KS buyers, and that is what some people (like me) want.
And there will always be a base model...but for a couple bucks more VS filters and hastle... there wont be much reason not to buy the new model.

Attachments
HePTsXP.png
HePTsXP.png (349.52 KiB) Viewed 1579 times

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:31 pm

I am fine with the DF option for many of the reasons mentioned already. Ready-made option, sized to support DF tiles, supports daisy chaining, and we can always use color filters on the light panels if we need to. My phone has no apps, (and still flips open) so smartphone features are useless to me.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 pm

@CodyN Sure -

I get what you are saying, but I am never going to need to change light color on the fly. I don't need all the bells and whistles.

DF's offering is no muss, no fuss for DF KS buyers, and that is what some people (like me) want.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Cody N wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm
zenmaster wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm
Talistran wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Lights, freaking awesome! I'm totally in.

1) I don't need multi-color LEDs--

-- isn't that what the filters are for?
-- What natural (or even imagined magical) terrain rotates colors? My adventurers are in menacing terrain, not a Spencer's Gifts store
Multi colour lights are the way to go. Filters are from a time when we didnt have the tech to change colours at the touch of button. The tech is cheaper than buying a bunch of filters, and it is more convenient than trying to swap colours in the middle of an encounter. The options multi colour light panels opens up are far superior to filters. |

What natural/magical terrain rotates colours? .... its fantasy magic, so literally anything you can imagine.... spells could end or change a magical effect. Slow pulsing colour change for translucent fungus, gems, like it does in almost every underdark video game we have seen. Colour change to show progress towards a goal /impending doom. Lots of cool reasons man.

But even if you dont plan on doing any of that, like I said above...cheaper, more convenient, the tech exist, there is no real reason not to.
I think the only reason that DF isnt starting with that, is they are testing thing out, and they know more money can be made with the "NEW MODEL!! DOOM DOOM BUY BUY"

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm

zenmaster wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm
Talistran wrote:

-- What natural (or even imagined magical) terrain rotates colors? My adventurers are in menacing terrain, not a Spencer's Gifts store
Multi colour lights are the way to go. Filters are from a time when we didnt have the tech to change colours at the touch of button. The tech is cheaper than buying a bunch of filters, and it is more convenient than trying to swap colours in the middle of an encounter. The options multi colour light panels opens up are far superior to filters. |

What natural/magical terrain rotates colours? .... its fantasy magic.... spells could end or change a magical effect. Slow pulsing colour change for translucent fungus, gems, like it does in almost every underdark video game we have seen. Colour change to show progress towards a goal /impending doom. Lots of cool reasons man.

But even if you dont plan on doing any of that, like I said above...cheaper, more convenient, the tech exist, there is no real reason not to.
I think the only reason that DF isnt starting with that, is they are testing thing out, and they know more money can be made with the "NEW MODEL!! DOOM DOOM BUY BUY"

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Talistran wrote:

I am with you though, in that I am not planning on buying the light panels. I am 100% confident that DF is going to produce something better than makes these obsolete, so why spend money now. There is a risk that too many people think this way, so DF decides to not make anymore in the future as the basic ones sell so poorly.

I like the daisy chaining and love that they are providing texture on the backside (based off of KS 6.66, it should be cavern texture... but we want at least dungeon options too); but is it painted texture? Painted lava or KS 6 cavern? If it isn't painted, it is worthless to me. But on the opposite side, the LEDs are missing color, which is a HUGE marketing problem because it takes about 1/10th of a second for any DF fan to think, "Wow, think of all the endless possibilites for terrain with green, red, blue, etc." So much so that the very next thought is, "By Wildlands, they're going to need color for swamps, magic pools of water, acid pits, etc" which leads to, "If I buy now, I'm just going to have to buy again after they produce color LEDs" which ends with, "I'll have a bunch of white LEDs sitting around doing nothing."

Honestly, this is something that DF should have thought about; not sure if they have and decided it was worth doing anyways, or they didn't think this far in advance, or maybe they have a different thought process on this than their customers (it happens occasionally).

