Oct-Dec 2007 Contest -- The Watery Cavern

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:42 pm

Purplesaber – the first photo shows a Very playable layout, I like those a lot, very nice and easy to use as GM layout me like.

DMJJ - Also very playable with a touch of elevation in some areas to give a diverse play area

L – Nice and it seems compact, but still very playable, with also a good usage of elevation to vary place area are and make different game effects.

Fiddy - Very nice well defined lake and river system leading into a good tunnel complex. This is one of the “sprawling ones” that makes others look compact next to.

Lonestar – another “sprawl” set up really good maximized usage of walls. Be it the free standing walls (or wall overhangs) from the river set in the rest of the layout, or the walls from the cavern set to do double duty, makes it look like there are more walls than in the set, great usage.

Blackhawk1 – Minimalist, imaginative not sure what to call it, seems to be a compact sprawl. The linkage makes it as nice you put out what is needed to get across the intent of the areas and let the players/ viewers fill in some of the other bits. Very good way to make a set up for disjointed parts of an adventure you can use it as linear or you could instead of saying it is linear you pop the minis into an area and have the encounter then off camera move to the now here you are area of the map. (Or at least I see this as a way to do this easy from your set up, others may not.)

Thoth – in your previous post you mention something about cheating “for cheating...I'll demonstrate or explain later perhaps”? What were talking about (6 images, using the log from the traps set) it’s later please explain. But on to the layout I really like that little pool formed by the 3 river corners, that leads into the main lake, and some great “off shoots” of the main area, which gives that kind of compact sprawl. The main lake is compact but things head off but come back.

Shadox – I like the lake, again compact and well contained but has a nice bank to that you have to get to with the stairs making a good division and interesting game play options.

shoesan great elevation, that is more of what I wanted to do but couldn’t figure out how to do it, have areas, under and around the lake where the water could flow into and out of, or the creatures could come from. Those in set up shots are great.

Will Hit page 3 later, got to go now…

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:14 pm

We have a winner!

We will announce the winner via newsletter late today or early Wednesday.

There were MANY outstanding entries -- and it was not easy to pick ONE. Thank you all for your entries.

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Thod » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:56 pm

Ghengis

I posted yesterday 'as is' as I would need some decent light / sunlight for my set-up - but will only have this on the weekend again. My build has a great lower level cavern - but to make photos you need at least some light from the side. At least this time around I finally managed to get some contributions in.

Actually - it worked quite well to let the children work out something first. That way I have everything ready for myself - and by the time daddy is allowed to build his design they have played for a day or two and a saturated - at least as far as I'm allowed to build something up and it isn't touched for 24 hours.

Just need to remember to add some extra 2 days for the kids next time. Wanted to start myself the same evening - and this was a no go ...

Thod

rogan9999

Post by rogan9999 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Yes I know it is late but wanted to put it where it belongs, had the date off, and problems with old account.

