Cavern Test paint

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Cavern Test paint

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm

nielsene wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:29 pm
Thanks went ahead and tried to track down the colors you listed originally.

Am I correct in reading your color card that there's no base coat, just muddled drybrushing, accents and lighter drybrushing?
You are correct. I did the first color with a very heavy hand. It didn't need a full base coat, just a foundation of a reddish color.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks went ahead and tried to track down the colors you listed originally.

Am I correct in reading your color card that there's no base coat, just muddled drybrushing, accents and lighter drybrushing?

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm

nielsene wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:17 am
LadySabelle wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 pm
I am still sculpting for the PM. Just sent off a box of stuff today. One more big piece and I can get back to the Hedges!! It will be nice to get them done and start the casting for the Overlook maze and Labyrinth display. I plan to enlist my husband for casting monkey. ;)
Necro-ing an ancient thread (and quoting just to generate the notification)...

I really love the redstone color theme and am thinking about giving it a try, I was wondering, if you were to do it again, would you swap/replace any of the paints you used for any of the expanded line of Porkony Paints?
Best answer I could give is "maybe." I'd have to play with the colors to really know. I did some experiments on Hirst Art's cavern pieces before touching brush to Dwarvenite, but the results weren't the same because of the differences in texture between the two. I was thinking of doing test painting on an Erinthor mountain set. If/when I do, I will post pictures and a color chart.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:17 am

LadySabelle wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 pm
I am still sculpting for the PM. Just sent off a box of stuff today. One more big piece and I can get back to the Hedges!! It will be nice to get them done and start the casting for the Overlook maze and Labyrinth display. I plan to enlist my husband for casting monkey. ;)
Necro-ing an ancient thread (and quoting just to generate the notification)...

I really love the redstone color theme and am thinking about giving it a try, I was wondering, if you were to do it again, would you swap/replace any of the paints you used for any of the expanded line of Porkony Paints?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Re:Cavern Test paint

Post by GODofwar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:13 am

LadySabelle wrote:I tried out a new color scheme. I was going for a red rock look and after the first couple of colors, I was sure it was a complete failure. Then I did the final dry brushing of Khaki and the whole thing was transformed. I added a few traces of gold, a bit of flocking, a touch of Sepia ink and some floor polish to give it a wet look. And this is the results. What do you think?

Love this color scheme, Lady Sabelle.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Est - especially Castle Builder[/
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:07 pm

LadySabelle wrote:I am still sculpting for the PM. Just sent off a box of stuff today. One more big piece and I can get back to the Hedges!! It will be nice to get them done and start the casting for the Overlook maze and Labyrinth display. I plan to enlist my husband for casting monkey. ;)
I look forward to he maze and hedges. Your husband will have to do; the cat does not look interested.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est -especially this one.
WeaselWarGod

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 pm

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 pm

LadySabelle wrote:
GODofwar wrote: I wish I believed I could do a decent standard job with easy techniques - b/c I have KS1 and KS2 sitting waiting, and plenty of labor (like 14 older kids) to help do it.

I'm still depressed. :(

Do you think castles are harder, easier or the same to paint, compared to KS1 & 2? (I don't worry about KS3, I bought painted)

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - especially this one
I'm sorry you're depressed. Painting is a calming pastime which can relieve depression.

Castles should be pretty easy to paint, easier than caverns. But the decorative elements will be harder. So if you're afraid to paint them, I suggest getting painted accessories and unpainted castles. It shouldn't be too hard to do the castle dry brushing and it will stretch your pledging dollars. Castles will only be 4-5 steps for the factory paint scheme and you'll be sure to have a more even paint job if you do it yourself.
TLW- I'm always depressed by not being able to do something. My professions tend to be so absorbing one doesn't get outside them unless one works at it. As a result if one is decent in one's work, one develops the delusion he's good at everything....painting brings home the harsh truth of that! Actually DOING painting is, as you say, soothing. Unless the result is awful....

I'm very good with words and reason, pretty awful with art. I am mostly convinced by your expert advice that the castle and KS1-2 could be done reasonably quickly. Boy, would it save $$ to get unpainted castles.

Thank you for your advice, kind Lady Sabelle.

Have you recovered enough to restore home and art to a semblance of reality? Or are you sucked into the PM and fulfillment ends of things?

Jenney has virtually disappeared. I think she has a lot of real world work to catch up on!

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:03 pm

GODofwar wrote: I wish I believed I could do a decent standard job with easy techniques - b/c I have KS1 and KS2 sitting waiting, and plenty of labor (like 14 older kids) to help do it.

Do you think castles are harder, easier or the same to paint, compared to KS1 & 2? (I don't worry about KS3, I bought painted)

The Least Weasel
I'm sorry you're depressed. Painting is a calming pastime which can relieve depression.

Castles should be pretty easy to paint, easier than caverns. But the decorative elements will be harder. So if you're afraid to paint them, I suggest getting painted accessories and unpainted castles. It shouldn't be too hard to do the castle dry brushing and it will stretch your pledging dollars. Castles will only be 4-5 steps for the factory paint scheme and you'll be sure to have a more even paint job if you do it yourself.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:12 pm

LadySabelle wrote:
GODofwar wrote:Good Lady Sabelle, your work is depressing. Because I will never have it can't reproduce it.

Lovely.

The Least Weasel
It's only a little more involved than the standard painting for DF. True, there are quite a few more steps, but it's still mostly just dry brushing. I even provided the colors I use. Time consuming, but easy.
\
I wish I believed I could do a decent standard job with easy techniques - b/c I have KS1 and KS2 sitting waiting, and plenty of labor (like 14 older kids) to help do it.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”