Helping the Undecided

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by geekjeff » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:02 am

AstroCat wrote: Ramparts - Painted x1 $230.00 (siege set scene/town entrance/attack/etc...)
Runic Theme Mega Pack - Painted x1 $225.00 (flavor for our games in all sets)
Necromancer Mega Pack - Painted x1 $250.00 (flavor for our games in all sets)
Hi Astrocat,

Everyone has different priorities of course, but it seems like you do like the castle stuff and would like to have a little of it at least. Those decor Megapacks just seem like so much overkill for one Watchtower and one Ramparts. For the price of those 3 items on your list above ($705) you are SO close to the price of a painted Count's Castle, which is a complete setup out of the box with room to grow. You still get one set of stretch goals from the Watchtower set.

Smaller decor packs you could pick up later, truly the Megapacks are scaled to decorate a Citadel pledge or something wvwn larger. The only things the Megapacks get you which aren't available in smaller packs are the thrones, and eh... they don't really do it for me, not for the cost. The decor Megapacks will probably be available on the webstore, and it's even possible the thrones will end up available in something smaller (no guarantees of course, but clearly the demand is there.)
Last edited by geekjeff on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Post by AstroCat » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:16 am

I did tons of KS1 KS2 and KS3 but this time around I gotta keep a "real" budget, $1000 max.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thinking:

Watchtower - Painted x1 $260.00 (adventure location and use with Ramparts)
Erinthor Mountains - Painted x1 $385.00 (use with all the other sets)
Ramparts - Painted x1 $230.00 (siege set scene/town entrance/attack/etc...)
Runic Theme Mega Pack - Painted x1 $225.00 (flavor for our games in all sets)
Necromancer Mega Pack - Painted x1 $250.00 (flavor for our games in all sets)

Balance Due: $1,090.00 (close enough ;) )

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Yes, I'm p3 in the KS comments. Thanks for your reply. I'm leaning towards option 2 now after reading what you wrote. It seems straight forward to add more mountain bits down the road, whereas it's hard to know exactly what parts of the castles will make it to the store.

I don't have any terrain, I'm mostly a board gamer that plays simple skirmish games like D&D attack wing and the like. I'm venturing into new territory here :)

I'll look into squeezing in wall platforms -- I'm trying to save every possible dollar as I'm already way over budget.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:39 pm

@period3 (are you p3 in the Kickstarter comments?)

I think options 2 and 3 give you the most bang for your buck/table coverage for skirmish/wargaming.

How much outdoorsy/mountain terrain do you already have? Option 3 will give you more of that of course.

Option 2 gives you a hell of a castle, an nice starter set for City Builder, the option for quite a few towers. Potentially over 80" of single sided city wall I think, although you don't have enough wall platforms for it (were you going double high and skipping lower platforms I think?)
And still a lot of outdoor/cavern terrain with option 2.

Option 1 is some nice bling for your castle, but less coverage/less versatile. For my money, I'd go with what gets you the best/biggest starter setup in the KS and add the smaller (generally less markup and shipping) bits once it hits retail.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:47 pm

I need help with my pledge. I have a base pledge that is common to all of the options I'm considering, I'm just not sure where to go. I play skirmish and board games, but not RPGs right now. I also really like the KS2 cavern pieces, so I'm definitely in for one set of Erinthor mountains to complement those, but I'm really not sure how much I'll need. (play space is 6' x 3'2") I don't own any dwarven forge stuff currently, but I may buy a few CBS pieces and probably a bunch of the caverns stuff.

Here's the common base pledge, followed by the additional options I'm considering:

(fourth number is total cost shipped to Canada, the others are # of units, base cost, and shipping cost, respectively)

Base
====
Counts Castle 1 585 80 665
Erinthor 1 280 30 310
Tower Bridge 1 16 5 21
2 x Stone Bridge 2 17 5 44
Ramparts Cren 1 27 5 32
Straight Wall 1 56 10 66
Inside wall 1 22 5 27
motorized drawbridge 1 69 20 89
Suspended Parapet 1 26 5 31
tower breakout 1 29 10 39
Floors 1 18 5 23
Cube spacer 1 35 10 45
TOTAL 1392

OPTION 1 (Additions to Base, Total includes cost of base pledge)
Extra Tower Bridge 1 16 5 21
2 x Small battlements 2 43 5 96
Small tower balconey 1 27 5 32
Elevation Pack 1 57 20 77
Cliff pack 1 45 10 55
Small tower palace 1 40 10 50
TOTAL 1723

OPTION 2 (Additions to Base, Total includes cost of base pledge)
Extra Inside Walls 1 22 5 27
2 x Wall spacers 2 17 5 44
2 x Sq Tower 2 78 20 196
2 x sq tower battlements 2 27 5 64
TOTAL 1723

OPTION 3 (Additions to Base, Total includes cost of base pledge)
Extra Tower Bridge 1 16 5 21
Extra Erinthor Mountains 1 280 30 310
TOTAL 1723

Option 1: adds battlements and ability to separate out two 4 high towers that I can connect with a bridge. Adds a few more mountain bits.

