Swamp Banks - Islands - Dimensions

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney.
Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria Wildlands.
You may carry on discussions in the Kickstarter 7 Discussion Forums.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Swamp Banks - Islands - Dimensions

Post by kitenerd » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Seriously considering getting this pack, but i am having trouble visualizing what it can do all by itself

Could we get a quick shot - straight down - of these pieces on a gridded battlemat? - This would let me play cut and paste Map Maker style and see the potential configurations

Thanks
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

realarete
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Swamp Banks - Islands - Dimensions

Post by realarete » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:13 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 pm
Seriously considering getting this pack, but i am having trouble visualizing what it can do all by itself

Could we get a quick shot - straight down - of these pieces on a gridded battlemat? - This would let me play cut and paste Map Maker style and see the potential configurations

Thanks
I drew some templates ( they are VERY rough) two help me glance at each bank pack. I am getting a ton of banks. Here is a picture:
Attachments
Banks - Islands
Banks - Islands
IMG_1526.jpeg (116.2 KiB) Viewed 559 times

realarete
Ogre
Ogre

Post by realarete » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm

So at the most basic you can get 2 islands .. one small 4x4 and one larger 6x6 essentially. Having the end cap left over and all the scatter that comes with it as well. Obviously there are other configurations... but a basic one helps put it into a larger pledge picture.

gwhansen
Orc
Orc

Post by gwhansen » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:43 pm

Very helpful, you should post your templates for the other bank packs!

realarete
Ogre
Ogre

Post by realarete » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm

Will do, I have them on graph paper .. currently Im stuck in the office! Will get them out later tonight.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:02 pm

realarete wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm
So at the most basic you can get 2 islands .. one small 4x4 and one larger 6x6 essentially. Having the end cap left over and all the scatter that comes with it as well. Obviously there are other configurations... but a basic one helps put it into a larger pledge picture.
Thanks - this helps a lot. Not trying to be a jerk, just struggling with dimensions - the banks are 2" or 1.5"? (it is either a 3x3 & 6x6 or a 4x4 and a 7x7) Again not trying to split hairs and be petty, just trying to comprehend.

Does the "End Cap" have one flat side or two? - I am hoping two then you can create more irregular shaped islands.

I have NO Dreadhollow and NO banks - i just do mat and scatter - but i love the idea of making an island in the middle of a water mat, I have sand form the docks KS a while back...

realarete
Ogre
Ogre

Post by realarete » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:16 pm

The small convex swamp bank is theoretically a 2x2 piece. Its 'working' dead sides that you'd butt up to another bank at ACTUALLY 1.5" but if you measure across from dead side to the farthest point on the opposite side its 2".
So on a square grid 1' map its filling a 4x4 area if you use 4 of them. Obviously its not a perfect square, but its dimensions will be tangent to the sides of that 4x4 square.

The END CAP piece has 1 dead side, and the dead area is 3' long. My sketch doesn't do it justice .. the piece is 3x4 are really has a cool shape.

And you are correct the larger island would be a 7x7 space - basically 2" bank width+ 3" floor + 2" bank. Again not 'filling that 7x7 completely but lost, since it has an irregular/natural overall shape.
Grid samples of the banks. The river is almost 2 TT in length
Grid samples of the banks. The river is almost 2 TT in length
IMG_1540.jpeg (161.26 KiB) Viewed 499 times

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Thank you - your brain is better at this than mine ;)

SO how exactly would you use the end cap given the configuration of parts in the set? Seems like you would almost need another floor or different banks or both to make it work

i came up with 2 configurations
IMG_7793.JPG
IMG_7793.JPG (50.77 KiB) Viewed 484 times
IMG_7794.JPG
IMG_7794.JPG (61.01 KiB) Viewed 484 times
This last one only works if they designed the bank to nest along the edge of the end cap. (although if you are not OCD you could probably make it work by shifting things slightly)

Hmmmm... if islands then... more swamps

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:07 pm

You can hide where things dont quite match up with scatter terrain... a stump lump here... a willow there... looks great!!!

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:02 pm

All you arts&crafts people here make me so happy. Were you able to sort out your answer, or did you still have one? Also perhaps the 'Banks Video' is a help to you as well?

Return to “Ask the Knightess”