PUZZLE DESIGN CONTEST

Fizzikx
Orc
Orc

Re:PUZZLE DESIGN CONTEST

Post by Fizzikx » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks everyone for the AMAZING suggestions!

OK so in truth my players never made it to the puzzle room as the adventure took slightly longer than we had expected. So I get to do some more planning (yay) but in the meantime...

The winner of this contest is LordDust! I liked your fifth-element-esc idea very much and will likely be using that with a few small twists.

In fact I liked everyone's submissions so much that I will probably be using most of these at some point. Therefore...

The runner up (nearly a tie) was Thwick! So you will BOTH be receiving 4 Torch Walls!

And finally, in 3rd place is jasdotcom - I'll send you two walls for your submission =)

Please email me your addresses and wait about 3-5 weeks. I will give you all tracking numbers when I have them.

Thank you again SO MUCH for all of your support and suggestions!

Happy Gaming!
-Fizz

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:13 am

Winning some of your modified Tiles is too tempting to resist! This puzzle may not seem elegant but I think it'll fit your needs:

The room harboring the pillars and globes can sense personal details of anyone that is present. It automatically (and secretly) arranges the puzzle to be solved in order of the height and age of those attempting to solve it.

The inner ring of pillars must be touched in order of height by all members of the party, shortest to tallest. If your adventuring party has not recorded their exact height then use height by race. There is no penalty for ties in height - any order will work by members of the same height.

(Example: If the party includes a halfling, elf, human, halforc, elf, human, human; the pillars would need to be touched in order of shortest to highest like so: Halfling, Elf, Elf, Human, Human, Human, Halforc.)

The outside ring of pillars need to be touched first by the youngest and then progress higher to the oldest. Once again there is no penalty for interchanging the order of two or more individuals who are the same age.

COOL PART - It doesn't matter what pillar is touched first in either ring and there is no set pattern to touch them except by the height/ age rules stated above. This will lead to one random pillar in each ring NOT lit (in a party of seven adventurers). You use these unlit pillars to determine a random boon bestowed -

Starting with the north pillar and working clockwise, determine what number pillar on the inner ring is not lit. Then find what number pillar of the outside ring is unlit. You use this number to pick a treasure on a random treasure list. (Example - the South inner pillar represents the number 5 and the Northwest outer pillar represents 8 so if the puzzle is solved and these pillars are left unlit you use the number 58 on a random treasure list)

This way the puzzle will remain fresh for every group of adventurers who try to solve it.

The globes will glow one color (say BLUE) whenever a pillar is touched by the correct party member and it will glow a different color (like RED) if touched by the wrong person in the order...and of course it sets off a trap of your own design.

That's all I got. Hopefully it makes sense because I suck at describing ideas through text.
:)

Thwick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thwick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Ok, I think this will be my last one, as the deadline is tomorrow. Think back to the classic eighties electronic toy, Simon.

Shortly after the arrival of the party, one of the columns lights up and then goes dark. If the players touch the column it lights up again and the game has begun. Now two light in rapid succession. If the players "play" the columns correctly three are played. (If not, the ratcheting sound of some terrible doom is heard) continue until eight in a row are played, the add two lights at once. If the players can correctly "play" a sequence of sixteen, they have solved the puzzle. Too many failures and, well, bad stuff.

Would work best if the switches you use are momentary on instead of constant on. You wil want to plan the sequence ahead of time, and can use a couple eight sided die to randomize it.

-Thwick.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:24 pm

hahahahaha AnimeSensei. That's hilarious.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 pm

The door just has a lock on it that is pickable.

The lights turn on when you push a button on the pillar. Once all of the lights are on a monster appears or the floor falls out. The trap is turning on all of the lights.

Gets players every time.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Thwick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thwick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Depending upon how long they have been adventuring and how detailed the record is, the outer pillars could have depictions of slain foes and the inner the distinctive weapons that fell them. The party would have to remember who finished off whom. Touch the correct weapon and foe pillars at the same time they light up. Get it wrong, bad stuff. Once all pillars ar lit an exit is revealed.

Works well unless you are like my party where 99% of our opponents have been felled by the same great axe.
-Thwick

Fizzikx
Orc
Orc

Post by Fizzikx » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:54 am

You guys are AWESOME =) Keep up the awesome suggestions!

One last thing - there will be 7 players this weekend for this puzzle. Not sure if that affects any of your guys designs as I havnt had a ton of time to get out the fine tooth comb yet.

Thanks so much to all submittals thus far!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 am

Thanks kite, I actually realized my idea was echoing that scene as I was writing it. It has never ceased to amaze me how many influences our creativity has, sometimes without our awareness. As to how to differentiate the outer and inner, suggestively, essentially. Phrases like "far east" for outer east, "western neighbor" for near west, or "my wine in my right hand as I watch the sunrise" for near south. The idea being the players have enough clues to figure each out, but generally not so much that it is instantly obvious.

The penalty giving a further clue helps to keep things moving so that the cool puzzle doesn't turn into a celebration of frustration for the players and the GM. I'd recommend a handout with the short work typed up or done fancy if you have time and inclination. It will save the GM's voice from many repetitions.

The final thing is that if you have the time and inclination you can also construct the poem/short story such that it references the campaign world; maybe even some specific NPCs, kingdoms, legends, etc. You can even sprinkle in hooks or clues for things to come if you feel really devious.

Edited one line for clarity.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm liking Lord Dusts idea a lot... Sort of reminds me of the Fifth Element...

The fact that trying the wrong thing would summon an elemental, gives a further clue (ie if you try to light the "fire" column with light, you end up fighting a fire elemental - try to light the "light" column with fire and you battle a lantern archon) i like the penalty guiding them to the solution.

How would this work with the inner/outer rings?
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Thwick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thwick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Details to above entry.

You enter the room. No sooner are all members of the party within, than the door slams shut. You hear a low hum and the hair on your body dances like before a lightning storm. In the dim you see a circle of columns, no, to concentric circles, atop each a pearl like globe almost luminescent in the dim.

If you touch a pole, the globe atop begins to glow. In the center of the inner ring, a diamond shape is scratched into the stone. The diamond is made up of nine diamonds. The center with a circle inscribed. The others have number runes from one to eight counting clockwise. At the point of number 1 is a column with an angelic figure upon it. At 5 a demonic one. Within the center cycle is inscribed the following: (oddly enough it rhymes in common)

"This cavern calls to wanderers, some of virtue some of vice.
And bestows on them great bounty or extracts an awful price,

Within will dance the maiden and without will dance the lad,
And in their swirling figures, the answer will be had.

So tally up your sins my friends, and let them be divided,
And light the candles grim my friends, let your fate be decided,

One without and one within defeat this dark device,
Light the wrong and all will die, some of virtue, some of vice."

To solve, the adventurers must find the value of their alignment on the clock and add them together males and females separately then divide by the number of party members of that gender. Common rounding rules apply and 5 always rounds up. Once both genders light their proper column the exit is revealed. If the do the wrong thing: bad stuff happens.