I haven't seen anyone say, "Lights, freaking awesome! I'm totally in." Most of the comments I have read have been, "It is missing this feature or that feature. I'll wait until DF catches up to the bare minimums of what is already available." I personally think they're behind the eight-ball JUST enough that they aren't going to sell well.

2) I don't have the time for DIY.
3) The panels DF is offering have some advantages (daisychaining, texture, designed for DF piece use)
4) DF is offering them as part of a large purchase I am making anyway, with no hassle of researching compatibilities, multiple suppliers, etc.
5) I will have these in hand so my young kids can use them with the cool new terrain made to go with them as soon as possible
6) We only need a five pack at our place, so I don't have to go in on a crazy number of these.

I am very excited DF is offering these.
Not all customers are down on these light panels or share your opinions/assumptions! Saying that DF maybe has a different thought process than "their customers" assumes that you know what all their customer base wants :-)

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Agreed Talistran. An app does make sense ; I have no idea what making the lights bluetooth would do to the price. Probably not enough that I would care.

I hear you on the whole "DF selling models that are clearly going to be obsolete soon". I think they know exactly what they are doing, and that they can profit on it anyway, because we get caught up in the KS hype / frenzy, throwing money at it, and for some reason screaming "Doom to your wallet" as a rally cry.
It is frickin sick, but that is the base of capitalist consumerism. And in the end, they are business trying to keep it profitable for as long as possible, so I get it.

And I know some of it is just testing the product waters, but if that is the case, and they are testing with our money instead of getting business loans.... than bring back the KS freebies!!

I keep hearing that "you are going to be able to sell your pieces for profit", and that was the case when KS1 /2 gave out a bunch of free stuff. But How can that happen now when DF is going to keep selling the set themselves for basically the same price we pay in the KS, and making new sets that make the old ones obsolete? What are the old rivers/lava/ice /bow tie worth now that new stuff it out?
At least the KS exclusives will hold $$...but...ew...resin. haha

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Cody N wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:24 pm
From what I saw in the video, the back side of the light will also be a dungeon floor tiles. Hope they make it so we can choose what type of floor; DUngeon, Cavern, forest.

DF lights are great for all of the above reasons, but I am still not buying them now. I fully expect better models will come out. Here are the upgrades I am waiting for, and believe they are fully possible.

1- Remote to control lights
2- Colour change button to scroll through red blue green yellow purple....black light?!?!?!?! maybe not.
3 - remote to select which light you turn on/off. Id like to be able to make a light grid out of 6 to 9 panels or so, and be able to select which ones turn on and off by remote. Tricky but possible.
4 - flicker, strobe,pulse options that I can control the speed of.

Thats about it for now. DF, as soon as you make that available you can shut up and take my money.
I'd rather an App, than a remote. I think that #1 of your wish list is fine with a remote, but ##2, #3, and #4 are FAR easier and better with an App.

I am with you though, in that I am not planning on buying the light panels. I am 100% confident that DF is going to produce something better than makes these obsolete, so why spend money now. There is a risk that too many people think this way, so DF decides to not make anymore in the future as the basic ones sell so poorly.

I like the daisy chaining and love that they are providing texture on the backside (based off of KS 6.66, it should be cavern texture... but we want at least dungeon options too); but is it painted texture? Painted lava or KS 6 cavern? If it isn't painted, it is worthless to me. But on the opposite side, the LEDs are missing color, which is a HUGE marketing problem because it takes about 1/10th of a second for any DF fan to think, "Wow, think of all the endless possibilites for terrain with green, red, blue, etc." So much so that the very next thought is, "By Wildlands, they're going to need color for swamps, magic pools of water, acid pits, etc" which leads to, "If I buy now, I'm just going to have to buy again after they produce color LEDs" which ends with, "I'll have a bunch of white LEDs sitting around doing nothing."

Honestly, this is something that DF should have thought about; not sure if they have and decided it was worth doing anyways, or they didn't think this far in advance, or maybe they have a different thought process on this than their customers (it happens occasionally).

I haven't seen anyone say, "Lights, freaking awesome! I'm totally in." Most of the comments I have read have been, "It is missing this feature or that feature. I'll wait until DF catches up to the bare minimums of what is already available." I personally think they're behind the eight-ball JUST enough that they aren't going to sell well.

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”