Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Official PM video

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 pm
Actually I do not want DF to make minis. I have said that many times. Paint with a less broad brush.
I was not directing the comment to you, I should have tried to be clear :!: So the next time you are not quoted you should not feel the need to squeal like a stuck pig :!: :!: :!: I am sure you will want to keep your post count up. So Have at it :evil:
You doing ok? Kinda testy today. :(
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:18 pm
You want DF to make pre painted Miniatures then complain a bout the cost. This kind of thing drives me absolutely berserk :evil: :evil: :evil:
No, I don't. Not necessarily. While I like the minis, I don't ask specifically for them, and the main reason I buy DF is the terrain; minis are far down the list.

I want DF to better manage economies of scale with their minis inside of their kickstarters. I used the Sysuul example as it's a LED piece with a complex paint job, just like Cerberus will be. The seated Sysuul figure costs us half the price (even at the retail markup over KS) or less due to economies of scale as it's included in a relatively cheap pack of other items. (ie: it's not in a $280 pack like the Abyssal Vermillion)

I don't care if they do minis. I think the way to do them however is in a pack so they can get multiple presses out of the mold. While the DF tower defenders, guard, ratmen, etc. are more expensive than a Reaper Bones figure, they are pretty close to what you'd pay for a WOTC/Paizo prepainted mini. When you have them as a one-off like Cerberus, it causes their cost to rise. Even at $15-20, Sysuul is expensive, but compare her cost to the other, more often manufactured LED pieces in the store, and the price is around $10-12 per piece.

I realize we all don't need 8x LED Cerberus or Sysuuls like we may need 8x LED walls, but having a focused goal of economies of scale for the DF minis, if they choose to do them, would be of benefit to the backers/buyers. Cerberus by himself costs $39. The "mini" of Sysuul standing up stand alone costs $39 as well. The 2-headed croc is now in the store as a stand alone at $20. It's cheaper because it's in the Acid Bath encounter (and was made in KS3) and it costs less to make due to the higher quantity being produced.

Talistran has some good posts about it that are more eloquent than I can do.

What I want is if they are committed to doing minis, have an add-on pack that includes all of them from the Kickstarter. I feel it would reduce the cost per mini.

But I'm sitting here on the outside; I'll roll with whatever DF decides to do and I'll not buy what isn't within my budget based on usage and value. No worries here.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 pm
Actually I do not want DF to make minis. I have said that many times. Paint with a less broad brush.
I was not directing the comment to you, I should have tried to be clear :!: So the next time you are not quoted you should not feel the need to squeal like a stuck pig :!: :!: :!: I am sure you will want to keep your post count up. So Have at it :evil:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:33 pm
One benefit Mega-packs (and/or encounters) sometimes provide over smaller packs is the ratio of various pieces. I haven't looked at the banks Mega-packs, so maybe doesn't apply here, but as an example the Doomroller encounter has a better mix of inside and outside corners relative to each other and straights than you can get by buying the individual add-ons.

So, yeah, sometimes the benefit is the piece combination more than the per-piece price.
That was very true of the mountains mega^pack. It is also nice when megapacks have new pieces, like the 4x4 floors mountains had. Or even a bonus mini.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:33 pm

One benefit Mega-packs (and/or encounters) sometimes provide over smaller packs is the ratio of various pieces. I haven't looked at the banks Mega-packs, so maybe doesn't apply here, but as an example the Doomroller encounter has a better mix of inside and outside corners relative to each other and straights than you can get by buying the individual add-ons.

So, yeah, sometimes the benefit is the piece combination more than the per-piece price.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 pm

The foam mega pack (well the banks ones also actually) could easily be half the size. Maybe the larger packs save some money, but I would prefer smaller mega packs as I can always order multiples.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 pm

William wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:15 pm
The foam core risers are ridiculously priced, pass. :shock:
Black would have been just fine, if they could have priced them like typical foam core boards.

Lastly, Mega-Packs are not what I was asking for.
I'll probably pass on all of those new things. :|
The mini looks cool, but not sure I need a flickering pup.p.p. ;)
Pretty much agree.

I always try my best to calculate the Mega-Pack value versus the smaller packs, and they never seem to have much if any savings. They just cost more. I'll consider it, but likely pass too.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:18 pm

You want DF to make pre painted Miniatures then complain a bout the cost. This kind of thing drives me absolutely berserk :evil: :evil: :evil:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Yeah, even unpainted is still quite a lot of change. The idea of an LED moveable mini is attractive. To me the Sysuul mini is really terrain, not a mini.

I am unsure what I will do with this. I can get a decent add-on pack of terrain for the price of a mini I may not use very much. And of course the LED is cool, but it is also probably doubling the price.

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”