Docks... and beaches!

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Re: Docks... and beaches!

Post by SwissArmyMage » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am

Stuff that could go into a pirate/beach theme KS

Modular ship
Beaches (banks, flooring, scatter seaweed/starfish/crab/etc.)
Sea caves/watertiles revisited
Underwater tiles/coral reef/ kelp forest
Tropical plants (palm trees, large ferns, vine jungle tree) (also doubles as a jungle biome)
Docks expansion for larger structures

A bit more out there but also...

Tribal huts/villages
Erinthor variants with more foliage like the DH escarpments
Aztec/Mayan style ruins

So there's probably more than enough here for that.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 am

Yeah, do a whole hot climate KS as a successor to WL, and make beaches part of it, but also include sculpts for jungle and desert - could be presented as a biome just as WL was.

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:12 am

Yeah, loving those ideas SAM and Clint.

Would appeal to the Blood & Plunder crowd.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Yacker
Orc
Orc

Post by Yacker » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:16 pm

SwissArmyMage wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am Stuff that could go into a pirate/beach theme KS

Modular ship
Beaches (banks, flooring, scatter seaweed/starfish/crab/etc.)
Sea caves/watertiles revisited
Underwater tiles/coral reef/ kelp forest
Tropical plants (palm trees, large ferns, vine jungle tree) (also doubles as a jungle biome)
Docks expansion for larger structures

A bit more out there but also...

Tribal huts/villages
Erinthor variants with more foliage like the DH escarpments
Aztec/Mayan style ruins

So there's probably more than enough here for that.
Throws money out in the Air, take it now!!!!
The drunkin DM and yack666 on Twitch

mbourj
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mbourj » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

It was talked about in the discord, but having something like Wildlands swamp but for beaches/small tropic islands is an idea.

The crux cam up about how to possibly make it modular with Wildlands, should you keep a pure sand tile, or put some transition foliage so you can from sandbar to inner forest/island.

I think that it would make sense for two pieces - one pure sand/banks and the another for transition. Maybe possibly make 1 of the pieces double sided, which would actually be a REALLY helpful piece, if a 2x3 or 3x3 title had both pure sand and transition sand/foliage.

I actually think that piece would be amazing, because although some might bring up the same argument of why you would have to pay more if you only want the pure sand, or the foliage transition is because the piece would be INCREDIBLY versatile. Like you can have a PURE sand layout, and the transition tile, if reversed and butted up to each other, and repeated could actually like a sparse-grass/sand area which is AWESOME, or you could combine the pieces with Wildlands/DH and transition. It's super versatile.

This really needs to happen!
-Matt
-Forgon2 (Twitch)
-Forgon (Discord)

mbourj
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mbourj » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 pm

I would plea to Rabbit Burner about how awesome a 40k layout could be with beaches and Wildlands/Cities/Castles all coming together. Seems like a match made in heaven.
-Matt
-Forgon2 (Twitch)
-Forgon (Discord)

mikdc29
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mikdc29 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 pm

I've also thought about how DF could be beach tiles - and while anyone thinks about a beach around a jungle / forest, it really is in principal identical to making an oasis in the middle of a desert! Both are grass tiles surrounded by sand tiles with maybe transition tiles in between.

- 3" straight sand bank
- 6" straight sand bank
- Small convex sand bank
- Large convex sand bank
- Small concave sand bank
- Large concave sand bank
- 3x6" sand to grass transition
- 3x3" sand to grass transition for variety
- corner transition (beach on outside, grass on inside) - this functions for grass surrounded by sand
- corner transition (grass on outside, beach on inside) - this functions for sand surrounded by grass, which imo is less useful and really only works if you have some sort of sandy / beachy lagoon inside of a forest

So that's 10 sculpts for a cool system - but while DF is at it, why not throw in 4 more sculpts to go to a whole sand tile system?

- 6x6" sand tile
- 3x3" sand tile
- maybe 2 tiles for some type of sand dunes / elevation, either 2 unique sand dunes, or maybe a straight + corner approach here, kind of like escarpments but shorter, with a gentler slope.
- Small tropical tree stump
- Large tropical tree stump
- Small tropical tree
- Large tropical tree
- Freestanding "tall plant" / fern type thing for jungles

For those 19 SKU slots, I'd spend a lot more $/sku than I would otherwise if DF used those for bling. With those sculpts, you have an entire beach / desert / jungle / oasis setting if you use them in conjuction with forest tiles

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:52 am

Mrs. GG and I would definitely be in for that in a big way. It covers so many locations that we want to game.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:25 am

Might as well throw in some swell banks/transitions and diagonals for organic looking builds.

I would also want more than one type of tree.
large and small palm trees for sure, but also some kind of large leafed tropical tree with vines on it and very tall for a canopy. Allowing a jungle in addition to the oasis.

Add some leafy/flowery bling and we're good to go.

DF should really consider this for their next KS. Although it seems like it's a more niche category and not as likely to sell, it's actually not that out there.

Beaches are everywhere.
Deserts are probably the next most popular environment they haven't already covered.
Jungles are already useable in tomb of annihilation and saltmarsh.

After that it's just a matter of what kind of man made structures they want to have supporting it.

Ships and pirates are popular.
settlements (tribal huts/desert houses)
Ruins (pyramids, both biomes)

It's highly doubtful they'll be able to support all three listed support structures in a single KS without it becoming huge. Maybe 2 if we're lucky and they keep it simple.

I'm looking forward to what they decide to do for KS9. There are tons of options and I haven't heard a peep about what is being planned. (if they're even actually planning KS9 at all yet)
I just hope they don't roll straight from cities 2.0 to castles 2.0. As much as I like castles, what we have is more than adequate at the moment and I'd rather they do something else.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 am

SwissArmyMage wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:25 am DF should really consider this for their next KS. Although it seems like it's a more niche category and not as likely to sell, it's actually not that out there.

Beaches are everywhere.
Deserts are probably the next most popular environment they haven't already covered.
Jungles are already useable in tomb of annihilation and saltmarsh.

After that it's just a matter of what kind of man made structures they want to have supporting it.

Ships and pirates are popular.
settlements (tribal huts/desert houses)
Ruins (pyramids, both biomes)
I consider Hellscape the benchmark for a niche KS, and this sounds a lot more usable than that did, and could probably be pulled off for a comparable number of sculpts.

Return to “Pre-KS8 Discussion”