Encounter 2 - THE TORRENT OF TORMENT

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge Kickstarter 6.66 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Encounter 2 - THE TORRENT OF TORMENT

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:03 am

Last edited by JenneyOC on Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Encounter 2 - THE TORRENT OF TORMENT

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Q: From the stream last night we were shown what it looks like to have the light panel seams with the phantasmal filters, and they do stand out some. How then are the videos done for Encounter 2? In the video it looks like you are actually using a 12x12 and a 4x4 instead of the 3 8x8 it is supposed to come with. Also it doesn't look like there are any seams in the river other then where the 12x12 and 4x8 meet and we just see light peaking through instead of a dark seam. So can we please get a video or images showing what the encounter will look like when we build it with the pieces we will get? Looking at it I can't help but feel like we are being a little misled in both images and videos by you using different pieces then what we are getting and your light panels don't seem to have seams (possibly you used one large panel instead of daisy chained 8x8).

And to help clarify, I talking about the seams between two or more light panels when you have the phantasmal filters going across them. The River of Styx is longer then a single 8x8 sheet and therefore you must use multiple sheets, and due to the current design there will be a noticeable seam where they meet. All of the images and videos you do not see this, instead seeing what looks to be a larger light panel or one without seams. Also the phantasmal filters used look to be different.

A: (Elye) So, I can't speak to the specific prototypes used during the filming of particular videos, since I wasn't part of that process, and we've been using the most up-to-date prototypes as we go - with new updated pieces arriving during the course of the campaign. But Nate has certainly done his best to demo the light panels and filters extensively, both in the hands-on video dedicated to the panels, and in the latest couple livestreams.
I can say specifically that the final version of our panels will be cast in translucent white (including the sides, so no grey edges).

I'm sure it will still be possible to faintly see the borders where panels meet (depending on the level of illumination and what you've put over them); that's a limitation of the technology and I believe it would be true of any light panels on the market. It's also in the nature of any modular terrain - you can see where the pieces meet; it's the price you pay for being able to combine things in countless different ways. But the modularity also means incredible versatility, and the alternative (in this case, a single table-sized light panel) is not a realistic option for most folks, including us!

Just to be clear, I'm not claiming that the joints between the panels will be completely invisible; I don't think that's possible given the limitations of the technology, and would be true of any light panels on the market. But the while edges should certainly help make them much less visible.

I have that barge too, and am also looking forward to creating a big phantasmal river... Going to be sending my PCs to the Shadowfell ere long and they'll have to cross dark waters there..

Return to “Codex Valoria KS6.66”