August 2007 Contest -- The Medieval Tavern/Inn

shoesan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by shoesan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:01 pm

OK, My Entry... the Miss Inn!

Its inspiration comes from and old first edition AD&D module called N1-Against the Cult of the Reptile God. The inn in that module was the Golden Grain inn. One of the rooms had a secret door in it that trogs used to sneak in at night and kidnap guests to be taken before a naga (the end of the module). I always loved that theme, so here it is, renamed the Miss Inn!

The pictures are "The Miss Inn" (overview), the Main Room (I really need to get the DF tables, not sure that 2x2 floors on shutters cuts it!), "Don't Go Up!" shows the rickety rail (and firewood by the fireplace!), "Door at the Top of the Stairs" (for those with the extra gold to afford a big room, wink wink), and "Sneak Attack"... they come to take your gold, and more, as judged by the skeletons on the floor...

Shoe

*** Edit: Thanks GS! That was it about picture order!

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:19 pm

shoesan(and anyone else who this bugs) the reason they never go in the order you put them in is i am pretty sure they get shuffled into Alpha Numeric order by the software. Don, Doo, M, S, T is how they are listed, and that is Alphabetical.

To get things to go in order i had to add numerics to all of my pictures of 01, 02, 03, 04,... 10 etc and then they come out right, i did a test once some time ago (after Stefans problems in the How to Fill in your Bow Ties-Demo where i uploaded and deleted a bunch of pictures in the pictures thread to try to see how it uploaded various pictures, i figured out if it is Alpa/numeric or Numeric/alpha (ie which it gives prefrence to, does it do letters then numbers or numbers then letters Stefan solved it by lettering them and it like yours displays them in alpha order) but that was back in January so i don't remember which it was now. The easist thing i found was just add a number or straight up number them and they get displayed in numeric order pretty much no matter how you put them in the line.

shoesan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by shoesan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 am

Good luck Myrthe! Hope you can get it close to the original without the cardboard! It will be a dandy entry...

Shoe

Myrthe
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Myrthe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:31 am

Myrthe... Man, your pics look great. Its HUGE! It looks like more than 3 sets (I am sure it isn't... it just carries that feel!). However, you should probably read the contest rules... especially Rule #3.

Shoe

Shoe -
Thank you. Yes, the pics are deceiving. The "footprint" is only 12" x 14" (or 6 x 7 of the DF modules). But what makes you think I didn't read the contest rules, though? Especially "Rule #3"? Was that the last comment about "posting to this thread"? As I said (and I've e-mailed Jeff, Doug and Stefan) for some reason the thread wasn't accepting photos. I posted under Cool Photos, where it worked, to submit before the deadline, and will continue to attempt to post here unless Doug relocates that one. As of last night, this thread still wouldn't accept photos.

EDIT... DOH > !!! THOSE rules !!! I was following the "rules" laid out in this thread and completely missed the general contest rules. DOH !!! So #3 states that cardboard to support a second story isn't allowed. I suppose, since the MBS Expansion comes with stairs, a two-story assembly is a possibility. Without the cardboard, it's not self-supporting, but, for game play, the layouts would be next to each other. There is no interaction between the floors other than the stairwell (no balconies, overhangs, etc). Thanks for pointing that out Shoe. If I have a chance, I'll redo the set-up with the floors laid side-by-side and retake the same pictures? Who knows, maybe I'll just come up with something else ;)

- M

Just tried it again ... no go ...

... and again (2 hours later) ... still nope

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 am

I wish I had more time, which is pathetic given how long we've had. But time slipped away from me, as I've been preparing for so much in the coming year. Today and tomorrow I have orientation for law school, so I suppose my contest entry is gonna have to be squeezed in somehow around that!

With my wife going out of town to visit her mom, at least it gives me the opportunity to take a lot out and leave it out....

L

shoesan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by shoesan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:43 am

I will be submitting my entry soon, but I wanted to comment on the ones in so far...

Dante... looks great! You really should post those pictures in the Cool Photos section... then take out all the stuff that isn't supposed to be used in the contest and enter 5 photos of it, so you would still be eligilble. Its a cool layout, and the Cool Photos section would still get across everything you wanted without affecting your contest entry. Or, do what I did last time... take pics of it without the extras, post them for the contest, and then AFTER the contest is over, post the pics WITH the extra stuff to show how you originally designed it.

GS... I too love the "semi-private" sleeping quarters! Awesome! The hidden cache of treasure is cool too. You just gotta love that bookshelf piece!

Myrthe... Man, your pics look great. Its HUGE! It looks like more than 3 sets (I am sure it isn't... it just carries that feel!). However, you should probably read the contest rules... especially Rule #3.

Shadox... looking forward to seeing your entry, whenever it is!

Shoe

Shadox
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Shadox » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:21 am

Hello Stefan and Jeff,

I have been holding off reading these posts due to the fact I want to enter. In fact my wife is typing this for me so I do not see any photos by mistake. Since my DF stuff has been packed for over a month now I was wondering if I could enter late. The move took longer than expected so I will not be able to unpack my stuff until the weekend. I could have it unpacked and setup by late saturday. If not I understand rules are rules.

' My Husband had a whole song and dance written for me to type. I am tired and do not feel like typing. I am stopping now as I got his message across. You guys and your toys '

Signed,
His Wife

Myrthe
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Myrthe » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:57 am

I seem to be having trouble posting pictures to this thread ... I added my submission to the "Cool Photos" thread.

I'm happy that I'm not a complete moron and was at least able to post somewhere :D

GS ??? Did you manage to hack in and lock out any entries after yours so you'd win again :lol: Very nice set up, BTW ... I really like the semi-private "cells" you made with the corner pieces. I'll definitely be using that in future set ups. Good luck !!

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Ryan’s Rest

A Tavern and Inn purchased by the retired and inexperienced adventurer Ryan after his band succeeded in taking young a dragon’s hoard. He built a two story tavern and inn along one of the well traveled roads that adventurers travel.
The main room of the tavern is set up with several tables where the dinners can sit and enjoy a good meal, and listen to performers on a small stage. Many adventure ring bards will perform there telling their tales of adventure, by the stage is a set of stairs leading up to a second level with guest rooms.
Off of the main dinning room, and in it Ryan has areas where travelers can rest. The cheap adventurers, poor travelers or locals can sleep in the common dinning room for a few coppers. If they want a little more privacy there is a section with cheap stall rooms where the hay and bedding are changed regularly and travelers and adventurers can still have inexpensive lodging but with a bit of privacy.
Off the back, where a bar is being planned for a later upgrade sits Ryan’s room and the kitchens. From his room there is a trap door into the cellar where more supplies and rumors say his share of the treasure is hidden.
Also in the back area are single rooms that can be rented that allow maximum privacy and the best accommodations.
Lastly as a nod to his old adventuring days there is a special room that is typically rented by adventure ring companies, that Ryan dubbed “the Heroes Room”. It is big enough to hold four to six and all of their loot. He typically does not provide plush beds; instead the adventures use their gear, but do like the added amenities and security of a safe campsite. The room has a few security features that many like, a quick exit or entrance through a secret door in a bookshelf if there is trouble, and limited access.
Currently the Tavern is in an odd state, coins are left on the table it looks like from an in progress card game, the Heroes room is full of loot, but no heroes, and there are no patrons, and even Ryan and his wife are missing, the scene looks set for something to happen, or has happened… perhaps a band of adventures can explore the mystery…

Dante
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Dante » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 pm

Well, I know I won't qualify because of all of the non-DF accessories that I have in my current setup, but here are my "submissions" ;-}~

http://www.purgatorio.com/malachais_coh ... 4-036.html
http://www.purgatorio.com/malachais_coh ... 4-041.html
http://www.purgatorio.com/malachais_coh ... 5-046.html
http://www.purgatorio.com/malachais_coh ... 6-049.html

Here's an "overview" of the current table setup I'm running:
http://www.purgatorio.com/malachais_coh ... ssp004.jpg