Nov-Dec 2009 Photo Contest -- The Realm of the Ancients!

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Post by dudebird » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 pm

DaggerdaleDM,

That's a really cool idea. I'm going to borrow a couple of those ideas. I once tried to make a sprawling dungeon crawl that was shaped like a face card in a deck, with two symmetrical torsos & heads holding different weapons. The center had a portal to an undisclosed otherworld. Never photographed or used it, but it was fun to try.

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Post by dudebird » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Very nice seaside villa Dudebird!!! It is quite inspirational. What inspired you to build it that way? Just curious 'cause I need some ideas, too.

Thanks!

I've been telling one character in my Wilderlands game about an ancient Ghinoran villa he's dreamt about repeatedly. With the design style of RoTA I figured that'd be a good idea to start with. I googled Greek villas and took a little inspiration from them and just started mashing the pieces together to see what I came up with.

The 4x4 intersections scream for a corresponding 4x4 floor piece. Especially for those who love to stack(me).

The diagonal pathway leading to the dock came quite organically as I didn't like the look of the square pathway when I first made it.

I didn't even think to use MBS until I thought of the dock, but the railings look damn good on the veranda. I wish I had another set...

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 pm

The winners will be announced soon!

THOTH
Orc
Orc

Post by THOTH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Enjoyed the setups - nice variety - and all good. I wanted to enter but have been ill (better now). Perhaps someday (soon?) I'll put something together along the lines of the contest rules...shame to miss this one - I have all the necessary sets!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Great layout and story - Bravo!

DaggerdaleDM
Orc
Orc

Post by DaggerdaleDM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Realm of the Ancients Set (2)
Realm of the Ancients 2 Set
Straight Wall with Medallion (1 pc)
Ruined Entrance (1 pc)
Short Passages Set
Diagonal Walls Set

The Sword of Law, the Star of Chaos and the Anvil of Might.

Ah so you want to brave the tri-fold challenge of Angaurus? Five times I entered that deathtrap. Five times I escaped. The last time I lost my right arm. And I never got past the hilt of the sword. If you are determined to risk life and limb, for that surely is what you will loose if you enter that place, bring friends that are bright as well as strong. And bring the sort that are extra cautious. You know, the ones that rent a room for the night at an inn, then sleep somewhere else, just to be safe. You need thinkers like that if you hope to survive. You also may want to talk to old Mad Hancock. He made it all the way to the Star of Chaos. Be gentle with him or you'll set him off. I never did figure out how he got that far. Oh, and he was the sole survivor of his adventuring band too, if you call that surviving.

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Due to the poor condition of the site over the weekend, I am extending the contest until Tuesday, Noon Central time. After that we will make the tough choice!

Sorry for the delay...but at least one person has been trying to get his entry in.

Thanks.

dndgamer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dndgamer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Very nice seaside villa Dudebird!!! It is quite inspirational. What inspired you to build it that way? Just curious 'cause I need some ideas, too.

Thanks for posting and good luck on the contest.
--Semper Fidelis

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Post by dudebird » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:44 pm

I almost missed this one. Figured it'd be bad taste to repost my ziggurat, so I whipped this one up. The inside is playable but I've gotta get going and don't wanna photograph it. Gonna use it tomorrow though, so will post inside pictures if I remember.

I just used a MBS expansion in addition to the 2 RoTA and 3 RoTA II that I own.

Damn! Just thought of other ways to tweak it, but oh well.

Enjoy

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Post by dudebird » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:40 pm

The Seaside Villa

The sorcerer huddled into a cramped bunk while a biting wind blew through the cold north. He was haunted by dreams of a villa nestled on a calm lagoon that was flanked by treacherous reefs and cliffs. The clear tropical air was warm with the smell of salt and sulphur and reminded him of his university days in the southlands.

He tied his sloop to the rotted pier that rudely jutted out into the lagoon.

As he approached he noticed alien glyphs that told of knowledge long forgotten and buried in antiquity.

He passed through chambers and felt himself compelled up the stairs on the veranda.

Some strange sense of familiarity lead him onward toward the cyclopian tower that loomed above him.

Always the dream would end with a wave of revulsion as he cast a last glance over the ruined villa.