Official PM video

period3
Orc
Orc
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:34 am

Re: Official PM video

Post by period3 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Talistran wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 pm
What I think they should do instead is make a pack of minis that go with all the encounters. It could include all the miniatures from each encounter. They could charge $100 for it, or whatever they think is sufficient based off of how many they think they'd sell. They would sell a lot more of those packs than they do full encounters, so they'd be casting a lot more, so the mold costs would be reduced. Additionally, the freaking encounters would be cheaper. People could get the "chase minis" without having to buy the full encounters.
It makes it easier for those who want multiples of the minis. For example, I'd like to get a bunch of those spitting lizard men from KS6, but I think to do it now I'd have to buy several adventure packs. Anybody who wants a horde of zombie lizardmen is going to end up with a whole lot of stairway to violence tops (ice cave adventure pack).

It's fine to include miniatures in the pictures of the encounters and just put a caption that says the picture includes miniatures from mini-pack A or whatever.

User avatar
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 5217
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Nagoya Japan

Re: Official PM video

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I would heartily support an overall pack of minis for each KS. CD did have the villain pack, which I did buy. It did not have anywhere near all the minis though.

Overall I think I am getting over half of the CD minis through the villain pack and various adventure packs. Some of those packs i did get mostly for the minis, so i am willing to pay for them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Official PM video

Post by Talistran » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Law wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:18 am
I’m passing on the dog, as he’s just not worth it at that price to me personally. It’s a cool figure and the LED feature is awesome. But I just can’t have everything.

I do think DF making minis is a sensible choice for them. Sure, lots of other companies make minis. But that’s because minis are bar none the most profitable thing you can make in this hobby. There really a ton of KS campaigns around them because the audience is insatiable. Not everyone buys terrain.

If DF absolutely couldn’t compete, it’d be one thing. But they can. Their product looks excellent and is priced competitively. Is it the best thing out there? No. But it is strong.

The real issue is whether it’s worth it - dedicating finite resources to a crowded marketplace etc. And I think it is. The minis are a draw to more people than the terrain is. The minis may even expose people to the terrain simply bc there are people shopping around for minis. The minis work well with the terrain - not just in general but thematically. Town guard for cities, castle siege defenders, DoD encounters based around particular monster confrontations. They draw people in - terrain fans want the minis to center the encounter around, and minis fans may find the terrain tempting to complement them.

It’s an attempt to broaden their audience by extending their product line. I think it’s at least worth a try. If it doesn’t work, I’m sure they’ll stop. They stopped making Sci-Fi terrain. They’ve pretty much stopped making resin sets. When something doesn’t work, they’ve shown they can pull the plug. The fact that they keep going back tells me it’s working. The minis offerings have been good sellers for multiple campaigns in a row, since KSIII.

I wasn’t wild about the KS6 minis, but I’ve loved all the rest. I’m as excited to see the minis from KS7 as I am for the rest of it.
I agree with you about drawing people in... but I disagree that the Gorgon mini, or the prisoner mini, or the two-headed croc mini drew people in to purchase those encounters in any meaningful scale. If you don't buy and collect DF terrain, there is no way you dropped $900 so that you could get the Abyssal Vermillion (or whatever the broken down 1/3 cost to get the AV).

I think the town guards, the ratmen, the lizard folk, the towns people are all great to produce. They are also decently priced for prepainted minis. But every time they add a chase mini to an encounter I cringe, because the economy of scales just got destroyed and I'm paying 5%-10% more for that encounter because of a single miniature (or set of chase pieces like the ravens in the Dias of the Dead). Each encounter is subsidizing the cost of that miniature's slot on a mold somewhere.

What I think they should do instead is make a pack of minis that go with all the encounters. It could include all the miniatures from each encounter. They could charge $100 for it, or whatever they think is sufficient based off of how many they think they'd sell. They would sell a lot more of those packs than they do full encounters, so they'd be casting a lot more, so the mold costs would be reduced. Additionally, the freaking encounters would be cheaper. People could get the "chase minis" without having to buy the full encounters. DF sells a similar number of encounters (more people would buy it because it costs less, less people would buy it because it doesn't have the chase piece = wash). DF sells a crap-ton more miniature packs. DF makes more money. It is a win, win, freaking fracking win. ;)

User avatar
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 5217
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Nagoya Japan

Re: Official PM video

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:37 pm

I agree the painted price is seeing increases lately, which is not too surprising considering wages in China are rising and the complexity of the paints seems to be also rising. I am sure painting all that magma/lava is gonna be hard with a lot of steps.

I am going to get largely unpainted.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

User avatar
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 5217
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Nagoya Japan

Re: Official PM video

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am
Law wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:18 am
I’m passing on the dog, as he’s just not worth it at that price to me personally. It’s a cool figure and the LED feature is awesome. But I just can’t have everything.
I'm wrestling with the doggo a bit. I don't really need it, but it looks amazing. It might be the first non-painted piece of DF I buy, simply because I think I can put a paint job on him that will look amazing with the great sculpt he already has...
I am sure you could give im a wonderful paint job.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

User avatar
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 5406
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 pm
Location: South Weber, UT

Re: Official PM video

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Ok I got my email.

Correct price for the CD Banks Megapack is $242 painted and $124 unpainted, vs the Hellscape and Jumpy Stone version at $249 painted and $129 unpainted.

