May 2007 Contest -- The Den of Evil!

THOTH
Orc
Orc

Post by THOTH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks shoesan. I'm planning on taking some more pics tommorow - maybe I'll get some better ones. Unfortunatly my wife is travelling with our camera so I'm using my sons that doesn't have a zoom or any manual controls. I've just been looking over all the other (er em - the actual) entries with my kids just now and everyone has done some really creative things. Our consensus was that your and Aubry's setup were the most cool - but a really tough call as each had its unique aspect/take on the DOE theme. And both of your photography was outstanding. I tried to not be influenced by anyone prior - so I really hadn't looked much at the entries. I must say the DOE room set is a must (I only got one - but its enough to do the trick - though I'm tempted to pick up another - I think it would be most helpful for multilevel setups). Yeah - the scuplts on this set - the detail - the overall these - everything is just awesome and first rate. With the room set its now much more versatle and (finally truly) playable.

shoesan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by shoesan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:05 pm

Wow Thoth... that first pic blew me away! Make sure you get in the next contest!

Shoe

THOTH
Orc
Orc

Post by THOTH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:20 pm

Congrats to all the winners! All great set-ups. Well I couldn't do a set up in time to make the contest deadline - so it goes. But I just took down my large DOE/water cavern setup earlier today and decided to try a DOE setup using one of each DOE set. OK - I embellished a bit with non-DF stuff (though I supose I could shoot it without those as well..but I haven't yet). Lets see if I can get the pics to post up...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/ ... 5703f6.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/ ... 31275b.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/ ... 612e67.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/ ... f1c77f.jpg

shoesan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by shoesan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:06 pm

For anyone that is interested, I am posting a couple of pics of my setup with the DDM I was using to give me the feel of how I wanted my version of a Temple of Evil. Since the entryway featured the Bull/Demon heads, I took that to be minotaurs. I imagined the Temple being at the end of a labrynth, so of course minotaurs greet the party in the entrance hall. Then I had "Grell Surprise", the Spectre's Treasure, The Entry to the Test of Fire (guarded by elementals), the Temple itself (in the middle of a ritual to summon a barbed devil), and the dungeons below where useless prisoners are sent as food for the inhabitants below. Here are the shots...

Since I realized early on that DDM was not going to be allowed in the pics (for reasons that I totally agree with), I didn't take too many pics, and the ones I did take didnt turn out as well. Since they couldnt be used, I didnt bother trying to take better ones, but in retrospect, I wish I would have. My personal favorite part is the two drow picking rats off of the rat swarm pile to put in the cauldron in order to "feed" the summoned fire elemental.

Shoe

shoesan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by shoesan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:51 pm

Stefan,

That is really interesting to me that you picked the gem wall pic as the best. I also liked it the best, but I thought the Test of Fire shot was the one that actually. It showed off the cool aspect of using the fire (ie not using it in the cauldrons) AND somehow I got lucky and got that really cool statue in the shot as well... the statue looks so sinister in that photo I started to wonder what the focus of the shot should be! But, that being said, I too liked the gem wall one the best. When I saw that the contest was featuring DOE, I instantly thought that whatever I did, I needed to somehow show off the gem wall, because it is one of my favorite (if not THE favorite) pieces in the DOE line. After I set it up, I was also getting some great light reflection from it as well. That piece is SO friggan cool! Anyways, I went with the "View from the altar" shot. I wanted to include as much of the book as I could, cover the fire, and still get in the main point of the shot... the gem wall through the doorway. Its really a weird illusion because the gem wall is on level 1 (at the foot of the stairs), but the fire and altar and stuff is all on level 2. The thing that really throws it off is the two walls to either side of the doorway. They are also on level 2, framing the room that the doorway leads to. Those walls effectively block everything else from level 1 (which they should), leaving just the gem portion of the wall from level 1 filling the open doorway.

It is amazing what people can do with these pieces. Every setup looks "expert", and I think its mostly because the pieces are so well designed, you can't help but make something amazing just by putting them together! In my mind, Stefan wins the contest!

Shoe

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:17 pm

Thats just awesome - EVERYONE gets something!!!!

This is the only company I know of that would run a contest, and then, on top of it, give out EXTRA prizes!

Totally awesome!!!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Really great stuff, guys -- congrats to the winners, you really deserved it. This was a really fun contest, and it was a blast to see how creative everyone was with this set.

Looking forward to the next one!

L

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I want to thank everyone again for submitting so many really unique and creative set-ups...
Every single entry had something kool or interesting about it, and so many things I had never really thought about doing before.
In the end we just couldn't decide on one firm runaway winner. Therefore, we picked 4 entries that seemed to stand out in our minds for the particular reasons stated.
I hope that others feel as I do, my feeling is that everyone was really a winner here. Even the people who didn't submit anything, because they obviously got to feast on so many great and unique ideas to stimulate their own home cooked game sessions....

Looking forward to the next designs!

Thank you all!

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:36 pm

PS -- Hey Jeff, I'm curious as to "which" single picture was picked by you guys from Shoesan's entry. I loved shot #5 the best, but was curious if you picked out one of the layout angles he presented.

~Best regards

This picture shows the "Magic Circle" from the T-shaped passage sort of floating beyond a doorway...it took me a while to make sense of just how he photographed it and then realized it was the angle and probably a zoom lens optical effect...it was really Kool and in keeping with the planar feel of the DOE stuff...the trail of fire thing is kool too...

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:34 pm

shoesan it's up already June 2007 Contest -- The Medieval Tavern/Inn, but it now ends at the end of August instead of just June.

Well thanks everyone on the kind words from before, and to Jeff and Stefan for giving everyone a prize.

I honestly thought i didn't stand a chance there were some really killer setups posted by others in here, I was sure it was going to go to some one else, Shadox, GM McBride, Harneloot , zoonat, Aubrey, L , shoesan 95svtcobra, mcwulf or Grimlok, basically anyone else there were some great things in the other set ups.

I just had fun making it.

I was so sure at lunch that i wasn't going to make the cut i was already starting to doodle on what i wanted to do for the MBS one... But with more time i can finally set up the Sci-Fi one i want to do with all of my freshly painted Daleks :D

Cool and congrats to the everyone.