Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - updated with info on Battlements

Post by Audles » Thu May 05, 2016 6:20 pm

That probably makes sense from a logistic standpoint. I think I can see picking up a Castle pledge down the line if it's available. Just not really something I'm totally into right now.

That'd be a hell of an inventory problem to try and keep around. Thinking it through - the demand post KS on those is probably pretty small.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu May 05, 2016 6:14 pm

I have heard nothing about that, but I would not be hoping for it. Empires and Capitals pledges did not even make it to the Presale in August for KSIII.

I would get any of the large pledges now if I were going to get them.

Ramparts and Watchtowers i would expect to make the web store, maybe even with stretch goals like Hamlet and Village last time. Dunno about Castles. I think DF wants smaller add-ons mostly in the store.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu May 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Has it been said whether or not Royal Strongholds will be available later in the webstore?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Castles, I would say. Hundreds of great castles in game rooms all over the world.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Re: Royal Stronghold FAQ - updated with pledge manager info

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Thu May 05, 2016 12:35 pm

GeekJeff you are the man for putting this together!
This is such a great help for everyone (including me) I am really moved by all the folks here helping each other out! We have a really great club of enthusiasts! As I have been saying, this is truly a group effort! I feel that the extra funds we make in the pledge manager will put us over the top to reach our goal of 2M:) We had so many more people working this year, and higher rents, but it looks like we will be good! We believed in our fans, we had faith, and the support for this massive project was achieved! Without a doubt, the greatest modular castle ever dreamed up! A collaborative effort!

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:50 am

Thx geekjeff - great help to start with !!!

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Post by DWChancellor » Wed May 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Oh thank goodness you're on top of things GeekJeff. Thanks a ton! This exactly what I need to start.. this and a PM invite.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Wed May 04, 2016 3:38 am

My breakdown of this set during the Kickstarter got a lot of attention, please share your thoughts now that we have all the final composition and numbers.

For my part, I am now leaning strongly towards the Royal Stronghold route with just one pack of each of those "Stretch Goal replacement" addons, to get a sampler of everything for $139. Maybe add on the Battlements upgrades, and the Roof Platforms, and Flagstone Floors for build versatility.

That's about as much castle as I could imagine needing for my table. For now. :lol:

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Royal Stronghold FAQ - added Double GC comparison builds

Post by geekjeff » Wed May 04, 2016 3:23 am

Royal Stronghold FAQ - updated 5/9/16, added double GC comparisons
More questions? Corrections? Post below and I’ll get answers and update!
Please note: all prices mentioned here are for Unpainted sets. Painted sets usually end up about 30% higher but check in the pledge manager to be sure.

What is the Royal Stronghold? This thing looks complicated.
This preconfigured pledge level is a highly customized variant of the Grand Citadel expert pledge. It does NOT qualify for stretch goals, but it comes with the following upgrades:
- extra 6” diameter towers in the front, and enough extra parts to make all 4 towers 5 stories high. (That’s enough to make over 36” of standalone tower height!)
- a pair of small 4” diameter upper towers in the back corners, with a set of conical roofs
- Double Thick wall across the back
- interior walls in the courtyard
- a 4”x8” keep room in the middle of the courtyard, and a nice 4”x6” building on top of the keep
- a nice assortment of Crenellations and Battlements to cover all your walls
- a nice assortment or décor and accessory pieces to partially replace the stretch goals.

How does that compare to building the same thing with an Expert Pledge?
You can’t replicate the Royal Stronghold exactly with the parts on offer in the Kickstarter, but you can make a pretty comparable fortress by purchasing the following gigantic pile of parts:
1x Grand Citadel pledge, 2x Watchtower pledges, 2x Wizard’s Hut Pledges, 2x Tower Transitions, 2x Cutout Corner Walls, 1x Large Palace Tower, 1x Large Tower Breakout, 1x Castle Inside Walls, 1x Ramparts Inside Walls, 1x Modular Walls of Doom, 1x Castle Double Thick Walls, 1x Castle Crenellations, 1x Transition Battlements, 1x Straight Battlements, 1x Corner Battlements, 1x Stone Advanced Builder Set, 1x Square Roof Platforms, 1x LED Illuminated Floors, 1x LED Lantern Posts

The grand total for all that comes to $1916 vs the Royal Stronghold bargain at $1500, BUT the expert pledge does include extras of a lot of great parts (because you have to purchase whole addons packs), offers slightly more modular construction, and it also includes a whopping 6x Stretch Goal sets.

What about those Stretch Goals and extra parts? What would it cost to add them to the Royal Stronghold?
If you just want a few Stretch Goals bonuses for completion's sake, you can get the rough equivalent of 2 Stretch sets for $139 by purchasing 1 each of Siege Defense, Siege Equipment, Flags & Gargoyles, and Chromatic Orbs. (You also get a few pieces here which weren't even in the initial Kickstarter offering like Mantlets and Greek Fire Projectors.)
It’s not a perfect match, but you can get the rough equivalent of the Expert pledge’s 6 sets of stretch goals by adding the following addons to your Royal Stronghold pledge: 3x Siege Defense, 2x Siege Equipment, 2x Flag and Gargoyle, and 2x Chromatic Orb for a total of $320.
To pickup most of the other building perks the Expert pledge offers, you could add 1x Roof Platforms, 1x Flagstone Floors, and 1x Wall Platforms for a total of $80.

