Are we playing games?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Are we playing games?

Post by GODofwar » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:31 pm

arsthein wrote:Although what you say is true, man... verbs... and gender in every word... in english "the" works every time. And while in english you have to learn irregular verbs, is sooo much easier... verbs in spanish are hell.

In KS4 I've taken ramparts, a couple of long walls, a couple of small tower round crenellations, a cathedral roof, 1 add-on of small round tower roofs, and may be a couple of roof square platforms. I think that, with that minimum stuff, and working with the classic stuff, I can manage castle situations well, as I will play them. I don't plan to escape the pledge manager unscathed though... XD
TLW-Man, you are far more disciplined than I am....

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - especially this one
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:30 pm

arsthein wrote:Although what you say is true, man... verbs... and gender in every word... in english "the" works every time. And while in english you have to learn irregular verbs, is sooo much easier... verbs in spanish are hell.

In KS4 I've taken ramparts, a couple of long walls, a couple of small tower round crenellations, a cathedral roof, 1 add-on of small round tower roofs, and may be a couple of roof square platforms. I think that, with that minimum stuff, and working with the classic stuff, I can manage castle situations well, as I will play them. I don't plan to escape the pledge manager unscathed though... XD
TLW-Amen, brother. Doom for all our wallets. I've already promised jay I'm in for $2k. I hope that's all...

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Although what you say is true, man... verbs... and gender in every word... in english "the" works every time. And while in english you have to learn irregular verbs, is sooo much easier... verbs in spanish are hell.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

!

Post by GODofwar » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:17 pm

I think Spanish is easier than English. English has so darn many exceptions, there really are no rules! The US Defense Languages Institute says English and Arabic are tied for second hardest language groups after all the Chinese tonal languages. I will never trust a language where a word with an uplifting tone means 'mother-in-law' and the same word with a down tone means 'horsefly'. Too many chances to go wrong.

Anyway, if Eldest Offspring would just get in gear, we could talk at home.

What did you decide for a KS4 buy, Arsthein? I'm still pondering.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - especially this one.
WeaselWarGod

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Hehe, I understand perfectly, I consider spanish a difficult language when compared to english, not like Japanese or Chinese, but I tell you man, It was more difficult for me as a child to study my own native language in school than studying english to a decent level of communication as a kid. I guess reading a lot of super hero comics kind of helps (=D> and in the long run, when internet kicked in, being in forums, watching podcasts, etc, english is everywhere if you are a game/fantasy nerd like me.

Tell him to not worry too much, I think people is nice enough over here to try to understand you, and in the city it's not rare that somebody speaks a little of english (well, you know, like everywhere else, there are every kind of jerks too), but as a rule of thumb I wouldn't worry too much.

But I have to tell you, we have so many outside people at the big cities that I sometimes I walk my old neighbourhood and nobody is speaking my language XD.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Hey, Arsthein, hope all is well where you are...still trying to get Eldest Offspring to opt for a semester in your location next year! I think he's afraid his langauge skills won't cut it. Not realizing that most of the point is to GET good language skills!

Que sera, sera.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - but especially this one
WeaselWarGod

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Yep, not critizicing anybody (wow, does that word spells like that?), just to give my 2 cents, I had a an issue with an order several years ago, in which some individual pieces where wrong. They sent me the right ones without asking to return the wrong ones... now I have both... and in kickstarter 3 I got 2 crossbowmen without the shield in their back. I said that it would do to send me the shields and I would glue them. They sent me 2 new crossbowmen, now I have 2 extra, ok, they have a minor fault but... come on! that's just freakin' awesome customer service.

Thank you DF!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:29 am

GODofwar wrote: I have never had them question my integrity
This is the main thing for me, and it kinda rubs me wrong when people seem to question DF's integrity as I have always found them to be brimming over with integrity.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:21 am

GODofwar wrote: I am an ornery critter, folks. I got my nickname for a reason. One time a big corp decided I owed them money and would not listen to my proofs they were nuts (I had never dealt with 'em!). So I tape recorded conversations with everybody right up to the CEO, then took them to small claims court and subpoenaed IIRC 32 people, including the entire executive suite. This was a Fortune 100 company, amigos, whose HQ just happened to be in my city. I shut that HQ down for an entire day. Just because they screwed with me. Evidence, I trust, I'm not above being a grade-A hole.
Wow you made my day with that story. I hope you won after all that.

Too bad that most big corporations that anyone is likely to have a beef with does NOT have their headquarters in your hometown, let alone your state. It sucks that it is impossible to sue in small claims over state lines (part of why selling on Ebay is risky, etc).

And by the way, after watching People's Court for a few years, I've learned about two party consent for recording conversations on the phone (which I assume you did). Some states like my wonderful California require both parties' consent for the tape recording to be legal. You must be in one of the special one party consent states GODofwar.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 am

Blue Prophet wrote:I don't think that DF is manipulating inventory. I think they got a shipment and/or adjusted the inventory amounts in the webstore just as KS4 ended.

