BACK COMPATABILITY

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge Wildlands Kickstarter developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

BACK COMPATABILITY

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:56 am

Q: It’s hard to tell the cross over pieces. For example, I already have mountains so what are the new pieces verses the ones that are available in the store. I think that would be a huge help for folks to see all the newer pieces..

A: Virtually everything in this campaign is totally new. (I believe the only exception is the gnarled tree, which was a hard to get item from Dreadhollow so we fit it into a few sets here to make it easier for folks to get. Also the Boat Oar/Tiller are KS6.) All the forest and mountain pieces here work equally well as standalone sets, or are fully compatible with the existing forest / mountain pieces. Getting some of these adds maximum variety to your builds if you also are interested in picking up some of the older sets.

-----

Q: Are KS7 swamp banks and the previous DH transition banks functionally interchangeable?

A: Yes, they are. The new offerings in both forest and swamp are to increase the overall variability of the banks pieces. You can use forest banks in the swamp, and vice versa. They are sculpted to be seamless.

-----

Q: Do the new rods work on the KS6 driftstones or are they larger?

A: the new ones are ¼” and bigger than the KS6 Driftstones.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: BACK COMPATABILITY

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:27 am

Q: The wyverstone peak pledge says it was designed for compatibility with erinthor, but I see a lot of 3x3 and 6x6 pieces. Are there 1,2,4x4 pieces in this as well? It's very hard to spot. I like the look of this pledge, but I wonder if it will be possible to rebuild something similar without the 3x3's and 6x6's through add-ons.

A: There are a number of 1x2s, 1x1s, and 2x2 floors in this set to help compatibility. You could also build something like this using add-ons once all the sets have been released

-----

Q: What is the 'Primary' scale of the figures that this terrain is designed for?

A: 25mm to 32mm work well.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:18 am

Q: Making your Older KS6 Driftstones compatible with New KS7 Driftstones…

A: (Loyal Backer) We should be aware by now that hot water can be used to shape PVC. I am going to go over it for new people. The water does not have to boil but a cup of water will cool quickly. Warm your tool and the PVC together. Push the tapered tool into the PVC. Remove it and insert the new rod. Then chill the parts together in cool water. Tap water is fine. It does not require special tools. I am sure you have something.

Images here: https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 61#p181446

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 pm

Q: DF seems to have abandoned 4x4. Even environments that were already established with 4x4 are now 6x6. Not sure if this is the new normal. It would be a good question for the live stream.

A: Our theory is that outdoor builds are big, so our scale for that is larger. Four 6x6s make a square foot. For more Nate conversation on this...

Check out the Ep. 3 Twitch stream around the 1:22:00 mark.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/711079669? ... zwX2KRa0rQ

-----

Q: The old drift stones peg holds are very near 3/32. I suspect they may be metric. I would like measurements for the new pegs, if I can get them...

A: 1/4 inch

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 am

Q: Could you talk more about how the Erinthor expansion will work with both old Erinthor and the new escarpments? Any height issues?

A: This will be a hands on video.

-----

Q: So Erinthor+ledge = Escarpment height? Or erinthor + floor = escarpment

A: Yes to both

A: Cave cliff plus ledge/cave trifecta = escarpment height as well ... just FYI.

-----

Q: Do the ledges for Erinthor/Dreadhollow have same footprint?

A: Yes they are identical except for cosmetic differences, one has more grass.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:29 am

Q: A Note on Casting colors…

A: (Elye) Hi Folks! OK, here's what I've been told about casting colors.

First, the short answer: there are currently no plans to change the casting colors of any pieces except for those of the painted City Builder stone buildings. These were originally cast in a lighter grey than our standard, dark Dungeon Grey and are now being standardized to that color. The paint scheme has been adjusted accordingly so they will still blend well with existing CBS stone buildings. No other casting colors are changing.

The darker dungeon grey Dwarvenite is not a new casting color, it's the standard color that most of the pieces have been cast in since the beginning (KS1). There have been a few variations, most notably the CBS stone buildings; the KS4 (Castle/Erinthor mtn.) pieces were also in a marginally lighter grey, though not nearly as light as the CBS stone.

It was the original CBS stone buildings that were cast in a lighter grey to make the factory painting easier - that's not something we're going to do for the Dreadhollow, which should continue to be cast in the same (dark dungeon grey) color as it was during the KS, nor for the Wildlands.

As far as how all these pieces look when combined together, I refer you to the compatibility videos that Nate has been working on, which should be released some time this week. These should provide extensive examples of how well the various sets work together. I'm certainly looking forward to using the new mountain pieces with my Dreadhollow escarpments and original Erinthor set.

Finally - it is worth noting that there will always be some slight variations between casting runs (and painting runs) for any product that uses colored materials; 100% perfect matches are impossible. But it's also worth noting that natural stone varies considerably in color; it's rare to see a cliff or even a small outcrop without some variation across its surface. The natural variations in hand-painted pieces help replicate this, and if everything was too perfectly repeated it would start to feel rather phony.

Hope this helps!

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Another Note on CASTING COLORS...

Our hand painted Forest sets are designed to match and/or blend together with the forest pieces from Caverns Deep. Our hand painted Mountain sets are similarly designed to go with our original Erinthor set (from our Castle Builder line). Unpainted Casting Colors: We plan for Forest and Swamp to match the (dungeon) gray color used for earlier Forest pieces from Caverns Deep. Pending final advice from the factory, the gray used for Erinthor might be slightly lighter, similar to that used to cast our original Erinthor set.

-----

Q: I've just found out the dreadhallow squares are not the same size as the dungeon/ cavern squares. I've just been trying to do a build with both scales, an underground garden, it's tricky. Why the change of scale? Is the USA finally going to join the rest of the world in using the metric system?

A: (GeekJeff) It does get a little tricky, but you can work around it. No, we're not joining the metric system, ironically it's the reverse.

Traditional floor tiles were 50mm square, to go with 25mm scale minis (remember those, before every PC mini was a half-giant?) This was usually referred to as a "1-inch grid" even though two inches works out to 50.8mm. In practice, most resin tiles aren't totally square and vary by up to 1mm due to the stretchy nature of silicone molds, resin shrinkage, lots of things.

With City Builder and Castle Builder, squares became one true inch. The manufacturing process with steel molds is also more precise.

It's not an ideal situation, but since everything can't be re-cast the standard DF settled on is - "underground" terrains like Dungeons and Caverns match the 50mm scale of the old resin, to keep compatibility with 20 years of existing sets which you are more likely to use them with. "Outdoor" sets - City, Castle, Mountain, Forest - use the true 1" scale.
For a run of a couple of 2x2 floor tiles, you'll be off by 1.6mm which is within most people's tolerances. If you have 12" of them in a line, you have 4.8mm of gap which yes, becomes a problem. You can work around it by leaving tiny smaller gaps in between the floor tiles, or using different tiles in separate parts of the build instead of intermixing them.

In the Dreadhollow squares meeting up with Dungeon floor tiles - ideally, you wouldn't want a hard, inorganic dividing line there there anyways (unless maybe you're doing a sidewalk in a park or something.)

You could build your Forest Floor area up one floor height level, and use Forest Banks to nicely spill over the surrounding area made of dungeon tiles for instance, making a pretty transition.

Return to “Codex Valoria Wildlands”