Re: GenCon Hellscape impressions... wallet doom

Post by subtalon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:05 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43 pm
subtalon wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:15 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:09 pm
Is the volcano hollow? It seems to have a hole at the top.
It is not. I checked. But the Howling Devil Statue is hollow and it had a hole in its head, or at least the prototype did.

Real Game FX, that make the fog monster, also just made a steam pod for a volcano that puffs smoke. https://www.realgamefx.com/pages/kickstarter-2 I definitely picked some up.
If it's not hollow, why does it have a hole in the master for the mold? (From the recent KS update) :?: :?: :?:

570360de3607be87a2f926d471ac2afd_original.jpg
Great question! The protoype did not a have a hole in it.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43 pm

subtalon wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:15 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:09 pm
Is the volcano hollow? It seems to have a hole at the top.
It is not. I checked. But the Howling Devil Statue is hollow and it had a hole in its head, or at least the prototype did.

Real Game FX, that make the fog monster, also just made a steam pod for a volcano that puffs smoke. https://www.realgamefx.com/pages/kickstarter-2 I definitely picked some up.
If it's not hollow, why does it have a hole in the master for the mold? (From the recent KS update) :?: :?: :?:
570360de3607be87a2f926d471ac2afd_original.jpg
570360de3607be87a2f926d471ac2afd_original.jpg (57.2 KiB) Viewed 456 times
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:33 pm

I am certainly looking forward to both!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Fab video and pictures subtalon - thanks :)
Great to get a backer point of view having seen the sculpts in the flesh (or in the prototype resin)

Our hot take - Dreadhollow looks amazing :)

Hellscape looking good too
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:19 am

I think the chance that Hellscape production pieces being very different than prototype pieces is high (but not unobtainable). Instead of translucent resin, the translucent material is dwarvenite, which will have different properties. The paint will need to be done well enough that no light shines through where it's not supposed to, and the fit will need to be pretty tight.

That being said, I was worried about Dreadhollow too, due to the complex paint scheme. It's definitely not as good as Erin's prototype paint job, and there are places where they had to cut the sculpt in order to mold it (and then glued it back on) so there are lines, but all in all they look really good! I consider myself satisfied with what I've seen with Dreadhollow.

I just wish we had the CD Crystal Caverns in hand so we could see how good the factory is at covering large pieces with the proper coverage of opaque paint like they will need to in Hellscape. I'm not TOO worried, as we've had LED accessories for a few years with the same type of paint job (obelisk, torches, etc.) but it would be nice to have something large to test. I really wish the first shipment of CD had the Crystal Caverns so hopefully someone could get them in hand before the Hellscape pledge manager opens and closes, but it definitely looks like that won't happen. Maybe we can get DF to do a quick video or something of the factory painted Crystal Caverns on a light tray. They did Crystal Cavern prototypes on a light tray in a video during Hellscape, if I remember correctly.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

subtalon
Orc
Orc

Post by subtalon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 am

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 am
ilionblaze wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm
Tyrant wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 pm
On topic, the Hellscape pieces looked fantastic in person. I didn't plan on going for the light panels but after seeing them in person I might eventually pick them up.
That's the kind of thing one likes to hear!
Not to burst the bubble, but the prototype pieces always look better than the production mass painted sets. Sometimes only by a little, sometimes by a lot. Time will tell.
They had several pieces of caverns from the factory available to share. Including, I believe, Dread Hollow in the photos I took. I know they worked back and forth on several of the paint schemes and it took some QC to get to where they wanted it. The quality of the factory pieces has been going up, IMHO, and if the quality of Caverns is any indication it is definitely better than anything I would have done at volume.

ilionblaze
Orc
Orc

Post by ilionblaze » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 am

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 am
Not to burst the bubble, but the prototype pieces always look better than the production mass painted sets. Sometimes only by a little, sometimes by a lot. Time will tell.
:roll:

It's still good to hear such a positive review, especially where the light panels are concerned. It's not like their paint job will change. And all right, I suppose it's possible the factory could ruin the paint job such that the light panels are much less effective, except that I trust the DF team enough to properly test & vett that out. On the other hand if people were coming back saying things like, "The light panels are interesting but I didn't find the effect really warranted the cost," or worse, well we'd be having quite different conversations wouldn't we?

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 am

ilionblaze wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm
Tyrant wrote:
On topic, the Hellscape pieces looked fantastic in person. I didn't plan on going for the light panels but after seeing them in person I might eventually pick them up.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:49 am

Tyrant wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:01 am
I love the first picture in you link...Two "do not touch" signs with a woman's hand touching the build. :D

I assume that was a DF employee, so she didn't lose a hand.
I know I went by their booth on Thursday and I saw numerous people grabbing and touching things and completely ignoring the signs. Worst of all, they had a small area set up that said something to the effect of "Play with these pieces". If they had that in the past I must not have noticed it. It's a really good idea to have that for people to get "hands on". No one was tearing anything apart obviously, but it was somewhat surprising (to me at least) to see that going on. It's entirely possible that they asked permission before I got there. I've asked in the past and they told me to go ahead or they grabbed a specific piece I was asking about and handed it to me to check out.
It's because people are dicks. Not as bad as cats, but pretty bad. :lol:

ilionblaze
Orc
Orc

Post by ilionblaze » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm

Tyrant wrote:

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”