During KS4 I too was watching a few unpainted items that I really wanted in the store: Narrow Passages (love the 45s and wanted some more cheaper wall options) and Dungeon Passage #4 (wanted to try these myself along with #3 to see if I am happy with the alignment problems - I may try shaving my corners to adjust the fit issues). I knew that the Dungeon Passage #4 was down to 1 qty and the Narrow Passages were down to 5 qty (I wanted to order 2 packs of these). So I put together an order for these which was a couple hundred dollars that did not go into the Kickstarter. This was based on past experience of things being out of stock for a long time, I didn't want to wait months. There was no indication these would be restocked soon, so I bought them.

Literally the day after the Kickstarter ended and after I had ordered, there were new stock amounts. I think it said there were 13 qty of the Dungeon Passage #4 packs and 44 qty of the Narrow Passages. I could have maybe waited a month to get these things and had some more money to put into the pledge manager for KS4, but I can only make decisions based on past behavior.

I think it would be in everyone's best interest if DF was very upfront about when they are expecting new inventory and a list of what items. The exact date isn't as important as the exact month. Quantities would help too, although I can see reasons to not be that specific.

Also, if they had updated the inventory during KS4, I would have waited on the store purchases a month or two and put the money in the KS. I didn't want to risk someone else buying those low quantities and having to wait 6 months or something. It's like a juggling act trying to figure out purchases from DF. I must factor in how much I want or like something, its cost, and estimated availability (based on quantity, my guess on how popular it is, my guess on how soon a restock will happen). I am literally kicking myself for not getting the resin Lake set that was in stock like 2 years ago, I didn't think at the time that it would not be reprinted.
RANT ON - U NO WANNA LISTEN, SKIP - ORIGINAL POSTER, NOT AIMED AT YOU, PLEASE NOTE

I have no inside info about whether DwF is manipulating stock levels. I relate the following to indicate why I think that's unlikely.

1-I had a pretty severe problem with one particular piece in KS3. I sent one or two emails to Suzy, and got a very large set of replacements immediately. I offered to send the problem pieces back. Suzy hasn't bothered to reply, which I take as a 'don't bother'.

2-I had one other KS3 box that was shorted and damaged. Got a replacement immediately. My offer to send photos of damage and return damaged box, both ignored (and I don't mean that negatively - DwF simply didn't ask for that proof/return).

I have been dealing with DwF for fifteen years. I have never had them question my integrity, hesitate to make anything right that was a problem (and considering how many thousands of bits I have, the problems have been a tiny percentage). I have dealt with Jay on special order issues and had him send me sets on spec, with no money up front. Now, Jay knows I'm an addict, so this may fall more into "The first hit is free" category than an enormous trust of clients....but that is how DwF does business with people they know.

I spent a lot of my life working the streets in foreign places for our intelligence service. A knack for sensing when something was not right with someone had a tendency to lengthen one's life expectancy. I have never got anything like that from any of the DwF folks I've worked with - Nate, Wondy, Suzy, Lady Sabelle, Josh, Jay, Johanna - any of them. This is subjective stuff. Its also stuff I bet my hide on a few times, so I'm pretty confident of my judgment of people - especially when I have this many years' experience with them.

Unless somebody sends me hard, court-quality proof DwF is screwing with us, I just won't believe it.

Not a criticism of the original poster. You don't have my history/experiences with DwF. You gotta go with what you know. I offer this as more evidence, not a critique.

Mistakes? Of course. More than a huge corp would make, probably. Because they are not a huge corp, with those resources. When a mistake does occur, DwF fixes it better than any big corp I ever dealt with.

I am an ornery critter, folks. I got my nickname for a reason. One time a big corp decided I owed them money and would not listen to my proofs they were nuts (I had never dealt with 'em!). So I tape recorded conversations with everybody right up to the CEO, then took them to small claims court and subpoenaed IIRC 32 people, including the entire executive suite. This was a Fortune 100 company, amigos, whose HQ just happened to be in my city. I shut that HQ down for an entire day. Just because they screwed with me. Evidence, I trust, I'm not above being a grade-A hole.

But a businessman has to earn that kind of attention.

A lot of my desire to collect DwF is simply because I love the concept and their graceful execution. Yeah, I drag nongamers down to the KZ just to look at Stefan's cavernous lakes and streams (hey, those are never in stock...maybe I'm wrong about this nefarious inventory plot business...). The guests never fail to give up a wide eyed-wow. So I get playable art as well as player-exciting terrain. But DwF's real desire to improve their income by improving our hobby, and their thoughtful, personal, kind customer service is a big attraction for me.

RANT OFF

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod