KS6.66 - PAINT SCHEMES / PAINT TUTORIAL

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge Kickstarter 6.66 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

KS6.66 - PAINT SCHEMES / PAINT TUTORIAL

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:24 am

Q: Is the floor color compatible with a standard Cavern’s Deep floor?
A: No. It is a bit darker, so it not the same color scheme. You can always use them together, but they are not meant to be the same.

-----

Q1: I would also love a painting guide, preferably before the kickstarter ends if it's at all possible so I can make the most informed decision when going painted/unpainted. I paint everything, but have never used translucent paints and don't want to mess it up!

Q2: Definitely we need a painting video before the end of campaign, for us brave enough to go unpainted will be hard to choose without any idea of how difficult will be covering nicely those translucent terrain.

Q3: Is there a tutorial available or a loose breakdown of what would be involved to paint these via text? I normally paint everything myself, but I haven't worked with translucent paints before.

A: We have definitely seen this request multiple times from many backers. It is coming. Erin is working on a painting tutorial to help backers make informed decisions on if they want to paint the pieces themselves. It should be out Wednesday 6/18.

-----

Q: Will DF offer the translucent paints as part of their Pokorny Line?
A: No, DF will not be adding any translucent paints to their current offerings. This is a very niche paint type and there are already various ones out there on the market.

-----

Q: Lets talk alternate paint schemes…

A: Probably not, but maybe.

A: (Jay) The factory basically said no alt paint schemes unless the #s were huge, they just couldn't handle it. So they are overcharging for them now.

A- (Nate) the factory was anticipating a relatively small run of pieces and was charging us extra for a casting color change and alternate paint scheme. They really struggled with the alt paint schemes in KS6. It created production challenges and packing challenges. So they’re preemptively charging us more this time around.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS6.66 - PAINT SCHEMES / PAINT TUTORIAL

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 pm

Erin’s Painting Video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjHqo2p ... =youtu.be

-----

Q: For previous translucent components paint quality QA has been difficult. I have a lot of pieces (like the pedestal obelisk) where I have touched up paint defects that are invisible in normal light, but let through light in inappropriate places when lit up. I know the paint-procedure is more complicated this time. How will the factory try and suppress this sort of thing when so many of the pieces are translucent this time?

A: Well, there are two things working in their favor. The first is that they're getting lots of experience working with translucent pieces on the Crystal Caverns sets. The second is that these lava pieces are glowing from within in a way that makes it entirely natural for light to be showing through the cracks here and there.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:43 am

Q: Since the new pieces are made in the translucent material, if one orders the standard cavern paint option for the large stone banks, will they match the Cavern’s Deep campaign paint jobs, or will there be color variations between the two?

A: That is the idea.

-----

Q: Any chance of a pedestal of pain in the standard cavern paint?
A: Why yes, there will be a caverns deep alt paint for the pedestal of pain showing up in a little bit.

-----

Q: Will the transitions be painted the same, i.e. the spouted floor.
A: yes they will all have the same orientation for simplicity in production.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:49 pm

Q: Can someone confirm that the magma trifecta walls paint scheme is the same as the normal magma walls, where it starts dark at the bottom and transitions to standard cavern colors up top? Or are only the floors a different color with the trifecta walls? Hard to tell from the images/walkthroughs.

A: (nate) yes, Trifecta walls will be in lava paint scheme

A: (jeff) Yes, they will have the graduated color from black at bottom towards cavern grey at the top just like the Lava Core pieces and other Lava walls

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:50 pm

UPDATE!!!!!

From Eyle:

Hi folks! For those who have been waiting to hear, I'm pleased to announce that the factory has confirmed they will be able to do a run in grey Dwarvenite.

So appropriate pieces (e.g. unpainted Caverns banks) will be in grey. The exact list will be forthcoming, but it should generally be logical.

-----

Q: Will the "Large Stone Banks" and "Spouted Floor Pack" in standard cavern paint also be based on gray Dwarvenite? I'm not sure if I'm going to add these to my pledge because I know I would hate if they differed in color from the rest of the regular caverns due to semi-transparent paint.

A: (Jeff) Those two packs in Caverns Gray would be cast in gray Dwarvenite, yes.
We do have an Internet spreadsheet detailing which part numbers we wanted cast in gray vs yellow. I’ll see if we can get that cleaned up and approved for release, or maybe get it added to the shipping prices Google sheet.

Return to “Codex Valoria KS6.66”