Option 2: Allows for a double high front wall with square towers at the corner. (square towers will each use 2 corner crenellations taken from the pool of 6 I have available (gatehouse+drawbridge+breakout). Square battlements for extra possibilities. Maybe I can get a front barbican going with cubes, spacers, and half towers, though I would be short two half tower roofs and would have to make something.

Option 3: Going big on mountains.

Any thoughts on what would give me the most modularity, and any recommendations on how to figure out much mountain stuff I should buy? Anything obvious missing? Thanks!

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Audles wrote:
geekjeff wrote:
There's still time...
Lol, you guys are too much. But I think I've spent what I'm gonna spend and I'm happy with the result. It'd have been different had they done the cool gatehouse set they talked about. But as is, I think I'm happy to have escaped spending marginally less than I did in KS3. Castles can wait for another day.
If you're talking about the barbican, you can build it with the following:
2 x Small Fortified Towers (could get away with 1 maybe, but I prefer the half pieces for this)
2 x Small Round Crenellations (again could get away with 1, but one of the pieces would have a trapdoor)
1 x Stone Advanced Builder Set
1 x Manual Drawbridge Upgrade

$241 unpainted or $328 Painted. Assuming you get all 6 add-ons and already have a pledge level with gatehouse.
Thanks, that'll help future me figure that out. That's actually pretty funny. I did get the stone advanced builder and small fortified towers. Just no other castle pieces since I couldn't figure out how to make any of the sets work. I ended up with a watchtower and a ton of add-ons. Including two painted Erinthor sets. I really thought about getting those unpainted, but changed my mind at the last minute. Painting that much mountain actually just doesn't seem like it'd be that much fun in January when I'll (likely) be finished with school and looking for a job. :)

Stormfury
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Stormfury » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:26 am

Audles wrote:
geekjeff wrote:
Audles wrote:Huh, I'm glad I didn't look at at this thread before settling on my own. This could have dragged me back in toward considering castle pieces. I really like the gatehouse build you've got there.
There's still time...
Lol, you guys are too much. But I think I've spent what I'm gonna spend and I'm happy with the result. It'd have been different had they done the cool gatehouse set they talked about. But as is, I think I'm happy to have escaped spending marginally less than I did in KS3. Castles can wait for another day.
If you're talking about the barbican, you can build it with the following:
2 x Small Fortified Towers (could get away with 1 maybe, but I prefer the half pieces for this)
2 x Small Round Crenellations (again could get away with 1, but one of the pieces would have a trapdoor)
1 x Stone Advanced Builder Set
1 x Manual Drawbridge Upgrade

$241 unpainted or $328 Painted. Assuming you get all 6 add-ons and already have a pledge level with gatehouse.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Mon May 30, 2016 8:57 pm

So I think I am landing on the RS and I won't be able to do the barbican I love dearly while it is in castle form (and I think that's fine).

I did come up with this design - and I think it gets me most of everything to play with - I hope it is feasible. I assume RS is the best starting location for it, even though I won't be using any of the crenellations. I think this one would work because the towers on RS are 6 high. I think it would be a cool looking barbican and I can do battlements straight across the top since both the gates and square towers would end at the same height.

2x Square Towers, Mega Battlement pack, 1 battlement transition, 1 straight battlement. Does the RS come with enough moveable pieces to create this? I'd like to do the towers + gate as one piece. Though I think the first level of the gatehouse won't let me do that, but the second level might.
castle_final2.png
castle_final2.png (9.08 KiB) Viewed 4080 times

or do I need to create the following - and if that is the case what else is needed beyond 1wall pack, 1 inside wall & courtyard floor pack
castle_final1.png
castle_final1.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
-edit- I just realized another way to get the same sort of setup for maybe a bit less. If you use corner walls and create a double wall at the front, you can break up one of those square towers to get both sides of the gatehouse to 4 high. Then instead of buying the gatehouse drawbridge or battlement mega pack, use parts of the second square tower on top of the gatehouse. Leaves extra funds for more stuff. I think it works?? The blue squares are where you would build the tower using walls as the base
castle_final3.png
castle_final3.png (13.21 KiB) Viewed 4070 times

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu May 26, 2016 3:37 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Audles wrote:Huh, I'm glad I didn't look at at this thread before settling on my own. This could have dragged me back in toward considering castle pieces. I really like the gatehouse build you've got there.
There's still time...

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Tue May 24, 2016 9:59 pm

geekjeff wrote:Sure, although maybe I should wait until the pledge manager closes to preserve people's sanity and the (relative) safety of their poor, poor wallets.
But you want to prevent any regret that may occur as a failure to visualize right??? :)

Return to “Kickstarter 4 - Castles”