Total of Royal Stronghold plus these stretch goal replacement addons is $1900, vs the Expert option at $1916. So the sets come out very close in value, if you really gotta have all the stretch goals.

What extra parts does the Expert option provide? What special parts does the Royal Stronghold offer?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Check the linked Google Docs spreadsheet for details, but briefly:
The expert pledge option includes double the number of Straight and Corner Battlements, some extra Roof Platforms, Tower Half Floors & Flagstone Floor tiles, the alternate LED floor pack covers, and some miscellaneous décor bits. It also includes 2 extra LED socketed large tower walls.
The Royal Stronghold includes a very nice little building on top of the keep with hard to collect Gargoyle posts and Abbey windows. In place of this, I’ve added a Stone Advanced Builder set to the expert pledge build.

What if I want to upgrade from Crenellations to Battlements?
You have several options here. Most versatile but most expensive is the Battlements Mega Pack – full Battlements all around, even if you choose to break out all the towers, plus some fun extra parts.
Midrange - buy 2x Battlement Transitions, 1x Straight Battlements, 1x Corner Battlements. This will cover all the walls and Gatehouse in battlements with all the towers integrated.
Economy option – buy 1x Battlement Transitions, 1x Straight Battlements, move all the Battlements from inside the keep to the front and move all the Crenellations from the front and Gatehouse into the center. This gives you Battlements outside, Crenellations inside. (The Gatehouse gets 2 Corner, 2 straight Battlements so the inside wall has no overhang - the look will be consistent with the rest of the interior walls.)
All of these options free up 14 Rampart Crenellations to use elsewhere in your city!
Special Note: to use Battlements on top of any Gatehouse or upgraded Drawbridge, you need something to make the section above the Drawbridge at least 2” taller so the Battlement corbels will be clear of the crests or arches below. The new Mega Battlements pack includes parts to do this, other good options include: part of a Square Tower or Stone Advanced Builder addon, or some other City Builder stone parts from your collection.
See Elye’s video for a clear demonstration of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dELqv9PtST4

To surround a Royal Citadel with mountains/cliffs, what do I need?
You will need one Erinthor Mountains megapack plus at least one extra Mountain Cliffs addon to make it work well.

What if I want to make it bigger in the future?
First, carefully check the size of your gaming table. Really, this thing is already pretty darn huge. ;)
You can extend the footprint by 8 inches in either direction by purchasing 1x Straight Walls, and 1x Ramparts Inside Walls or 1x Modular Walls of Doom.
You’ll need to plan for floors (8x8 Flagstone Floor packs, or use City Builder or Dungeon floors) and either Crenellations or Battlements as appropriate. The Ramparts Crenellation pack conveniently adds 8 pieces to match perfectly with a Straight Walls set. Battlements, you have to buy in sets of 12.

What if I want to break out some of the included 6” diameter towers to use elsewhere?
Large Tower Breakout packs are designed for exactly this, but the Royal Stronghold has the "corner filler" pieces for the walls baked in and the corner platforms will work ok as is. Breakout packs are semi-optional, but you will lose some height on your towers if you break them out without the add-on. (More details later.)

Can I add Double Thick walls all around?
Yes, just purchase the "Citadel/Grand Citadel Double Thick Wall Pack" (and if you're doing the Expert pledge option, remove the Castle Double Thick Wall pack.)
Alternate option for Royal Stronghold: buy 1x Castle Double Thick pack, 1x Cube Spacers, 1x Square Roof Platforms. Close to the same price, you get extra 8x8 roof platforms, but you don't have the decorative corbels on the outside of your wall platforms.
Note that if you go double thick, you will also want to swap the included Ramparts Crenellations out for KS3 Crenellations or upgrade to Battlements, and use KS3 Crenellations or 2x2 floor tiles on the inside edge of the wall.

What changes or additions did Royal Stronghold get between the Kickstarter close and the Pledge Manager?
Four free LED Socketed 6” Tower Walls were added.
Tower floors composition was reworked to allow easier breakout of towers (fewer ¾ floors, more full floors.)
Large Round Battlement design was reworked to center around a new round tower floor with trapdoor, so some 2x2 floor tiles and 2x2 trapdoor floor tiles were removed and replaced with the new stronger design.
Some pieces were replaced with functional equivalents because various things were cut for design reasons – non-arrowslit corner walls went away, and all instances of Flag B were switched to Flag C.
Some typos in the parts list were corrected, mainly involving Gatehouse components and CBS LED torch walls.

I’m an international backer, does that change the shipping math for me?
YES. Going with the Royal Stronghold + adddons instead of the Expert pledge suggested above will save you anywhere from $130-300 in shipping costs, depending on your destination. That’s even before any import taxes are factored in.
Check carefully in the Pledge Manager for yourself, but the Preconfigured pledges like Royal Stronghold are a particularly great deal for international backers.
Last edited by geekjeff on Mon May 09, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.