Nov-Dec 2009 Photo Contest -- The Realm of the Ancients!

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:31 am

Heck, I don't have all of the stuff but that is in no way going to stop me from trying, and tossing my hat in with an entry...

Heck the allowance of any two other sets has got me doing some very interesting thoughts on using them for something that in the past has tended to be a bit tricky in the contests this might solve it very nicely, and still be a very usefull part of the set up. But not sure if it will work or not... have to clear off my kitchen table and do somethinking about Just what I want to set up, the first idea is forming in my head but it needs time to percolate.

DaggerdaleDM
Orc
Orc

Post by DaggerdaleDM » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:46 am

I don't have all of the sets but I am going to enter anyways. I liked it that they allow two other sets to be included. Look at it as a challenge to use what you have.

crioux
Orc
Orc

Post by crioux » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 am

I also understand that is is done for promotion. Promoting older sets is not the goal.

:(

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Thod » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:48 am

Jeff

In setting up the contests it would be good to ask the question - are there enough people around cappable to fullfill the entrance criteria. It would be a shame if the contest would become one where only a selected few could participate. i just paid the customs duty for my parcels including the three Hellscape sets to ensure I have the limited piece. All I can say - ouch - it hurts.
I do have three sets each of the RotA sets - but one of each set is still un-opened on my loft - in case I sell it to someone else. 3 sets are A LOT.

ALL

Having said the above - the rules state 'up to 3 sets'. Surely - there is an advantage to have more sets. But from post experience let me just say the following:

Larger set-ups using multiple sets get more and more difficult to photograph. Often the most stunning pictures are zoom-in with just limited pieces shown. You only are allowed a set number of pictures - therefore you can't add zoom-ins for every interesting piece of your lay-out.

I'm not convinced that the painted piece actually is a great asset. Yes - it is a great individual piece - it is stunning. But how do you combine one great stunning piece with a lot of others - more greyish. And if you painted most of your set (I'm thinking of L) you might not be able to use these pieces (Jeff, Stefan - could you clarify this. I presonally wouldn't mind if L or others use painted pieces - but to my re-collection of the rules they would disallow such pieces).

I hope several members here will take part even with limited sets.

Surely someone having everything is at an advantage. It makes it easier. But size on it's own won't win you the contest. Actually I hope a layout with less pieces will make it to the top - or at least in to the top three.

I'm not sure I will break open my third boxes (and de-value them in case I don't keep them) just to take part.

Thod

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Me too Crioux.
I only have 1 rota set of each and the best pieces :

->Straight Wall with Medallion (1 pc)
->Deluxe 4" x 4" Intersection (1 pc)
->Ruined Entrance (1 pc)

...aren't available to order so I'm out once again even if I have all others sets.

(I would kill to get those extra pieces because without the rota has no charm it's ... grey)

crioux
Orc
Orc

Post by crioux » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:55 am

Arg! why is it always sets that I don't have yet!

Most of the time, I have to wait a year or two before I can have enough money to buy a few sets at the time (to save on shipping).

I was only able to participate in 1 contest.

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:47 pm

From the rules section:

6) All set-ups should be placed on a non-descript surface so as not to detract from the set-up.

Does this include/exclude mats like the ones pictured below?

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 7462_n.jpg

I think it's fine.

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Post by dudebird » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 pm

From the rules section:

6) All set-ups should be placed on a non-descript surface so as not to detract from the set-up.

Does this include/exclude mats like the ones pictured below?

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Post by dudebird » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:05 pm

And I already posted my lovely ziggurat. Drat. I should've been patient.

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 pm

The mind begins to ponder.....

(oh and it was Jeff's 1000th post!)