Oldschool Lava Falls

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Oldschool Lava Falls

Post by unclebilly » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:31 pm

CaptCook wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:12 pm
They look great with the light behind them! What was your approach, did you sort of follow the KS6.66 painting guide?
unclebilly wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:41 pm
Looks good. You may want to try using some red brake light plastic to help turn the light red. You can get it at a auto store.
I've got ton of lighting gels lying around my house, but realizing that's probably not the case (or common knowledge) for folks who don't work in film and TV. We use them every single day to change the colour of lights on set. In essence, they are just tinted transparency sheets in any colour/size you can imagine. Amazon has a huge selection of cheap ones (they are also super easy to trim to size).

https://www.amazon.com/gel-film/s?k=gel+film (just a suggested search term really, never tried any of these ones since the ones I have come from huge expensive rolls)

I plan to use them a lot for the DF lightpanels. In my mind, they also look better than colour changing LEDs. Plus cheap!
Lighting gels would work even better. Just said the brake light because it is at hand for most people. The gels would be the best thing to use.

CaptCook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by CaptCook » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 pm

CaptCook wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:12 pm
What was your approach, did you sort of follow the KS6.66 painting guide?
Please ignore my stupid question that was already asked and answered. I blame it on insufficient caffeine ingested so far today.

CaptCook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by CaptCook » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:12 pm

They look great with the light behind them! What was your approach, did you sort of follow the KS6.66 painting guide?
unclebilly wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:41 pm
Looks good. You may want to try using some red brake light plastic to help turn the light red. You can get it at a auto store.
I've got ton of lighting gels lying around my house, but realizing that's probably not the case (or common knowledge) for folks who don't work in film and TV. We use them every single day to change the colour of lights on set. In essence, they are just tinted transparency sheets in any colour/size you can imagine. Amazon has a huge selection of cheap ones (they are also super easy to trim to size).

https://www.amazon.com/gel-film/s?k=gel+film (just a suggested search term really, never tried any of these ones since the ones I have come from huge expensive rolls)

I plan to use them a lot for the DF lightpanels. In my mind, they also look better than colour changing LEDs. Plus cheap!

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:39 am

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:40 pm
Nobody says, but I assume those are the repainted DwF waterfall pieces. WOW. Smashing, IMHO. I have enough to try this....
Yep. Assumption correct. These are the KS2 water falls.
Thanks, GOW!
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Nobody says, but I assume those are the repainted DwF waterfall pieces. WOW. Smashing, IMHO. I have enough to try this....

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 7, which I won't buy.
WeaselWarGod

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Nice paint job.

I still don’t own them. :(
I like them but the other piece of the set didn’t convinced me to buy this set. :!:

If I would own them, I think I would paint them as water because of the upcoming new lava fall and the higher likelihood of water situations. ;)

But thanks for sharing and courage to try something unexpected. :o
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:40 am

Thank you all!
Oldent wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 am
Cool :!: tell us about the paint 8-)
1. I used a thick base layer of Pokorny Lava Yellow. Made sure that all deeper parts are filled properly in order to avoid having the blue of the pvc shining through.

2 had a heavy dry brush of Vallejo Orange Fire, covering everything but the deepest depth and holes. Around 90% of the piece.

3. Made another lighter drybrushing with Vallejo Bloody Red. Got it lighter in the middle of the piece and heavier on the left and right.

4. Made yet another drybrushing with Pokorny Deep Lava, similar to the last step, but even less coverage. No deep lava in the middle of the piece, in order to produce the illusion that the flow is hotter in the middle.

5. Finally one layer of black, with a very very light drybrushing only at the sides and over the most exposed parts.

I really like that the pieces are still semi-translucent after all these steps, and that the original blue does not shine through at all, even when backlighted.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 am

Cool :!: tell us about the paint 8-)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 am

These do indeed look very good
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 am