New pics of the Dreadportal:
p-50854--21608.jpg
p-50854--21608.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 445 times
p-50854--21609.jpg
p-50854--21609.jpg (98.05 KiB) Viewed 445 times
p-50854--21610.jpg
p-50854--21610.jpg (128.52 KiB) Viewed 445 times
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

User avatar
Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Re: Official PM video

Post by Blunderbuss » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm
Anyone done any math to figure out if the megapack is worth it after this, especially with the CD pieces? I'm at work and the day is starting to pick up so I'm out.
Came to find out exactly the same thing. I’m indisposed at present, but hopefully someone who is good at running numbers does an analysis! I was planning on picking up a few sets of banks already and now have to revisit my original pledge to see if the mega pack changes anything.

subtalon
Orc
Orc
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:35 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Official PM video

Post by subtalon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm
NiandoBG wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 am
Banks Mega Packs: I like the idea of a Mega Packs. Savings on pieces are obviously not the way how DF sees Mega Packs. It’s more a good selection with the integration of some “rare” pieces. Some of you asked for the jumpy lava stone, here you get 4 of them. Well done. :D
By the way the jumpy lava stone explains the price difference between lava and CD.
They did the CD Version IMO because a lot of people argued that the did not saw the value in it during CD and wished to have backed more of them. Here we have it: DF listend to us and gave us what we asked for. :) :D
I will consider the mega pack as an option because I wanted to buy at least three bank add-on packs. Important for me is to get enough corner pieces. I often have the feeling that there are to few in there (looking at imperial streets, monster sewer set)...
I don't have access to the pledge manager yet, but based on the PM video, the graphic says the lava version of the banks megapack contains:

12x Straight Bank
8x Convex Bank
8x Concave Bank
8x 2x4 Long Straight Bank
4x 4x4 Concave Curve Bank
4x 4x4 Convex Curve Bank
2x Bank to Wall Left
2x Bank to Wall Right
4x Flat Floor
4x Magma Jumpy Stone

56 pieces ($249 painted, $129 unpainted)

While the CD paint scheme megapack includes the following:

12x Straight Bank
8x Convex Bank
8x Concave Bank
8x 2x4 Long Straight Bank
4x 4x4 Concave Curve Bank
4x 4x4 Convex Curve Bank
2x Bank to Wall Left
2x Bank to Wall Right
4x Flat Floor
0x Jumpy Stones

52 pieces ($272 painted, $124 unpainted)

So with the CD paint scheme you get 4 less pieces for $23 more. And painting the pieces costs 119% of what the unpainted costs, while with the Hellscape paint the increase is only 93%.

Just a FYI.

Anyone done any math to figure out if the megapack is worth it after this, especially with the CD pieces? I'm at work and the day is starting to pick up so I'm out.
Somewhere they indicated that the price on Caverns deep was incorrectly high.

User avatar
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 5406
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 pm
Location: South Weber, UT

Re: Official PM video

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm

NiandoBG wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 am
Banks Mega Packs: I like the idea of a Mega Packs. Savings on pieces are obviously not the way how DF sees Mega Packs. It’s more a good selection with the integration of some “rare” pieces. Some of you asked for the jumpy lava stone, here you get 4 of them. Well done. :D
By the way the jumpy lava stone explains the price difference between lava and CD.
They did the CD Version IMO because a lot of people argued that the did not saw the value in it during CD and wished to have backed more of them. Here we have it: DF listend to us and gave us what we asked for. :) :D
I will consider the mega pack as an option because I wanted to buy at least three bank add-on packs. Important for me is to get enough corner pieces. I often have the feeling that there are to few in there (looking at imperial streets, monster sewer set)...
I don't have access to the pledge manager yet, but based on the PM video, the graphic says the lava version of the banks megapack contains:

12x Straight Bank
8x Convex Bank
8x Concave Bank
8x 2x4 Long Straight Bank
4x 4x4 Concave Curve Bank
4x 4x4 Convex Curve Bank
2x Bank to Wall Left
2x Bank to Wall Right
4x Flat Floor
4x Magma Jumpy Stone

56 pieces ($249 painted, $129 unpainted)

While the CD paint scheme megapack includes the following:

12x Straight Bank
8x Convex Bank
8x Concave Bank
8x 2x4 Long Straight Bank
4x 4x4 Concave Curve Bank
4x 4x4 Convex Curve Bank
2x Bank to Wall Left
2x Bank to Wall Right
4x Flat Floor
0x Jumpy Stones

52 pieces ($272 painted, $124 unpainted)

So with the CD paint scheme you get 4 less pieces for $23 more. And painting the pieces costs 119% of what the unpainted costs, while with the Hellscape paint the increase is only 93%.

Just a FYI.

Anyone done any math to figure out if the megapack is worth it after this, especially with the CD pieces? I'm at work and the day is starting to pick up so I'm out.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:59 am

Re: Official PM video

Post by MrMorden » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:56 am

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:41 am
Caverns Mega Banks marks the first time that the painted set has been more than 2X the cost of unpainted...

The premium for painted has been steadily rising, but lately it has jumped significantly so as to make some things unviable
That's a good point. I have always bought painted; even though I am a competent painter I just don't want to spend my limited time painting terrain. But when I look at the premium involved, it smarts...sometimes a LOT. At some point the dollar premium may exceed the time savings. I'm not there yet, but I can smell it from here.

Post Reply

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest