Nov-Dec 2009 Photo Contest -- The Realm of the Ancients!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:28 pm

I really like DaggerdaleDM's use of diagonals.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks as well GS. I don;t normally play sci-fi, but for setups like yours, I'd be honored!

Myrthe
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Myrthe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Congratulations all !!! Those were some great and inspiring set ups !!!

Ghenghis, thanks for the invite. Sounds great to me and I look forward to the game !!

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Post by dudebird » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Right on!

Thanks DF and everybody who entered.

There is lots of good stuff here.

@Richens - I like your elevated area with the diagonal pieces. Could be an entry point or access to different dungeon level.

@GS - Killer. Earned it. Love your elevated area & meditation chambers. Great use of economics with the negative space.

@Wweist - Ingenious use of the rotating walls with the diagonals behind. Best aesthetic look I've seen with those pieces in both positions.

@Gdmcbride - I love the madness inducing shape and hideous geometry of the set up. You got me thinking about a DOE & ROTA set-up...

DaggerdaleDM
Orc
Orc

Post by DaggerdaleDM » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Ah THANK YOU! This was a nice surprise. When I pulled out of my garage this morning my car left a trail of oil with a HUGE puddle of oil where I had it warming up. Then the smoke started pooring out from under the hood. That can't be good. So, new travel to work arrangements made, tow truck paid I await the bad news. This is great news! Thank you again. And thank you for running the contest.

Great entries everyone.! My players will benefit from your creativity.

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks Jeff and Steffan!

Now I can put up the pictures I took of this with Minis in it, and a few extra Terrain Details that Aren't DF.
I also have a Fully detailed Adventure (right now about 25 pages but it's still getting tweeked), that goes with thi layout. I'll post by the end of the month (it may get used if Thod comes over so don't want to put it up yet).

Open Invitation to Mike (Myrthe) to come and join in a game on the set up and anyone else in the area (Harneloot Hartfod at the Time Machine should be about equal distance for both of us). I would actually like to run the adventure that this goes with.

I'll post comments about the others later, got to get back to work.

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 am

WINNERS ANNOUNCED !!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a tough one! Thank you all for entering. These photos give me lots of good adventuring ideas, and hopefully a lot of fun will be inspired here.

We gave out a lot of options, so it is harder to pick the top entry. After a little dice rolling, we have determined the following placement:

1st Place - Ghenghis Ska ($200 GC)

2nd Place - dudebird ($100 GC)

3rd Place - Daggerdale DM ($50 GC)

I am emailing out the coupon codes to the winners now.

Thanks again for posting your designs and photos. We all appreciate the effort!

DaggerdaleDM
Orc
Orc

Post by DaggerdaleDM » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:06 pm

The 4x4 intersections scream for a corresponding 4x4 floor piece. Especially for those who love to stack(me).

That is a very good idea!

Purplesaber
Orc
Orc

Post by Purplesaber » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:01 pm

These entries are all really creative and inspiring! Good luck everyone...looking forward to see who Jeff and Stefan pick.

DaggerdaleDM
Orc
Orc

Post by DaggerdaleDM » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

dudebird & Harneloot- Glad you liked it.

it would be great to see the Face Card Dungeon you described!

The sword in the stone or anvil is a pretty powerful image and easily recognized. Throw a little chaos into the mix and you can't help but come up with 101 trap and puzzle ideas with a dungeon like this. Steal away! I get my best setups for my games by starting with setups I see on these forums. This one came to me while looking at a sword my son had. You could easily play with the sword in the anvil as not an actual sword in an avil but as a metaphor for this dungeon. Game on!