KS8 pricing

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS8 pricing

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Agreed, have told both Nate, Chris and Hamster to sponsor some gaming tables at a Warhammer Tournament.

A couple using just scatter but one clad completely in Dwarvenite.

When players see what can be done they may well dip their toes in. For many it will be to expensive and too slow to build.

But for those that want pre painted, then scatter be comes a realistic option even on a budget.

We know many DooFers do not think DF should go into battlemats, but we think if they can make battlemats where the design is the same as the street tiles we think it will help sell scatter terrain.

For instance a double sided battlemat with two different street layouts for KS8. Specifically tailored for the new building types.

An option is to make the mats 2x2' and double sided. So 1 pledge builds a hamlet on 1 mat, then a village on 2, a town on 4 and a city on 6.

Effectively giving you two street designs that can be setup in various configs from 2x2 to 2x4 4x4 and 6x4.

For some reason this idea is getting us a little excited :D

Another way of looking at it is a current Hamlet pledge with 2x2 mat, bang 4 of those together and you have a modular Town.

Add a bunch of add-ons for specific buildings, Temple, City Hall, Church etc to give your city a more unique feel.

You add the SGs you qualify for to add some details or more walls etc. You cannot have enough doors or roofs btw.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MCharod
Goblin
Goblin

Post by MCharod » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:46 pm

period3 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:25 am
Clint_Lundgren wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 am But the cost difference is stark for international buyers, and is definitely a serious driver.

For example, I live in Canada, which is basically the best-case scenario for a DF international customer. A painted DF starter Dungeon will cost me $129 American (including shipping), or about $162 Canadian.

I live in Toronto, and a painted starter dungeon costs $15 USD to ship. Total cost is $75.65 USD including taxes and duties (which is just the standard 13% sales tax I'd be paying on anything I buy anyway).

My local game store wants $79.99 CAD + tax for basic warlock dungeon tiles, or about $72 USD.

But maybe these rates are only because I live in a major city fairly close to the border.

The option I chose was "UPS Worldwide Economy (Duties and Tax included)"
I did the same exercise, country: Belgium

painted starter dungeon: $49
UPS Worldwide Economy (Duties and Tax included): $39,50
total: $88,50 or 74 €
coverage: 8" x 8" I think?

WarLock Tiles: Dungeon Tiles II – Full Height Stone Walls : 124 € at local game store
coverage:
2x - 4”x 4” Stone/Wood Dual-Sided Tiles
20x - 2”x2” Stone/Wood Dual-Sided Tiles
2x - 2”x 8” Stone/Wood Dual-Sided Tiles

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 pm Agreed, have told both Nate, Chris and Hamster to sponsor some gaming tables at a Warhammer Tournament.

When players see what can be done they may well dip their toes in. For many it will be to expensive and too slow to build.

But for those that want pre painted, then scatter be comes a realistic option even on a budget.

We know many DooFers do not think DF should go into battlemats, but we think if they can make battlemats where the design is the same as the street tiles we think it will help sell scatter terrain.

For instance a double sided battlemat with two different street layouts for KS8. Specifically tailored for the new building types.

An option is to make the mats 2x2' and double sided. So 1 pledge builds a hamlet on 1 mat, then a village on 2, a town on 4 and a city on 6.

Effectively giving you two street designs that can be setup in various configs from 2x2 to 2x4 4x4 and 6x4.

For some reason this idea is getting us a little excited :D

Another way of looking at it is a current Hamlet pledge with 2x2 mat, bang 4 of those together and you have a modular Town.

Add a bunch of add-ons for specific buildings, Temple, City Hall, Church etc to give your city a more unique feel.

You add the SGs you qualify for to add some details or more walls etc. You cannot have enough doors or roofs btw.
I agree with you mate.

Battle Systems has done well with their 2x2 mats.

My wife said that if DF did a 6x4 forest mat that looked like the forest terrain tray we would not have bought a Deep-Cut Studio grass mat... but she would need to see a DF city mat design before deciding on it. We did add 6 DF 2x2 water mats to our Wildlands pledge instead of buying a Deep-Cut Studios 6x4 water mat.

Think about what GW customers are paying for GW trees...
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Talistran
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Talistran » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 pm Agreed, have told both Nate, Chris and Hamster to sponsor some gaming tables at a Warhammer Tournament.

And they should demonstrate how the DF can be tipped over, throw across the room, thrown into a backpack or bin, etc.

Lots of wargaming options; VERY few that are durable AND good looking like DF

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 pm

Grumpy Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:14 pm I just feel that some wargamers are missing out on the versatility, durability and beauty of DF and I would like to see that change.
This. I've loved building miniature worlds since I was a kid, and at one time had a pretty substantial Warhammer set-up back when that was my thing a few decades ago. But nothing has ever scratched the itch the way that DF has, and now that I've finally had my come to Jeebus moment, I want to spread the word.

Basically, I think it's a bit sad that DF is probably out of the reach of most gamers.

period3
Ogre
Ogre

Post by period3 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Clint_Lundgren wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 am
Hey - I was comparing the prices between the deluxe starter set ($99), since that is close in coverage to the warlock dungeon tiles and so is more of an apples to apples comparison. I am interested that you only paid $15 shipping; I have never paid less than $30 and had assumed that was the default rate for Canada.
I'm quoted $17.64 for shipping and $12.87 for taxes+duties for a classic dungeon. (Note these numbers are added together as "shipping cost", but the fine print breaks it down into actual shipping cost and taxes.) DF is expensive, but I can't complain about the shipping. The costs for shipping to Canada seem only a little more than to the US. We just gotta pay 13% tax, but there's no easy way around that.

mikdc29
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mikdc29 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:13 pm

Talistran wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:53 pm

And they should demonstrate how the DF can be tipped over, throw across the room, thrown into a backpack or bin, etc.

Lots of wargaming options; VERY few that are durable AND good looking like DF
Couldn't agree more with both of these! In the KS opening video, they need to show a whole city being stored in 1-2 really useful bins, and then dumped on the floor with no issue! No other gaming terrain that checks both of those boxes

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:05 am

We can see it now ......... Scooby Doo ending ........

Pull out a draw full of neatly packed CBS sculpts which is than pulled out and tip over on a table, pieces spilling everywhere.

Add in shots of Nate smacking a piece with hand and a half sword, his kids running toy tractors over some burrows,
Then get a real tractor to do it.
Use the Get the Flock Out scene

Then some timelapse footage of all those bits being built into a city scape with beauty shots of the build ending with a shot of the drawer it all came out of.

Suggest this is all done with KS3 and not KS8 prototypes ;)

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 am

That is a crackin’ good photo. We enjoyed going through the DF videos on YouTube and seeing that scene.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 am

I just saw some Warlock tile sets while visiting my FLGS (to buy the Boneyard minis). They aren't exactly what I would call cheap (pricewise), with town sets retailing at about CAD150/USD120. The proprietor said that they were selling "moderately well".

Return to “Pre-KS8 Discussion”