Lair of the Bone Crusher Tribe

A dank twisting passage leads off, but unlike many other orc tribes this one is not dark instead the Bone Crusher tribe lights torches so that the weaker races, like humans and elves can see in know the dread coming at them. The Entry way (photo1) is guarded by skeletal warriors created from the bodies of dead invaders, on more than one occasion an adventurer faces off against the animated remains of a former friend.
The deeper one goes into the caves the more dangerous it becomes, more foes guard the double back that has lead to many an ambush as the skeletons close in from one side and the warriors of the tribe from the other. If one manages to get past the walking dead and orcs at a choke point (photo2) the real battle begins. The Cleric to the Orc god of battle and death, the overall leader of the tribe has created a killing area for any who risk entering the home. Tables and benches barricade the entrance to living area. If one is able to pull down the barricade they find a quick death pin cushioned by arrows from the silent sentinels. Beyond the archers lie the living spaces of the orcs and their dead servants.
One first encounters a pool to drink from, dump waste in, bath in and get the occasion fresh fish from (hey they are orcs no one said that hygiene was high on their list of priorities) this small pool connects through the wall into a much larger lake so the water is refreshed a bit. To the Left of this pool and entry way Is a storage area where sacks of grain, and a few crates are kept safe and dry. But of more interest is what one finds if they go to the right, off to the other side.
To the right of the caverns entrance more dead adventures stand guard on a bridge that leads over the wall and a bit of a stream that was carved out by said water and into the lake proper. One must first get past the Skeletons, and beat by the Tribes Brute on the bridge, and then get by more skeletons on the other side. If one forgoes the challenge of the bridge they enter into the kitchen and eating area of the tribe, which is closely followed, by the communal area of the warriors. This long natural room lies along the side of the lake and houses the bulk of the orc population, hinted at is the passage to the leader of the tribes separate chamber. (Photo3).
If one manages to cross the bridge they enter into a large cavern filled with a deep foreboding lake, the right side of which leads deeper underground, from one gapping hole in the side of the wall, however beside that hole are two other smaller caves that are piled high with the tribes treasure, the most important treasures resting on a pedestal of natural stone. Curving around toward the wall opposite the bridge sits a small raft, used by whom ever dwells within the area behind the door. Perhaps it is the high priest of the tribe, a hired brute like a troll, or maybe it just leads further into the darkness of the underground. But what ever is behind that door is guarded by three lizard folk who swim about in the lake. Perhaps they know what causes the whirlpool in the center for no adventure has yet to return from the cavern and say, and the orcs don’t talk of it, Lastly on the opposite bank rest urns filled with a mixture of liquids, some are once rich wines (now a bit vinegary) used in religious services, others filled with blood for more darker arts, but much the same purpose. (Photo4 & photo5)

http://www.wardensofthestorm.com/photo1.JPG
http://www.wardensofthestorm.com/photo2.JPG
http://www.wardensofthestorm.com/photo3.JPG
http://www.wardensofthestorm.com/photo4.jpg
http://www.wardensofthestorm.com/photo5.jpg

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:38 pm

DOH!

So i was all at lunch today thinking about how i didn't like my write up, and had the brainstorm of why and how to fix it, so i decided to nip in and edit something on the text part... So i come in and see lots of activy and new posts in the thread... mainly on last minute entry stuff...
Silly brain didn't think that was right... and i was like what it doesn't end till Saturday the 15th... so i nip back to the first post and see.... "ooohh, that's the day the prizes is sent" or what not, it ended yesterday and i didn't have the eureka momnet till today... thinking i had yonks of time, and now that the stupid work projects that kept me busy the past two weeks are done i could think about it... oh well.

I will likely up date it when i post the other (the rest of the 15 or so i took) in the Cool pictures thread later... but won't change it now since the contest is over...
Stupid brain work... bangs head on table.

So hey WHO won, i want to make comments... :)

ScorchedEarth

Post by ScorchedEarth » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:14 am

Hi all -- here is a last minute entry from an occasional lurker.

I tried to do a couple unique things, you guys can judge if they were interesting or not. I decided not to incorporate lots of accessories -- I didn't see this as being appropriate to my concept. Without further ado:

The Bold Shall Inherit

Most is self explanatory, but some comments:
1) The lizardmen are performing the rather mundane task of chasing down their totem-door that unfortunately washed down the whirlpool into the lower level.
2) The shaman directing this task is suprised to see an orc!! -- who is the most nimble individual of a group spelunking in some tunnels connecting to tribal caves. The orc is equally suprised.
3) The lizardmen -- after suffering some losses -- no longer are curious about what the skeletons are guarding. Some ancient tomb? Human perhaps? or Orcish?
4) The tunnels and caves shown are only a small subset that snake through this area. Additional areas of interest include the lizardmen dwellings, the forgotten tomb and some areas that yet to be tread upon by a sentient species...

I think I used 100% of set pieces...Although many are hidden.

Hmm, hope this still qualifies -- it is still Dec 10 here in Mountain time USA! (DF knows my "ship to" address so this is easy to validate as non-BS... But I doubt that I'm even in the top 10, so probably doesn't matter.)

(Edited to make a comment about time and to note number of pieces...)