Sewer request

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Sewer request

Post by Audles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:41 pm

jackattack wrote:Sewers date back to ancient Rome, which included not only underground passages for drainage but lead pipes.

Sanitation was pretty much a lost technology by the Medieval Era, and was rediscovered as urban centers became larger and more densely populated.

According to some minimal reading I've done, Medieval sewers were typically very small, maybe a foot high and one or two wide. More like crawl spaces than underground canals.

On the other hand, Paris is famous for its grand and spacious sewers. And who can forget Phillipe "the Mouse"s escape (and return) through the sewers of Aquila?

Big sewers are not historically accurate. Nor are wide hallways and full-size doors in dungeons, or lizard-men or ratlings, but I don't mind those either.
+1

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:00 pm

malagrin wrote:Awesome idea Oldent. Also I was thinking since The Least Weasel is a fan of the garderobe piece for DF maybe we could give him the new title of "Groom of the stool"!

TLW-THANK. YOU. VERY. MUCH. MALAGRIN. I have titles already, thank you. And you lack real authority to bestow. And I argue you have no apparent authority so I choose not to believe you!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:53 pm

cool info, thanks for posting.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Sewers date back to ancient Rome, which included not only underground passages for drainage but lead pipes.

Sanitation was pretty much a lost technology by the Medieval Era, and was rediscovered as urban centers became larger and more densely populated.

According to some minimal reading I've done, Medieval sewers were typically very small, maybe a foot high and one or two wide. More like crawl spaces than underground canals.

On the other hand, Paris is famous for its grand and spacious sewers. And who can forget Phillipe "the Mouse"s escape (and return) through the sewers of Aquila?

Big sewers are not historically accurate. Nor are wide hallways and full-size doors in dungeons, or lizard-men or ratlings, but I don't mind those either.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

malagrin
Goblin
Goblin

Post by malagrin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Awesome idea Oldent. Also I was thinking since The Least Weasel is a fan of the garderobe piece for DF maybe we could give him the new title of "Groom of the stool"!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 pm

malagrin wrote:Not that there is much historical significance in all things DF makes but are sewer pipes realistic to a fantasy/medieval setting?

I was thinking about a scene from a 1949 movie, The Third Man and the Sci Fi movie Them

But you're right. I do not think sewers were very large out side of Rome. I found some giant ants at the dollar store so Giant sewers here we come.

Ants and sewers and flamethrowers Oh my :lol:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

malagrin
Goblin
Goblin

Post by malagrin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:10 pm

By the way I was reading some interesting things on sewers in medieval times and came across "
Etiquette books (1530-1700s):
Erasmus (1530): It is impolite to greet someone who is urinating or defecating.
The Gallant Ethic (1700): If you see someone relieving themselves, you should act as if you had not seen them!
Larger European cities: dreadful filth and stench were evident almost everywhere.
Certain castles had garderobes (a.k.a. latrines, gongs, or jakes) installed; they drained into cesspits beneath the castle, or directly -- via "free-fall" or by masonry shafts -- into the moats.
Cesspools for human wastes were frequently placed under the floors (often made of wood) of castles. In 1183, when the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire held a Diet in the Palace of Efurt, the floor of the main hall broke; many of the dinner guests fell into the cesspool and drowned; luckily, the Emperor survived. A similar event occurred in England in 1326: Richard the Raker had just been seated for a meal when the wood floor gave way -- drowning him.
Certain more well-to-do people used chamber pots (a.k.a. jordans) and kept them in small cupboards (called close-stools) padded with velvet and/or decorated with gold/silver. Some people had servants (called "Grooms of the Stool") whose job was to clean/maintain the chamber pots".

Morbidly hilarious that people drowned falling into cesspools of waste located below the floorboards.
Last edited by malagrin on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malagrin
Goblin
Goblin

Post by malagrin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Not that there is much historical significance in all things DF makes but are sewer pipes realistic to a fantasy/medieval setting?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:10 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:Second request to Stefan :

real corners for the sewer set
pipelines
bridge with stairs
water tiles
large pilars
:?: What is a real corner?

I have just started painting my set. I am still trying to decide how to use it and how much more to buy.

by AnimeSensei » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:54 pm

And the ability to make larger sluice pools.

I am not sure what you mean. Wider :?:

Stefan likes drawings.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:11 am

Why not maybe give the guy a break while he and team are getting everything finalized for the huge and complicated KS that just ended?